Colorado Rewatch

BIG ERN

2 hours ago, Undone said:

1st down play is a great call; Mo picks up five yards on what looked like an outside zone (the edit on the video skipped ahead of the start of the play).

2nd down play is just a total misfire where we should have gotten the ball to Wan'Dale and he probably would have picked up the first down.

3rd down, Martinez seems to miss Mo on the check-down. This has kind of been a bit of a theme. Man that series is hard to watch...

Stoll was a lot more open earlier on the 3rd down.  It seems like that should be his first read.

4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Stoll was a lot more open earlier on the 3rd down.  It seems like that should be his first read.

Talked about how deep the TE room was and how they would be a strength of the team.  Can't remember, but Rafdal or Allen really pushing Stoll.  A catch here or there in 2 games, but pretty much absent IMHO.  I figured with JD the only known receiving entity, they'd get a lot of passes and action two games in.  But really nothing.  Alleged plethora off offensive weapons, but really no one jumps off the stat sheets after 2 games.

Something keeps bugging me after rewatching the over time.

On the third play, the right guard (I think it's Wilson) effectively blocks his guy.  At that point, the entire O line is doing a good job of blocking their guy.  But...what does he do?  He leaves him and goes to help Farniok block his guy....who he wasn't having a problem with....and Wilson just leaves his guy to have a straight shot at 2AM for the sack.  

Why in the hell would you leave a defender, that is right in front of you, to help a guy that wasn't getting beat....only to allow your guy to have a clear path to the QB?

Stuff like that is just so frustrating.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

On the third play, the right guard (I think it's Wilson) effectively blocks his guy.  At that point, the entire O line is doing a good job of blocking their guy.  But...what does he do?  He leaves him and goes to help Farniok block his guy....who he wasn't having a problem with....and Wilson just leaves his guy to have a straight shot at 2AM for the sack.  

Why in the hell would you leave a defender, that is right in front of you, to help a guy that wasn't getting beat....only to allow your guy to have a clear path to the QB?

Yeah that is not good.  Both he and Farniok have not been the best so far this year.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand what he saw though. He sees Farniok's man slanting inside. He did the right thing trying to help out, and Jurgens tried to slide over too. Jurgens is the uncovered man on that play and he does a good job having his head on a swivel. He even recongnizes that Wilson needs help and gives a chip. The problem is that after that he looks back to his left and disengages.

It's just inexperience. Jurgens needs to recognize that his biggest threat is right next to him, not the guy on the left who began working back outside. It's not really his fault, he just needs more game time to feel what's happening around him.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, TheSker said:

This is really the core of our offensive issues right now.

Yup! I did a quick rewatch of the 2018 CU game. Similar play calling by Frost and similar looking CU defense. We were able to run the ball much better that game. The main difference, guys were engaging at the second level. The stats bare it out.

2018 Rushing yards: 329

2019 Rushing yards: 179

Last year's line: SO, SR, SR, SR, SO

This year's line: JR, SO, RFR, JR, JR

4 hours ago, italianguard135 said:

Random thought on the flea flicker play. To me, it looked like Dismuke bit hard on the run fake then panicked and blitzed. I may be misunderstanding the play setup though. Taylor looked like he was surprised there was no safety help over the top. 

Just a quick though, probably completely wrong. 

Think Taylor was peaking too long into the backfield and allowed the CU receiver behind him. 

Something that was brought up by Chin today (and something I thought at the game/reaffirmed on a 40 min rewatch) is that before the tying TD Shenault was subbed in and we weren’t able to counter sub. Could the series of plays have still happened (run for first down then TD pass)? Sure, but more time would have run off the clock and it might have changed CUs play calling. 

• Plus1 1

Stop me if you've heard this:

"We are better than we played!"

"We will bounce back from this!"

"We outplayed them but beat ourselves"

"Next year is where it comes together"

I give up.  I thought it was bad going to and losing 3 conference title games in 4 years.  Didn't realize how bad it would be only making 1 bowl game in 4 years (at this rate).

• Plus1 3