Reality

BigPeterJ

Hoping to write out my (our?) Emotions. After settling down, what is the reality of what we witnessed today?

After the first half, we had the gane put away.  Colorado was down and out, all we had to do was come out and put one more score on the board and it was essentially over. 

After watching the beginning of the 3rd, i was worried.  Where is the killer instinct? Why do we look like we are half asleep?  We lost this game right here.  

This is on our coaches.  I dont know what the halftime speech was, but we could have ended the game right here.  Put them away. Instead we came out flat.

What i observed, is that we were the better team.  That is the positive news, we have the personnel to be good.  We looked like a top 25 team tbh.  So why did we lose to a very average Colorado team, and a bad defense?  Coaching.  I love Frost, and think he is the best guy for us, but coaching lost us this game.  

In summary, what we should be most dissapointed in is our lack of offense (specifically in the 3rd).  We played scared, what happened to the no fear of failure preached by our coaches? Where is the 2AM running game? Where is the tight end passing game? The playcalling? 

These last 4 questions are where im upset.  And they ALL come down to coaching.  Give Frost and staff time, but make no mistake, our players didnt lose this game, it was our coaching, specifically our offensive play caller, specifically Frost.  He is a great coach, but he is human, and this game showed us all that fact.  Our defense DID NOT lose this game, it was our offense, and specifically the play calling, specifically Frost.  Peace and love to our Huskers.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I agree the game management was awful.

How do you open the second half with a timeout?  I knew right there we would lose.

Not to mention, 2 runs and a freaking knee in overtime?

Giving up 31 points in the second half, to a bad team?  

The question that has me really scared is.  

How will the culture hold up to the stormy seas ahead?  

Hold on tight this is gonna get ugly!

Could get ugly. Sadly, this was a huge game that we should have won, and lost. No way to sugarcoat it, we needed this win and didnt get it.  No excuses.  We practiced good, we were up for the game, we needed this win, we had a home crowd, we were playing a below average team, we were healthy enough, we had already played our first game, we were NOT in our first year unlike Colorado.  More specifically on offense, we were going against a BAD Colorado defense, and we still couldnt produce.   Our offense is dissapointing.

I really don’t even know what to say about this game. It’s so disappointing and yet so familiar. We just cannot ever seem win those games that show we have turned a corner. We have had no identity as a program for years. I am bothered by the toughness (lack of) and resilience of our team, even under Frost. 

Reality set in looking over the remaining schedule.  Based on our performance and what I have observed of other teams I categorized the matchups.

OSU, Wisconsin, and Iowa are definite losses. 

NW, Purdue, Maryland are probable losses. 

Minny, NIU, Illinois, Indiana are possible wins. 

There are no definite wins.

I took into consideration that due to early season hype and not being winless, no team will take us lightly.  A loss to NIU and getting rocked by OSU could cause total collapse in which case we might be able to sneak up on a team or two later in the season but who really cares at that point.

Possibly another 4-8 season or 5 wins.  Making a bowl game looks unlikely.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Reality set in looking over the remaining schedule.  Based on our performance and what I have observed of other teams I categorized the matchups.

OSU, Wisconsin, and Iowa are definite losses. 

NW, Purdue, Maryland are probable losses. 

Minny, NIU, Illinois, Indiana are possible wins. 

There are no definite wins.

I took into consideration that due to early season hype and not being winless, no team will take us lightly.  A loss to NIU and getting rocked by OSU could cause total collapse in which case we might be able to sneak up on a team or two later in the season but who really cares at that point.

Possibly another 4-8 season or 5 wins.  Making a bowl game looks unlikely.  

I agree 100%. I just dont get it. That timeout to start second half blew me away. I immediately said to myself “we are going to lose this game”. To come out after halftime and call a timeout was very unsettling. IMHO we are way overthinking on offense and trying get the RIGHT matchups as opposed to simply getting after it. 6-6 looks reasonable to me. Or maybe this was the turning point with the team and we end up winning the West. Who knows. 

I have to admit. I got my hopes way way up at the end of the first half. We have the potential. We are getting in our own way on offense this year. 

4 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

6-6 looks reasonable to me. Or maybe this was the turning point with the team and we end up winning the West. Who knows. 

From what you've seen, which do you feel is more likely 6-6 or winning the west?  Even if we have to suffer through hearing about a player's only meeting this week, which is required to reach a turning point, where does that get us?  Probably being a little more competitive in some games but still losses.

7 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

From what you've seen, which do you feel is more likely 6-6 or winning the west?  Even if we have to suffer through hearing about a player's only meeting this week, which is required to reach a turning point, where does that get us?  Probably being a little more competitive in some games but still losses.

I dont have a clue. Im starting to become numb to these losses. I think maybe 6-6 is more likely. Maybe 5-7. Again, I dont know. This team looked like Bama the first half. Then crapped the bed. It is very confusing. I do have a glimmer of hope that we will get it fixed. 

The online sucks and this offense is completely I'll fitting for the big ten.  You need to come out in the third qtr and the pound the ball.  Listening to frost say he doesnt like the 10 or 12 play drives is incredibly alarming.  That is the exact thing that you need to close out games like that.  The defense has been better but the offense makes it very tough on them.

• Fire 1

Junk offense, horrid D-scheme, and group of coaches that are WAY out of their league coaching Power-5 Ball (from Frost to Chinander, and on down the list).  The hiring of Frost and Co. was a mistake; especially with the contract that handcuffs the University from cleaning house again over the next few years.

Ugh.

7 minutes ago, Bo Riley said:

Junk offense, horrid D-scheme, and group of coaches that are WAY out of their league coaching Power-5 Ball (from Frost to Chinander, and on down the list).  The hiring of Frost and Co. was a mistake; especially with the contract that handcuffs the University from cleaning house again over the next few years.

Ugh.

:o

Honestly...the last 4 years and the BC era really show just how impressive what Bo did really was...

I really don't think Frost is in over his head or anything like that...I just think that when you look at recruiting rankings you have to realize that once you get past like the top 30 guys (or so) for each position it is pretty much a HUGE guessing game.  NU has pretty average players with pretty average coaching.

• Plus1 1

How did the culture hold up last year when we started 0-6? One thing Frost showed me in year 1 is he keeps the team moving forward, getting better. This is not the team we will see play Iowa. That is what makes it hard for me to predict the rest of our season. We have showed we can pit it together and look good. Frost has shown his teams improve down the stretch. I don't think we win the West anymore, but we will figure it out at some point and when we do watch out