The Bo Pelini Curse

Mavric

50 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's funny, because this Colorado game reminded me of Bo's 2012 team losing to UCLA in Pasadena in the second game of the season. 

It's funny because this Colorado game reminded of Scott Frosts Colorado game last year, or the rest of what I have watched of him leading this program. 

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

I'm sorry, what? Bo, who had no top 10 finishes, no conference championships, no major bowl appearances or wins, is better than Solich who had all of the above? 

I remember a couple of Bo seasons where the players talked about playing for a NC before the season started!  That should count for delusion.

• Plus1 1

Common thread?

Lack of mental toughness.

Or more to the point: killer instinct. 

We've had 20 years of teams who believe in themselves, and their coach, and the Nebraska legacy so they believe they should be in the hunt every year. Which is fine.

But when they get punched in the mouth, they fall apart. Or play not to lose. Or take their foot off the opponent's throat. Or you know....fail to make in-game adjustments like the other team. 

If Nebraska fans now yearn for the coach who consistently left us with a mere four losses, unranked, and irrelevant at the end of the season, then the terrorists have won. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Lack of mental toughness.

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Or you know....fail to make in-game adjustments like the other team. 

If I'm picking between those two from last Saturday, I'm probably going with 'failing to make adjustments.'

Losing Ozigbo and Morgan is a much, much bigger factor than any psychological factor in my opinion. Last year we had four good non-Martinez play makers on offense:

-Morgan

-Ozigbo

-Spielman

-washington

Two of those guys graduate. A true freshman phenom comes in (Wan'Dale) and is kind of expected to...what? To fill in for both Ozigbo (with carries) and Morgan (with receptions)? Pretty unrealistic.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

If I'm picking between those two from last Saturday, I'm probably going with 'failing to make adjustments.'

Losing Ozigbo and Morgan is a much, much bigger factor than any psychological factor in my opinion. Last year we had four good non-Martinez play makers on offense:

-Morgan

-Ozigbo

-Spielman

-washington

Two of those guys graduate. A true freshman phenom comes in (Wan'Dale) and is kind of expected to...what? To fill in for both Ozigbo (with carries) and Morgan (with receptions)? Pretty unrealistic.

The team we put on the field in the first half was perfectly capable of winning the game. 

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have expected the offense to be better than last year's 4-8 season?

I saw a team with no better talent than Nebraska just dig down a little deeper and refuse to lose. 

17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't have expected the offense to be better than last year's 4-8 season?

Are you suggesting that losing two guys that both had 1,000 yards each would not be expected to possibly cause a drop-off in potential?

17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I saw a team with no better talent than Nebraska just dig down a little deeper and refuse to lose. 

In terms of Colorado's offense, Montez and Shenault are projected to be drafted in this upcoming NFL draft. Just food for thought there.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Are you suggesting that losing two guys that both had 1,000 yards each would not be expected to possibly cause a drop-off in potential?

In terms of Colorado's offense, Montez and Shenault are projected to be drafted in this upcoming NFL draft. Just food for thought there.

Ok but it’s not like our offense has players that are relatively unhyped

8 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

Ok but it’s not like our offense has players that are relatively unhyped

And how does players being "hyped" factor into this? Explain what your point is.

If your point is that because they got hyped and people took drank the Kool-Aid that we should all be justifiably disappointed, well, that's a different issue. My initial point was that losing Ozigbo and Morgan is a big deal because we didn't exactly reload both of those spots with Wan'Dale and Mills. 

Wan'Dale will most likely be a great player here...but he's nevertheless a true freshman.

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

And how does players being "hyped" factor into this? Explain what your point is.

If your point is that because they got hyped and people took drank the Kool-Aid that we should all be justifiably disappointed, well, that's a different issue. My initial point was that losing Ozigbo and Morgan is a big deal because we didn't exactly reload both of those spots with Wan'Dale and Mills. 

Wan'Dale will most likely be a great player here...but he's nevertheless a true freshman.

Morgan's stats shot up when Westerkamp, Moore, and Brandon Riley left. 

Ozigbo was scheduled to go out quietly as a backup to Bell and Washington.

It's always a "next man up" game and the offense is designed to generate both a 1,000 yard receiver and a 1,000 yard rusher, though it's hardly a problem if multiple players share the load. Having a stud quarterback with a year under his belt, a better offensive line and a team buying into the new coach's system should more than make up for the loss of two good players, especially if you trust the new recruiting staff to find more gems than the last one. 

Or to put it another way, I don't remember anyone thinking the Nebraska offense was due for a drop-off. Pretty much the opposite. 

(I also think this same offense is perfectly able of doing great things --- like they've already showed --- which is why I think it's still an attitude adjustment situation for both players and coaches) 

• Plus1 1