Northern Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This sounds good, but honestly it seemed to me Colorado got a lot of YAC because defenders were focusing more on trying to get the ball out than trying to make sure tackles.

Agreed. There was some over-pursuit also. I like the intensity, because it's a big turnaround from where we sat in the wake of the 2017 fiasco with Diaco. 

And it's fixable. I see the glass as half full on defense right now because it seems that Frost/Chinander/Duvall fixed the thing that was in my opinion the biggest issue, which was that our front seven wasn't strong enough. We've made great strides there and I think we're built to stop the run. Gotta stop the run, though.

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Right now if you can still enroll you could make their walk-on squad. :dunno

That ship has sailed.  I wouldn't mind playing for the old grump, if he didn't coach at MSU.  I didn't have much respect for him when we first joined the conference because they seemed like they played dirty but that doesn't appear to be much of an issue now. What I was trying to point out was that Dantonio delivers a very stern and direct message to the players about what they aren't doing right.  I don't recall if Urban called out players or position groups in press conferences but the way he talked you could tell he conveyed high expectations to the players.  It was almost shocking to think he was talking about amateur athletes.  Frost's MO is different and obviously effective but I think Glen Mason's thought was when seeing poor performance for long periods it's probably time to change things up a bit and jolt the players into changing their behavior.  It doesn't need to be done at a press conference.  I remember seeing Frost mic'd up at a UCF practice and he was demonstrating how DB's should fight off blocks.  He said "if you want to be good, do it this way".  That's fine but if after coaching up players a certain way and they are still not doing something correctly maybe try a different tactic.  Get them to do the right thing, win games to show that they will be rewarded for their effort, football becomes (really) fun again and winning becomes addictive.  I believe that is the culture that Frost set up at UCF and just naturally continues under Heupel.

• Plus1 1

Walters mentioned the coaches (himself specifically) needing to trust young players enough to put them in the game, and I really hope he means it. Said plenty of guys are practicing well and they always say you'll play like you practice, they just haven't been put in. I really don't know why we haven't seen guys like Rahmir Johnson or Miles Jones, but both seem like they could be in that bucket.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Undone said:

Agreed. There was some over-pursuit also. I like the intensity, because it's a big turnaround from where we sat in the wake of the 2017 fiasco with Diaco. 

And it's fixable. I see the glass as half full on defense right now because it seems that Frost/Chinander/Duvall fixed the thing that was in my opinion the biggest issue, which was that our front seven wasn't strong enough. We've made great strides there and I think we're built to stop the run. Gotta stop the run, though.

One has to love the turnovers that the D is generating. And, it was good to see the Defense dig in and hold CU to a FG in OT, when the pressure was on them. I think the down 3 are better, and able to eat up blocks. Unfortunately, I think there is a recurring theme in that Mo Barry plays poorly way too often. I mean, I like the dude, and he isn't afraid to call himself out, but he just makes too many mistakes and overruns plays far too often for a guy with his experience. The inside backers are key in stopping the run, so now that the DL is doing a better job of keeping them clean, hopefully he and Honas can execute better and make the plays with a little more consistency.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Unfortunately, I think there is a recurring theme in that Mo Barry plays poorly way too often. I mean, I like the dude, and he isn't afraid to call himself out, but he just makes too many mistakes and overruns plays far too often for a guy with his experience.

Same. It jumps off the screen every play. He's often in the neighborhood but not in good position, then attempts the tackle from a bad angle. He whiffs a lot.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Same. It jumps off the screen every play. He's often in the neighborhood but not in good position, then attempts the tackle from a bad angle. He whiffs a lot.

Yeah, he is absolutely one of my favorite players on the current team. But he is very inconsistent, I was hoping there would be improvement this year but haven't seen it so far. Still got some time, gotta think extra time was spent on putting yourself in a good position to tackle after last week.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, he is absolutely one of my favorite players on the current team. But he is very inconsistent, I was hoping there would be improvement this year but haven't seen it so far. Still got some time, gotta think extra time was spent on putting yourself in a good position to tackle after last week.

I think his body can't react as quick as his brain would like...

• Plus1 1