Troy walters?

7 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I think it's more on Martinez now than on the WRs. For some reason, he's regressed quite a bit since last year. Part of me wonders if they've opened up his reads and are having him read the entire field vs. restricting his reads and field last year. 

The Robert Griffin slump is what I like to call that.

• Haha 2
Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

I wish he was more on the Mariotta track than Robert Griffin.

I don't know if that is the issue with Martinez or not. I'm hoping he can get it turned around and I have to think he will. But if it is an issue with opening up his reads that is textbook Robert Griffin sophmore year with the Skins 

36 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I think it's more on Martinez now than on the WRs. For some reason, he's regressed quite a bit since last year. Part of me wonders if they've opened up his reads and are having him read the entire field vs. restricting his reads and field last year. 

Probably one of the more intelligent posts I've read since Saturday night. I think this is a good possibility.

It could also be that he is going through all of his reads but he's going through them too slowly to then scan back down to his check-down guy. Missing the check-down has now happened consistently in two games.

I've posted this in another thread already but I also don't like going five wide when it's 2nd & 5 and we're up in the third quarter. Call the best version of a power run play we have and try to smash forward to setup third & short. I don't have any frustrations with Walters after Saturday; we just needed a touchdown in the early third quarter and we didn't get one.

• Fire 1

Even though AM looks timid why not go 5 wide for the rest of the season? If you can't run the damn outside of a few edge plays there is no reason to have fast 3 n outs. AM will throw picks but right now it would be more efficient. NW did that last year when Thorson threw 15 INT and they still won the West. 

JD, Wandale, Noa, Stoll, Washington

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

Even though AM looks timid why not go 5 wide for the rest of the season? If you can't run the damn outside of a few edge plays there is no reason to have fast 3 n outs.

For me it's about finding a mix of plays that are high percentage. So those are going to be wide receiver screens, bubble screens, and hitting our backs out of the flats on passing plays.

Five wide looked pretty terrible for us in that third quarter, so I personally wouldn't keep doing things that don't work. I'd look for higher percentage stuff that call for a designed quick pass instead of route reads, because he's struggling with that right now. 

I'd also try running Martinez where he's got a back or a tight end as a lead blocker. His empty backfield runs aren't good right now, but he can pick up 4 or 5 yards with a lead blocker. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

For me it's about finding a mix of plays that are high percentage. So those are going to be wide receiver screens, bubble screens, and hitting our backs out of the flats on passing plays.

Five wide looked pretty terrible for us in that third quarter, so I personally wouldn't keep doing things that don't work. I'd look for higher percentage stuff that call for a designed quick pass instead of route reads, because he's struggling with that right now. 

I'd also try running Martinez where he's got a back or a tight end as a lead blocker. His empty backfield runs aren't good right now, but he can pick up 4 or 5 yards with a lead blocker. 

You can still run that out of those formations - 5 wide included a TE and RB, who can jog back in and take a few runs. Our advantage is having some good athletes, not trying to run over teams we cannot out muscle clearly.