we're not that bad...

BoSolich

Part of the problem isn't our high expectations, it's how quickly we expect to be "back."

Not that our current team's situation has to always be compared back to whatever Osborne did/didn't do, but in the 80s & early 90s you'd sometimes have an offensive lineman starting you'd never heard of. Then he'd go in and pancake people.

This is what a culture of a strong weight room emphasis combined with redshirting a guy does for you. Ideally, you have a kid getting big & strong for two years minimum before he sees the field. 

We can absolutely get back there. But linemen take time. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

The most frustrating thing is the disconnect that is pretty evident between the players and coaches on the field.

Up 17-0 at the start of the half, we played predictable keep away until Colorado adjusted and knocked on the door. Then we opened it up with a handful of nice playcalls and answered a couple of their scores.

The fourth and OT it’s like we forgot that the other team made adjustments and thought what worked once will always work and paid the price.

The coaches have lacked halftime adjustments and that is the biggest thing IMHO. Execution is not lacking, it’s where we are positioned and when we switch into play conservatively vs. go finish a team off.

35 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I agree with him.

I guess the question is how do you get those kind of players here? Its kind of a chicken or the egg thing. Do you have to recruit those nfl type guys before you can challenge teams? Are those guys going to want to leave home and play for Nebraska if it keeps playing this way? I don't know the answer honestly, maybe that new 140 million dollar football facility will convince them.

9 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I guess the question is how do you get those kind of players here? Its kind of a chicken or the egg thing. Do you have to recruit those nfl type guys before you can challenge teams? Are those guys going to want to leave home and play for Nebraska if it keeps playing this way? I don't know the answer honestly, maybe that new 140 million dollar football facility will convince them.

You have to have a bunch of car salesmen on your team like Bill Callahan did and a few ace recruiters who will "bend the rules" a little. Or pay your players like Saban does. Free juice too.

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

I agree with him.

Scott Shanle says some stuff about us not having enough talent

Ok, but let's talk offensively. At the skill positions we've got four incredibly talented guys:

-Martinez

-Washington

-Spielman

-Wan'Dale

There's some young talent on the line, but they're not ready yet. That's probably the difference between a team that might average roughly 35 points per game this year and a team that might average 45 next year if our line comes together.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Undone said:

Ok, but let's talk offensively. At the skill positions we've got four incredibly talented guys:

-Martinez

-Washington

-Spielman

-Wan'Dale

There's some young talent on the line, but they're not ready yet. That's probably the difference between a team that might average roughly 35 points per game this year and a team that might average 45 next year if our line comes together.

I totally agree about mention of the offensive line.  Basically their is a ton of inexperience on this year's team so the one upside is that there is still plenty of time and room for development.  To what degree of development of course we don't know at this point.  Young yet unproven talent is where we're at right now with this team.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

The most frustrating thing is the disconnect that is pretty evident between the players and coaches on the field.

Up 17-0 at the start of the half, we played predictable keep away until Colorado adjusted and knocked on the door. Then we opened it up with a handful of nice playcalls and answered a couple of their scores.

The fourth and OT it’s like we forgot that the other team made adjustments and thought what worked once will always work and paid the price.

The coaches have lacked halftime adjustments and that is the biggest thing IMHO. Execution is not lacking, it’s where we are positioned and when we switch into play conservatively vs. go finish a team off.

I really agree with this...

6 hours ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Execution is not lacking, it’s where we are positioned and when we switch into play conservatively vs. go finish a team off.

4 minutes ago, lincoln84 said:

I really agree with this...

I don't get where that is coming from.  Expectations? Not wanting to let people down?  I don't recall this kind of thing at UCF, does anyone else?  Taking your foot off the gas to burn clock when that's not what you do all the time is a recipe for allowing comebacks.  You can't expect the team to turn it on and off.  Just keep pouring it on.