Colorado Rewatch

BIG ERN

34 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And not allowing a substitution on the final drive was ridiculous, it's not like we waited too long - our guys were subbing as soon as the Colorado receiver subbed. 

This didn't cost us the game, but it honestly could have been more impactful than a holding or PI call. We only had two lineman at the line of scrimmage. We had guys running on and off the field and no one was aligned. They picked up the 1st down and then threw the TD. Who knows what happens if we get to sub, but we sure as heck put up a better fight to stop the run than we were able to with half a defense.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I haven't said anything about this, because anyone calling out bad calls after losses gets blamed for "making excuses" and there's a litany of "the refs didn't cost us the game," but on that flea-flicker there was some pretty serious holding on the left side of their line. They call that it's a Safety, we're up 19-7 and getting the ball back on a free kick, and the game is completely changed.

I definitely was screaming "HOLDING" several times during the game when it didn't get called. Does this count for anything?   :D

I don't think my wife appreciated it too much...

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Undone said:

I definitely was screaming "HOLDING" several times during the game when it didn't get called. Does this count for anything?   :D

I don't think my wife appreciated it too much...

If you really want something interesting. Go back and watch the O line and how many times CU should have been called for hands to the face. 

• Plus1 2

Watching again and I actually do think the offensive playcalling did get, gulp, vanilla in the 3rd quarter.   Maybe 1 or 2 plays in that quarter I saw a lineman pulling.   Compared to maybe 7 or 8 plays per quarter in the first half.  3rd and medium was just your basic drop back pass.  No play-action, no misdirection, no shifts or motions to try to create mismatches.

The defense stopped playing hard at the end of the 3rd.  I don't know if it was poor conditioning or not, but they definitely played harder in the first half of the game and the first half of the 3rd quarter. 

6 hours ago, Undone said:

Maybe some will be interested in looking at some of these plays. I know it's painful.   :bang

Here's third down. We have a man that looks like he's going to get open over the middle, but we get sacked:

What do you guys think of that second & 20 run when Adrian jogs out of bounds?

The thing you should be looking at on this third down play isn't if he could have hit someone running open down the middle.  The main takeaway from that play is how confused our O-linemen are and 5 of them end up blocking 2 guys and let 2 guys run right at the QB untouched.  

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

The thing you should be looking at on this third down play isn't if he could have hit someone running open down the middle.  The main takeaway from that play is how confused our O-linemen are and 5 of them end up blocking 2 guys and let 2 guys run right at the QB untouched.  

But its nice to know if someone was coming open, we can pinpoint the problem. The play would have worked if the O Line does their job. Thats better than if the O Line blocks effectively and then are recievers are covered up.

54 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

It was well executed by CU.  The 2 that were blocked start out wide occupying our tackles before pushing inside so the cornerbacks have a free path.  I don't think the tackles have time to disengage and block the corners.  One LB starts at the line to protect against a QB run before dropping back into coverage.  I don't know what play is supposed to work against that.  I'd guess a quick pass but you don't know who will be covered by all of the defenders crowding the line.  Maybe Martinez could dart forward, avoid getting tackled and cut outside?  They need to figure it out because defenses do these things.

1 hour ago, yort2000 said:

They do for sure. Also Martinez has to get rid of the ball faster. Here are back to back series on 2nd and 3rd down and guys are wide open.

2nd down - Doesn’t get rid of ball fast enough to Wan’dale. Result: Terrible incomplete pass.

13C28AA1-E9DD-4BED-8D39-C639B384AB13.thumb.jpeg.73c3da11a2befd22b25f6e387e6cc87b.jpeg

3rd down -Hold ball too long before throwing to Stoll.

Result: waits 1.5 seconds longer and DB is on Stoll’s back. Punt...

C1F205EE-F6CF-495E-AB5D-6E25E796B412.thumb.jpeg.c24df67c9cb6f5a9cba4c132a02c90ef.jpeg

Next series

2nd down - Wide open receiver, but he runs for sideline.

Result: loss of yard

4299EDD3-459E-408A-A096-780B2C9348E9.thumb.jpeg.7ec85b157dcca5dae760842aacd8f1f7.jpeg

3rd down - Washington wide open with linebackers on his heals. Potential for huge gain of safety on far side of field is blocked by WR. Martinez holds ball

Result: Sack and Punt...

55F0C9E6-BF67-4D15-9C06-9784D1A82280.thumb.jpeg.ea550ba9749c2076669c1da46eab4604.jpeg

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

They do for sure. Also Martinez has to get rid of the ball faster. Here are back to back series on 2nd and 3rd down and guys are wide open.

2nd down - Doesn’t get rid of ball fast enough to Wan’dale. Result: Terrible incomplete pass.

13C28AA1-E9DD-4BED-8D39-C639B384AB13.thumb.jpeg.73c3da11a2befd22b25f6e387e6cc87b.jpeg

3rd down -Hold ball too long before throwing to Stoll.

Result: waits 1.5 seconds longer and DB is on Stoll’s back. Punt...

C1F205EE-F6CF-495E-AB5D-6E25E796B412.thumb.jpeg.c24df67c9cb6f5a9cba4c132a02c90ef.jpeg

Next series

2nd down - Wide open receiver, but he runs for sideline.

Result: loss of yard

4299EDD3-459E-408A-A096-780B2C9348E9.thumb.jpeg.7ec85b157dcca5dae760842aacd8f1f7.jpeg

3rd down - Washington wide open with linebackers on his heals. Potential for huge gain of safety on far side of field is blocked by WR. Martinez holds ball

Result: Sack and Punt...

55F0C9E6-BF67-4D15-9C06-9784D1A82280.thumb.jpeg.ea550ba9749c2076669c1da46eab4604.jpeg

Seems like Martinez at times isn't trusting his eyes. Don't know if he's trying too hard to read through his progressions, overthinking, afraid of turnovers or what.

12 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Seems like Martinez at times isn't trusting his eyes. Don't know if he's trying too hard to read through his progressions, overthinking, afraid of turnovers or what.

I think you’re right. Rewatching this, I notice he keeps his eyes fixated on one guy too long. Sometimes just waiting for the receiver to break open. 

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

These open guys also might be his last reads, it's not like he can magically see the whole field and jump straight to the open man. But you're right, it seems like he spends a long time locked on to one guy and any of the things you listed could be why. I would think film study and experience will help.

Might go hand in hand with the coaches comment about looking for the perfect play too - if he expects a certain receiver to be open on the play, that would make him a little slower to move on to the next read. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

These open guys also might be his last reads, it's not like he can magically see the whole field and jump straight to the open man. But you're right, it seems like he spends a long time locked on to one guy and any of the things you listed could be why. I would think film study and experience will help.

Might go hand in hand with the coaches comment about looking for the perfect play too - if he expects a certain receiver to be open on the play, that would make him a little slower to move on to the next read. 

I agree. These are plays he made last year. I do think he’s got to run through progressions quicker/react quicker. A few of those plays he had the ball for 5 seconds+. The series after the first CU touchdown he starts off great, holding ball for 1 to 2 seconds before hitting an open target like the visuals I shared above. After seeing this stuff, I feel a lot better about the offense.

They’re going to be fine.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

I agree. These are plays he made last year. I do think he’s got to run through progressions quicker/react quicker. A few of those plays he had the ball for 5 seconds+. The series after the first CU touchdown he starts off great, holding ball for 1 to 2 seconds before hitting an open target like the visuals I shared above. After seeing this stuff, I feel a lot better about the offense.

They’re going to be fine.

Like you, I think he makes those plays last year.  Maybe as mentioned, those were his last reads and it was too late......

Martinez just needs to play loose.  Like last year.  Unsure how the staff does that.  Looks like CU adjusted, but we had answers Martinez didn't "know".