We are who we are

Well, as to the topic title, if we are who we want to be then we're an elite college program on the mend after two decades of several coaches failing.   Just recently eight straight road losses going back to 2017.  Zero points in OT in five years.  We've analysed and debated just about every single loss as they occurred over those twenty years.  We've hoped this and that would happen with this or that new coach, with this or that "great" quarterback, with this or that freaking Athletic Director.  

We keep making changes in staff to make it happen.  We wait for the current class to wash out over time so the new coach can instil his program/culture/schemes fresh so that he can "right the ship."

And the years go by.   Could it be that "who we are" is really what we were?   We've gone so long losing now that college football itself has changed since we were last winners.   Recruiting to Nebraska is not easy now and was a bit easier then.. but the whole NCAA culture has itself changed. 

If there weren't so many glaring problems I would say this can get ironed out in a few games, but I'm afraid it will rear it's ugly head at various times during this season.  I say, give it a while and get a second quarterback coached up and give him a try, if for no other reason, to give Martinez a chance to sit and get his head back in the game.  I saw Martinez many times during the game with a headset on and I think he is getting overloaded, which you see in young quarterbacks.

4 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Before the season, I tried to say that we need to be okay with 7-5 and a lot of people on here called me crazy.

Super young offensive line and unproven defense. Blocking and tackling folks, that's what it's about, and for more than half the game, we didn't do either. 6-6 and bowl game. Get that, and it's progress. If you can't stomach that, jump off the bandwagon, because Frost is here for 7 years, and I'm okay with that.

Stay the course, recruit, and condition better. Firing coaches is what got us into this mess. (Yes, Riley should have been fired. Before that.) 

Frost should get 7 or 8 years as long they are not embarassing themselves.  Besides, what's after that?  Unknown. He's really the last hope and tie to the glory years.  

4 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Before the season, I tried to say that we need to be okay with 7-5 and a lot of people on here called me crazy.

Super young offensive line and unproven defense. Blocking and tackling folks, that's what it's about, and for more than half the game, we didn't do either. 6-6 and bowl game. Get that, and it's progress. If you can't stomach that, jump off the bandwagon, because Frost is here for 7 years, and I'm okay with that.

Stay the course, recruit, and condition better. Firing coaches is what got us into this mess. (Yes, Riley should have been fired. Before that.) 

Frost should get 7 or 8 years as long they are not embarassing themselves.  Besides, what's after that?  Unknown. He's really the last hope and tie to the glory years.  

2 hours ago, dtbugeater said:

A good offensive line makes most of the problems go away. That may not happen this year and to be fair it is unreasonable to think this rebuild would be complete after one year. Many pieces are already in place, but one very important piece is not. 

I agree and what concerns me is that Frost isn’t recruiting big lineman. As if this isn’t a concern for him. I felt like this is what we needed immediately when he was hired. It seems like SF wants to build a UCF team and offense for the BIG. I am not sure that works.  

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, lincoln84 said:

I agree and what concerns me is that Frost isn’t recruiting big lineman. As if this isn’t a concern for him. I felt like this is what we needed immediately when he was hired. It seems like SF wants to build a UCF team and offense for the BIG. I am not sure that works.  

Dude have you looked at the lineman he's recruiting? Bryce Benhart who we signed this year is 6'8" and 305. Our top lineman prospect this year is 6'6" 280 and will easily grow over 300 pounds. 4 other lineman we recruited last year are 6'6" or 6'7". The smallest recruit last year was 6'4" and he's working at center 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Dude have you looked at the lineman he's recruiting? Bryce Benhart who we signed this year is 6'8" and 305. Our top lineman prospect this year is 6'6" 280 and will easily grow over 300 pounds. 4 other lineman we recruited last year are 6'6" or 6'7". The smallest recruit last year was 6'4" and he's working at center 

So the pipeline is full? Cool.

16 hours ago, SFW said:

You want the truth... you can’t handle the truth.

The reason for optimism was 4 wins???

Say the name of those teams out loud to yourself again.

Minnesota 

Bethune Cookman

illinois

Michigan St.  horrible offense.

You think the season ahead will be fun?   

The rest of the season will test the culture tremendously.  I pray it doesn’t fall apart.

6 wins will be a miracle!

Keeping for future crow eating

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I hope this is the case, because you need different tools in your toolbelt to win different game situations. We needed a steamrolling, 3.4 yds/carry (and a cloud of dust) offensive line and running back to run out the clock and win the game with the lead and 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Calling a pass play is playing into the other teams hope for enough clock to stage an improbable comeback (which is what happened). When it is time to kick a field goal you need a field goal kicker. And when it is time to run out the clock you need a run out the clock playcall and the talent to pull it off. We had none of the last three things mentioned and it was just enough to leave the door open a crack for Colorado and they kicked the door open.

2 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I hope this is the case, because you need different tools in your toolbelt to win different game situations. We needed a steamrolling, 3.4 yds/carry (and a cloud of dust) offensive line and running back to run out the clock and win the game with the lead and 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Calling a pass play is playing into the other teams hope for enough clock to stage an improbable comeback (which is what happened). When it is time to kick a field goal you need a field goal kicker. And when it is time to run out the clock you need a run out the clock playcall and the talent to pull it off. We had none of the last three things mentioned and it was just enough to leave the door open a crack for Colorado and they kicked the door open.

I totally agree. I think that the offensive line is the spot it will take the longest for Frost's recruiting to impact. Will those guys develop into great players idk but I hope so and I'll trust Frost to make it happen.