Colorado Rewatch

BIG ERN

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I have zero doubt it affected them and ultimately led to us losing the game.

But we can't use that excuse against them last year.  And if altitude was such a major factor, wouldn't they have a better record at home against non altitude teams?  (Assuming here, did no research, just know their record generally sucks).

It's not like the altitude was a surprise, they knew about it going in.  So why didn't they prep for it?   I get it, the best fight strategy goes out the window once you get punched in the mouth.  But 34 points allowed in the 2nd half, 80 some punts IIRC, fumble, interception, nearly a 100 yard score and to top it all off an absolutely dismal OT capped off by a sack for loss and a FG whiff from someone who clearly wasn't ready to shoulder that responsibility.

I'm curious what their home record vs away record is. Tried to find it, but I couldn't. However, wouldn't the altitude advantage work the opposite way? Going on the road to teams at low elevation they should fatigue slower than they would at home even. I live at about 3,500 feet and on a vacation to Hawaii once I worked out while there and couldn't believe how much easier breathing felt than at home. It's not the end all be all, but it played a role.

2 hours ago, Redux said:

I have zero doubt it affected them and ultimately led to us losing the game.

But we can't use that excuse against them last year.  And if altitude was such a major factor, wouldn't they have a better record at home against non altitude teams?  (Assuming here, did no research, just know their record generally sucks).

It's not like the altitude was a surprise, they knew about it going in.  So why didn't they prep for it?   I get it, the best fight strategy goes out the window once you get punched in the mouth.  But 34 points allowed in the 2nd half, 80 some punts IIRC, fumble, interception, nearly a 100 yard score and to top it all off an absolutely dismal OT capped off by a sack for loss and a FG whiff from someone who clearly wasn't ready to shoulder that responsibility.

In the USA post game one coach mentioned the team running out of gas or getting tired. You don’t fix that in one week end capping with a game at 6k feet

2 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

In the USA post game one coach mentioned the team running out of gas or getting tired. You don’t fix that in one week end capping with a game at 6k feet

Then Moos should have canceled this game and scheduled like Alcorn State.  That's what we are discussing here right, lowering the bar because excuses are all the rage this week.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The beginning of the year last year was so screwed up, I personally throw that game totally out the window with evaluating anything.

Honest question.  How does someone sitting in Lincoln prep for lower oxygen levels at higher altitudes?  I'm curious for this conversation but also personally.  I do a lot of hiking in the mountains and would love to be able to be ready for altitude when I get there.

You basically start systematically depriving your team of oxygen during practice. 

But lemme guess....the nampy pamby NCAA probably will have something to say about that too. 

Maybe some will be interested in looking at some of these plays. I know it's painful.   :bang

First possession of the second half. First series was three plays for a first down. This is the next first down:

Really should have hit the tight end. At minimum that's a five yard play, and maybe more. But, both Frost and Adrian are aggressive here with this play call and the throw Adrian's trying to make.

Second down play now. Getting behind the sticks but handing off to Wan'Dale is a decent idea, but we commit a holding penalty which basically kills this drive:

So, second & 20 now. Have to say I'm a kind of confused here because last year I think Martinez cuts up field and puts his shoulder into somebody. Seems like he could have possibly gotten the first down by jetting up field:

Maybe he's being coached not to do this to prevent injury.

Here's third down. We have a man that looks like he's going to get open over the middle, but we get sacked:

What do you guys think of that second & 20 run when Adrian jogs out of bounds?

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

Maybe some will be interested in looking at some of these plays. I know it's painful.   :bang

First possession of the second half. First series was three plays for a first down. This is the next first down:

Really should have hit the tight end. At minimum that's a five yard play, and maybe more. But, both Frost and Adrian are aggressive here with this play call and the throw Adrian's trying to make.

Second down play now. Getting behind the sticks but handing off to Wan'Dale is a decent idea, but we commit a holding penalty which basically kills this drive:

So, second & 20 now. Have to say I'm a kind of confused here because last year I think Martinez cuts up field and puts his shoulder into somebody. Seems like he could have possibly gotten the first down by jetting up field:

Maybe he's being coached not to do this to prevent injury.

Here's third down. We have a man that looks like he's going to get open over the middle, but we get sacked:

For the first one I initially agreed, but honestly that's just hindsight. Washington is open and he absolutely should have thrown it to him - we just know it was incomplete so the TE looks like the better option. Just needs a slightly better throw, he's not supposed to be Sam Keller where the check down is option #1.

On the 2nd and 20, I thought the same thing - I'm not sure he knew exactly where the sticks were, and I'm sure he's not being encouraged to cut back to the middle especially with his minor fumbilitis. But I've gotta think if he realized exactly where the marker was he would've cut it up and at least gotten closer.

• Plus1 1

That holding call was absolutely pitiful, compared to the way their linemen were nearly tackling our defenders. The more I watch this game, the worse opinion I have of the refs. 

I lean more toward hitting Stoll on his crossing route. Keep the sticks moving. Come back to that play later when Washington could be more open for an easier throw.

20 minutes ago, Undone said:

I noticed this when I rewatched as well. I think at a minimum he could have lowered his shoulder and made it 3rd and 2 or something easier to pick up. Maybe he's being coached to get out of bounds though and save the hits unless it's needed.

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

That holding call was absolutely pitiful, compared to the way their linemen were nearly tackling our defenders. The more I watch this game, the worse opinion I have of the refs. 

I lean more toward hitting Stoll on his crossing route. Keep the sticks moving. Come back to that play later when Washington could be more open for an easier throw.

It was very poorly officiated, agreed. The only holding I remember being called on Colorado we got the sack anyway, but there were several plays where a dlineman would come free and then get yanked back, no calls. And not allowing a substitution on the final drive was ridiculous, it's not like we waited too long - our guys were subbing as soon as the Colorado receiver subbed.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I haven't said anything about this, because anyone calling out bad calls after losses gets blamed for "making excuses" and there's a litany of "the refs didn't cost us the game," but on that flea-flicker there was some pretty serious holding on the left side of their line. They call that it's a Safety, we're up 19-7 and getting the ball back on a free kick, and the game is completely changed.

This is not a "the refs cost us the game" post. But when Big Ten refs call holding on your opponent once in five years... there's kind of a pattern there.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1