Bill Moos - hiring all the coaches

Was going to post this last week, but forgot. Sue me.

Lost in all the football talk over the past week is the fact that Nebraska replaced Hall of Fame Women's Bowling coach Bill Straub, who retired in August. Moos hired Paul Klempa, Straub's long-time assistant.

Nebraska has 22 varsity sports *. In just under two years on the job, Bill Moos has hired the head coach for 9 of those sports.

That is an INCREDIBLE amount of turnover in that time span.

Moos' fingerprints will be all over this athletic department for years to come.

No other AD has hired more current Nebraska coaches. The next-most is actually Bill Byrne, who hired four of Nebraska's current head coaches: Pablo Morales, Mark Manning, John Cook, and John Walker. (Cook is Head Coach of two sports)

Amazingly, three current coaches were hired by Bob Devaney, who retired in 1993 (Gary Pepin coaches two sports). There are still more head coaches in Nebraska's ranks hired by Bob Devaney than by Sean Eichorst, who was fired two years ago next month.

Vz1FxCf.png

* Beach Volleyball is listed on the website, but I don't think it's considered a Varsity Sport.  All of the players on the team have Court Volleyball scholarships.

• Plus1 1

The Devaney hires are amazing.  Is the hire date of 4/1992 for Rhonda Revelle correct or was she hired as an assistant by Devaney and that is the date she became head coach?  It seems likely some of the Devaney hires will retire during Moos's time although I'm not sure how long Moos will be around before he retires.  Hopefully his hires will be around for a long time too.  I've liked Moos since he was first hired.

14 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

The Devaney hires are amazing.  Is the hire date of 4/1992 for Rhonda Revelle correct or was she hired as an assistant by Devaney and that is the date she became head coach?  It seems likely some of the Devaney hires will retire during Moos's time although I'm not sure how long Moos will be around before he retires.  Hopefully his hires will be around for a long time too.  I've liked Moos since he was first hired.

I believe when all the speculation was out on her, it was noted that she has been head coach for 27 years.

On 9/10/2019 at 2:31 AM, 4skers89 said:

Hopefully his hires will be around for a long time too.  I've liked Moos since he was first hired.

Agreed. Moos has been a very good AD so far, in spite of the ham-fisted attempts by disgruntled boosters to start rumors about him in an attempt to run him off. 

I really do hope Moos is willing to stay the course, at least until we can get Basketball, Baseball, and Football fixed. If he can do that, he's gonna get a statue, probably by the Selleck Quadrangle.