From the outside looking in.

Well this is my first post here on Huskerboard and hopefully it wont be my last. I have looked at this board for a few years and have enjoyed reading everything up until yesterday.

It seems to me that people just want the instant gratification of having a winning season, blowing out opponents by 35 points by half time, and a team that will just dominate right out of the gate. Well safe to say that is not whats going on. It seems to me people have forgotten how long it took Osborne before he got his championship team together. It took 22 years with multiple 9-2, 9-3, 10-2 seasons to get his national champion team and titles that we all know so well and want back so badly myself included. The amount of fair weather fans I am seeing and the comments I have been reading about getting frost fired and replaced are not only making my blood boil but also upsets me. We all just need to calm down let the coaches do there thing. The people who just want the instant gratification should just take a step back and think about all the hard work that Tom Osborne put in. Now for the record I am 32 years old so I was a little guy when everything came together I never saw all the work that went in to get the national championships of the 90s. 

You know this is Nebraska we are hard working people, we all know what hard work is, and we all know if we work hard toward something that we well get that. It just seems to me that some people have forgotten what hard work is or dont know what hard work is or a goal for that matter and working toward a goal and I think thats the trouble with some people. People need to take a step back and take a deep breath and just enjoy the ride. I had a feeling with all the hype people would get there hopes up way to high then have it come crashing down after a loss like this. Think about last season and think about these first two games and how much of a change there is.  I am happy with just about everything and IMO the team is 100% better from last year still rough around the edge but I think we are getting there. Just have patience people and cool your egos we will get there it will just take time. And if you cant then maybe you need to do some self evaluation about your life and were your at.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

I think we are fine with rebuild, but the team we played has a first year head coach that's 2-0, and our coach went 0-6 and now is 1-1 in his second year. Further, our team doesn't look any different today than the past 4 years (Mike Riley Era). 

What also concerns me is the hubris from Scott Frost, trash-talking from our players (yes, we talked the most trash during the week), and the lack of conditioning and leadership. We also are a bunch of whiners. We whined for 365 about what a CU player did to a Nebraska player. We whined and tattled to the Big Ten and the Pac 12. When did the Big Red become Big Victims?  

I remember laughing at Chad May as a teenager when he whined and complained about Nebraska being a dirty team. The reason he was complaining was because KSU lost! Now we are doing the same thing. We used that injury as an excuse and it let the players off the hook.

It's all a bunch of Big Red Koolaid. Our talent is also depleted than what it was just 4 years ago. Our talent may actually be worse than last year. 

Scott Frost brought his entire coaching staff from UCF. He should be thinking that maybe what worked at UCF isn't going to work here. I think some coaches should be on the hotseat. Not during the season, but changes should happen at the end of the season.

The other problem we are at the mercy of Adrian Martinez. They have to start him, because deep down, they fear if they bench him, he would transfer. The number one job of a quarterback is not to run, but to pass the football with accuracy and consistency. We have no vertical threat - and that's not all on AM. We lack size and separation at the wide receiver position. Additionally,  we miss Kade Warner. But the lack of the passing threat is hurting our running game. 

I can't help but look over to the CU sideline and see a team that went 5-7 last year, and see the first year head coach changing the culture immediately. That's what we thought Scott Frost would do. 

15 minutes ago, huskerstud88 said:

Well this is my first post here on Huskerboard and hopefully it wont be my last. I have looked at this board for a few years and have enjoyed reading everything up until yesterday.

It seems to me that people just want the instant gratification of having a winning season, blowing out opponents by 35 points by half time, and a team that will just dominate right out of the gate. Well safe to say that is not whats going on. It seems to me people have forgotten how long it took Osborne before he got his championship team together. It took 22 years with multiple 9-2, 9-3, 10-2 seasons to get his national champion team and titles that we all know so well and want back so badly myself included. The amount of fair weather fans I am seeing and the comments I have been reading about getting frost fired and replaced are not only making my blood boil but also upsets me. We all just need to calm down let the coaches do there thing. The people who just want the instant gratification should just take a step back and think about all the hard work that Tom Osborne put in. Now for the record I am 32 years old so I was a little guy when everything came together I never saw all the work that went in to get the national championships of the 90s. 

Wow, we are setting the bar at a winning season. Sounds like we are Illinois. With the resources and support this university has, I think 8 or 9 win seasons, with a conference championship game appearance sprinkled in every 2 or 3 is reasonable. From what I’ve seen, that is what a lot of people on this board believe in. Yea the hype train’s brakes were cut and was rolling out of control, but every fan base does that. Go check out any other team’s forum over the summer. 

Maybe there’s is still a culture problem, maybe these kids don’t know how to win, or maybe we hyped up this staff and expected a UCF year 2. I just think the execution is poor and this staff gets outcoached far too often. The coaches had a great first half game plan. Montez hates pressure. Dude curls up 1 second before getting hit. Chin decided to stop bringing pressure. Montez with no pressure is a great pocket passer. We all could tell he is scared of pressure, and maybe the defense was just worn down, but it’s frustrating.