Northern Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

15 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

After the game he said he didn't know which odds were better, the 48 yard field goal or 4th and 14 or whatever it was. Gut was the field goal, and I would bet the odds of a D1 punter making a field goal that long are better than converting a 4th and 14+. The fact that it was an absolutely terrible kick makes it look worse, but I guarantee Armstrong can make a kick from that distance.

I would disagree. I don’t think we would have converted the 4th and 14 (momentum was gone) but you can either have a completion for a first, or a penalty such as a late hit, pass interference or defensive holding all giving you the first. The kick was probably in the 10% range. It was shanked because he may not be able to kick a field goal that far and understandably so. 

12 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

But, his hand picked QB just took a sack to make the field goal much, much harder, so I can understand how Frost might be a little unsure about which choice was best. The field goal was then a long shot, but the odds of converting 4th and 14 can't be terribly good....

According to him and Martinez he took passing away and was instructed to hand the ball off. That’s.....weird. 

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

I would disagree. I don’t think we would have converted the 4th and 14 (momentum was gone) but you can either have a completion for a first, or a penalty such as a late hit, pass interference or defensive holding all giving you the first. The kick was probably in the 10% range. It was shanked because he can’t kick a field goal that far and understandably so. 

I would guess higher on the kick probability, but even giving you 10% I don't think a 15+ yard completion or a defensive penalty would be more likely than that. Maybe on a random play, but not with the momentum and Colorado knowing we need that many yards. Add in the confidence loss from the missed block/taking a sack the play before, and I'll trust Frost had seen enough in practice to believe it was a makeable kick for Armstrong. I absolutely have issues with the playcalling leading up to it though.

20 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I would guess higher on the kick probability, but even giving you 10% I don't think a 15+ yard completion or a defensive penalty would be more likely than that. Maybe on a random play, but not with the momentum and Colorado knowing we need that many yards. Add in the confidence loss from the missed block/taking a sack the play before, and I'll trust Frost had seen enough in practice to believe it was a makeable kick for Armstrong. I absolutely have issues with the playcalling leading up to it though.

You don’t even know if the guy can kick it that far in a live game situation. From the sample size, I would say no. It went 35 yards

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

What would you have them say at a press conference after a loss?  

"We suck and we're not going to get any better"?

"We might as well quit trying because our season is over now"?

"I just hope we can win a couple games sometime this year"?

How about "Adrian is struggling to see the field. We need to simplify things, get our receivers running more crisp routes, and then deliver a ball with confidence.  We're holding the ball too long.  It's the coaches calling poor plays, receivers not doing their jobs.  And our leader thinking too much."

Or something.

The platitudes get stale.  Frost is the best man for the job.  I want him here for 25+ years.  I also want real accountability vs "Whoops, sorry honey, I just keep falling head first into those strippers' dance routines."  

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

How about "Adrian is struggling to see the field. We need to simplify things, get our receivers running more crisp routes, and then deliver a ball with confidence.  We're holding the ball too long.  It's the coaches calling poor plays, receivers not doing their jobs.  And our leader thinking too much."

Or something.

The platitudes get stale.  Frost is the best man for the job.  I want him here for 25+ years.  I also want real accountability vs "Whoops, sorry honey, I just keep falling head first into those strippers' dance routines."  

In the post game presser he said several of these or versions of them including, holding the ball too long, poor play calling on his part, not seeing the field. I think people just ignore those.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
25 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Or something.

Good lord...he was 9/9 in the first half...He finished with 370 yards of offense and 4 TD's . His rating was 172.  

I have a feeling if you saw him walking on water you would complain that he didn't know how to swim.

This was like his 12th game since his junior year of HS.  There is film out on him now...he will adjust and get even better but he had a nice game.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Good lord...he was 9/9 in the first half...He finished with 370 yards of offense and 4 TD's . His rating was 172.  

I have a feeling if you saw him walking on water you would complain that he didn't know how to swim.

This was like his 12th game since his junior year of HS.  There is film out on him now...he will adjust and get even better but he had a nice game.

Unfortunately our margins as a team are needing more first half-like games for both halves.  He's holding the ball too long, plain and simple.  Two games sample size.  I thought the 1st half of CU was very nice.  Then, not all because of Adrian, we get the 2nd half output.  

41 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Or something.

So basically, you're not struggling to understand what's wrong with the team. You just want Frost to come out and say it bluntly to somehow make you feel better.

I'm pretty sure when they review the film, Martinez will be shown how he missed some guys on their routes. Saying that to the media isn't a great move by your head coach.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

So basically, you're not struggling to understand what's wrong with the team. You just want Frost to come out and say it bluntly to somehow make you feel better.

I'm pretty sure when they review the film, Martinez will be shown how he missed some guys on their routes. Saying that to the media isn't a great move by your head coach.

When we get platitudes coupled with consistently inconsistent performances (our virtues cycle) I do wonder of the staff knows what is going wrong right now.  

And it doesn't take an erudite to see Adrian is holding the ball way too long; not able to make quick, decisive, accurate decisions in a sustainable manner.  I'm curious as to why without grossly exposing anyone.  

But if you're good with what you're getting in the pressers, enjoy 'em.  At some point, if/when the staff pinpoints what is going wrong, you have to see a change in output and outcomes.  

16 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

When we get platitudes coupled with consistently inconsistent performances (our virtues cycle) I do wonder of the staff knows what is going wrong right now.  

And it doesn't take an erudite to see Adrian is holding the ball way too long; not able to make quick, decisive, accurate decisions in a sustainable manner.  I'm curious as to why without grossly exposing anyone.  

But if you're good with what you're getting in the pressers, enjoy 'em.  At some point, if/when the staff pinpoints what is going wrong, you have to see a change in output and outcomes.  

Yeah.... because knowing we weren’t going to win an NC this year so a set back was inevitable is outrageous. The coaches are inept because we had a setback.