we're not that bad...

BoSolich

13 minutes ago, FTW said:

I agree. Not a lot of people realize how much of a crap job Riley truly did. He left the program with some offensive lineman that probably wouldn't make 2nd or 3rd string at other P5 schools. 

To be fair though Jaimes is pretty nasty. Not to defend Riley, but at least we have Jaimes haha

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

To be fair though Jaimes is pretty nasty. Not to defend Riley, but at least we have Jaimes haha

Need to be two deep at the O-Line at Nebraska. It irks me when we go after JUCO skill players. The immediate need is offensive line. Look at Wisconsin. They reload on the hog mollies. And they seem to plug in a 3 star running back who gets 1,000 rushing yards a season. Can't cover up the deficiency at OL for very long. Sooner or later a really good defense is going to make us look like a MAC school.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, FTW said:

Need to be two deep at the O-Line at Nebraska. It irks me when we go after JUCO skill players. The immediate need is offensive line. Look at Wisconsin. They reload on the hog mollies. And they seem to plug in a 3 star running back who gets 1,000 rushing yards a season. Can't cover up the deficiency at OL for very long. Sooner or later a really good defense is going to make us look like a MAC school.

The o-line talent is in last years recruiting class. Frost is building it. He will get it fixed.

GBR!!!

16 minutes ago, FTW said:

Like huskered17 said, Frost is building it. Benhart is an elite player, the other guys we are snagging are the type Wisconsin turns to roadgraders. I honestly think the line turns it around by years end. Jurgens is going to improve bigtime and hopefully at some point we can take Hixson out of the starting line up, slide Farniok over and get Benhart in at tackle. I think we end the year with someone else at tackle and Farniok moving inside

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Like huskered17 said, Frost is building it. Benhart is an elite player, the other guys we are snagging are the type Wisconsin turns to roadgraders. I honestly think the line turns it around by years end. Jurgens is going to improve bigtime and hopefully at some point we can take Hixson out of the starting line up, slide Farniok over and get Benhart in at tackle. I think we end the year with someone else at tackle and Farniok moving inside

Email coach Austin. Because he seems to be sticking to his guns. Jurgens is probably the one guy there that I'm proud of. Kid rebounded. You have to admire players like that.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, FTW said:

Email coach Austin. Because he seems to be sticking to his guns. Jurgens is probably the one guy there that I'm proud of. Kid rebounded. You have to admire players like that.

I don't have to email him. I don't think Benhart is ready right now, I belive they are putting the 5 players they feel best about out there. But as the season goes on I think a guy like Benhart will improve much more than a guy like Hixson and that improvement might make a different starting line up possible. The staff wasn't afraid to try new guys if things weren't working last year.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just let Benning be Benning.  He'll always take his subtle jabs at Frost.

The roster turnover was needed.  He has Riley's recruits playing better than Riley ever had them playing.....and the participation numbers include a lot of sophs and true freshmen.

• Plus1 1

Beating South Alabama at home by 2 TDs with 1 of those TDs being in the 4th quarter and then blowing the 2nd half against Colorado doesn't give me warm and fuzzies for the rest of the season. I'd love to be full of hope and positivity, but we're a 7-5 team at best the way I see it. And we may eat 3-4 embarrassing losses if the same team comes out that has been out in games 1 and 2. Here's to hoping we find a FG and we find a way to play a full 4 quarters.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FTW said:

I agree. Not a lot of people realize how much of a crap job Riley truly did. He left the program with some offensive lineman that probably wouldn't make 2nd or 3rd string at other P5 schools. 

Not only that, but losing so much conditioning/weight training just put us way behind other schools so while we may have been getting good athletes, they had no chance at developing.  Most 18 and 19 year olds aren't ready to play at the D1/P5 level, they're still growing and getting stronger.  And let's face it, we were all (probably) 18 once.  If someone says you can do your weight training on your own time or it's optional, there's a good chance you're not going to do it.  Having a structured system is so beneficial and that lost time is just that, lost time.  They're not getting that eligibility back, and they're not getting the dividends on the work that was missed.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

47 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Just let Benning be Benning.  He'll always take his subtle jabs at Frost.

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't take that as a jab at Frost.

How would Damon's post be interpreted as a jab at Frost? Guess I'm not following this too well...