This is where we are at... for now

tmfr15

When last season started, I had no idea what effect Frost would have on the team right away. And I had no idea what he had to work with.

Turns out we were a bit talent poor. And Frost's effect was to chase away some of the pretenders.

We were left with a lean team that counted on a combo of inexperienced players and guys with a mixture of buy in. Plus we had not been through S&C for a full year.

In this second year, we were all expecting a big leap upward. South Alabama let us know that a big leap, at least right away, isn't happening. Colorado confirmed that on Saturday.

We are at a place where we are counting on young players, some transfers, and some players who are trying to reinvent themselves after holding over from the coach change. Still not much S&C. We are still a few years away on S&C. We still have to recruit. And, yes, this will take a while.

It's misery watching the team suffer like this but I think we have to count on small improvements here and there and take joy in those. A win here or there. That's it. Maybe we make a bowl. But it's going to be hard. I think 7-5 and 6-6 are reasonable ideas but not without a huge fight.

We are here for now. But I hope it gets better.

Maybe Colorado and Nebraska finish with similar records and rematch in a bowl. We win and change the direction of the program.

In 2001, a loss against the Buffs was the first sign of trouble. In 2019, a bowl win over Colorado might be the sign that things are going to change.

That's my hope anyway.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Still not much S&C.

I kind of have to disagree. When I look at guys like Ben Stille, Will Honas, & Alex Davis (just to name a few), I see some very measurable strides within the strength program. 

We've built a defense to defend against the run in the B1G West. If we roll into Northwestern as a 3-2 team (with losses to Colorado & Ohio State), it's practically a blank slate, and that's really when the season gets defined:

image.png.c5cf8dbdcf125d4e873511f612bd5a22.png

Definitely not panicking if we roll in there having just one conference loss; we'll have basically the entire important stretch of the season ahead of us in terms of winning the West. 

I could be reading too much into this and this isn't directed at the OP, but I think yesterday took the wind out of the sails for the "we're going to go 10-2" crowd. 

If we could swing 9-3, I would be ecstatic.

Do I think that's gonna happen, probably not, unless we catch some breaks along the way.

I know everyone went bats#!t crazy when they hired SF, I was one of them.  But we have to remember, in the era of win now, his coaching tenure here is still in it's infancy.  Not until next year or even the year after are we going to see what he's truly capable of.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I kind of have to disagree. When I look at guys like Ben Stille, Will Honas, & Alex Davis (just to name a few), I see some very measurable strides within the strength program. 

We've built a defense to defend against the run in the B1G West. If we roll into Northwestern as a 3-2 team (with losses to Colorado & Ohio State), it's practically a blank slate, and that's really when the season gets defined:

Definitely not panicking if we roll in there having just one conference loss; we'll have basically the entire important stretch of the season ahead of us in terms of winning the West. 

I could be reading too much into this and this isn't directed at the OP, but I think yesterday took the wind out of the sails for the "we're going to go 10-2" crowd. 

What the hell, I'm still at 10-2 :thumbs

• Plus1 1

Honestly this season still has a lot up in the air.  Wisconsin and Iowa are still unknowns until they start conference play.  Northwestern seems down but they always cause trouble.  Purdue has a solid win this weekend after blowing it against Wisconsin.  We'll see how good Maryland really is in the next few weeks but we have to go there and that's going to be a challenge.  I think what will be most important for this season is staying competitive in every game and not getting blown out.  There have been far, far too many of those over the last few years.

I don't really want to put a number of wins on the board but I think 6-6 or 7-6 and a bowl at a minimum is still a realistic goal for the team. 

1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

When last season started, I had no idea what effect Frost would have on the team right away. And I had no idea what he had to work with.

Turns out we were a bit talent poor. And Frost's effect was to chase away some of the pretenders.

We were left with a lean team that counted on a combo of inexperienced players and guys with a mixture of buy in. Plus we had not been through S&C for a full year.

In this second year, we were all expecting a big leap upward. South Alabama let us know that a big leap, at least right away, isn't happening. Colorado confirmed that on Saturday.

We are at a place where we are counting on young players, some transfers, and some players who are trying to reinvent themselves after holding over from the coach change. Still not much S&C. We are still a few years away on S&C. We still have to recruit. And, yes, this will take a while.

It's misery watching the team suffer like this but I think we have to count on small improvements here and there and take joy in those. A win here or there. That's it. Maybe we make a bowl. But it's going to be hard. I think 7-5 and 6-6 are reasonable ideas but not without a huge fight.

We are here for now. But I hope it gets better.

Maybe Colorado and Nebraska finish with similar records and rematch in a bowl. We win and change the direction of the program.

In 2001, a loss against the Buffs was the first sign of trouble. In 2019, a bowl win over Colorado might be the sign that things are going to change.

That's my hope anyway.

Good stuff you guys.  I think once you start looking at the true reality that is 'year 2' you do realize this is a team right now this season that is pretty inexperienced and of course too when you're trying to build something it doesn't just happen over night most of the time.  

The highlighted is the best thing I have read since Saturday tmfr so thanks!  :thumbs

I said it in another thread and I think for the most part it's true. I had originally said that Clemson and Alabama wasn't built in 2 years. It was pointed out that Alabama pretty much was built in 2 years. That made me realize that we really were more talent deficient than originally thought.  We are pretty young, and are in the wrong part of the country for recruiting to be as easy as it is at an SEC school or most ACC schools. We have shown a lot of improvement on defense, except for getting caught on a trick play, a busted coverage, and a lost fumble when we were driving the ball from being 2-0. These things will be cleaned up as we become more experienced. 

I agree that Frost's play calling has been troubling but I think that will improve as well. I do not envy him and the pressure he must be under coming back to Nebraska to be the "savior" of the program. The culture is changing, but it may take longer than most of us unfortunately thought. Guys, sit back, enjoy the ride, and try not to freak out too much over the loses. 

GBR!

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Undone said:

I doubt it, they predict the same record every year no matter what.