Faith

I have faith that Scott Frost will right this ship. I was at the game yesterday, and it was heartbreaking, frustrating, and a let down. But we must all remember that we have a head coach who cares about this program. I have faith Frost is trying to rebuild this thing the right way. Callahan despised the Osborne legacy, Pelini was not mentally stable to handle the pressure, Riley did not care. I don't even need to get started with the Eichorst. I know we have a coach who bleeds for this program. Frost inherited a team that was not held accountable. It was embarrassing seeing the physical difference between the Huskers and teams like Michigan and Iowa. I believe the hype is part of why we all feel so bad and have lost perspective on where this program was the last few years. 

It is clear Martinez in not comfortable and the run game is an issue. This team is young, there is a lot of growing that needs to occur, from the players to the head coach, but I have faith that Scott Frost has the programs best interest at heart and will find a way to turn this around. Next week this team will respond in a big way. I expect to see a lot more zone read and designed runs for Martinez. 

Go Big Red

NU 48

NIU 17

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1

Faith is pretending.  Not with regard to religion, of course;  then it's an important connection.  But with regard to sports teams faith is a pretence.  Sometimes it pans out and we have our faith validated.  Sometimes it doesn't pan out and we cling to the faith.   But either way it's just pretending that everything is okay.  Doing that now, pretending that everything is okay, is patently absurd and demeaning to our sensibilities.  Everything is not okay.  There is something deeply wrong with the Nebraska football program and has been for a long long time. 

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Faith is pretending.  Not with regard to religion, of course;  then it's an important connection.  But with regard to sports teams faith is a pretence.  Sometimes it pans out and we have our faith validated.  Sometimes it doesn't pan out and we cling to the faith.   But either way it's just pretending that everything is okay.  Doing that now, pretending that everything is okay, is patently absurd and demeaning to our sensibilities.  Everything is not okay.  There is something deeply wrong with the Nebraska football program and has been for a long long time. 

So should a coach be able to fix that in a season and 2 games? If you're saying that the past 20 years have happened because there is something deeply wrong we should at least give Frost time to fix it. 

• Plus1 1

All of that is sage advice if you are playing OSU, Wisconsin etc...that is coming and we can all excuse those losses with “patience”. But we lose to teams who have/had losing records, who are underdogs, blah blah. THAT is what is hard to stomach. When you can’t beat inferior teams with a 17pt lead your team isn’t very good.

I am all in on Frost but it is quite sobering to think we have to wait years more just to get where we were with Pelini. I saw nothing in the first 2 games that shows me we have made any steps forward from where we were 3 years ago. I don’t understand how that is possible.  

It absolutely stinks we have to wait more time with Frost as oppose to Pelini, but Pelini inherited a vastly superior team from an overall talent aspect. The issue is that Eichorst and Riley did a real bang up job on this program. Just look at the depth. 

My point is that we have a head coach who understands how much this program means to the people of Nebraska and its fans. Frost understands it is unacceptable to lose like we did yesterday. Frost's post game was filled with emotion. The hype sort of distorted rationality. If this team wins 7 games but is competitive in every game this year, I will believe this trending in a good direction. Colorado is a rival, they were not going to lay down and quit. Now Frost is charged with figuring out how to instill a killer mentality in his players. This team needs to learn how to deliver the coup de gras