How to win

1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

He was peaking, just for a split second, and that was enough to get beat. Lost focus. Dismuke absolutely bought everything and just blitzed after coming up for premature run support. I'll give tucker and cu credit - it was a good call that fooled most of the defense. If Cam was focused on covering the receiver, and getting ahead of the route, he wouldn't have been trailing so badly.

From what I can tell his man was the TE, so when the TE blocked he came up on a blitz. Don't think it was premature - he actually probably gets a safety if he doesn't hesitate thinking Nixon was going to crack block him. I don't know what he's coached to do there, but either hitting Nixon or flying through based on his read would've changed the play. Neither of those absolve Taylor-Britt of his coverage responsibility though.

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He could have stayed back, but the route was really good too. Looks like he's coming in to block the other Safety, so Taylor-Britt creeps up to fill the gap. By the time the receiver cuts back up field it's too late - but I think it was Taylor-Britt or Bootle who mentioned knowing the situation, teams like to take shots and you've gotta stay home. Super tough play, but when you're lined up 8 yards off the ball "he was just faster" doesn't fly. Taylor-Britt recovered well, and it's a good lesson in situational football.

He didn't fill a gap.  He doesn't even move towards the play.  He stayed home and the WR sold the run play perfectly.  The instant the DB saw him take off, he took off and they were basically at the same level.  

It's a tough play that the offense executed perfectly.  

Actually, the best chance of the play not working is if the LB (who thought he was going to be blocked) would have at least made contact with the WR...or better yet...taken him out.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

If Cam was focused on covering the receiver, and getting ahead of the route, he wouldn't have been trailing so badly.

It was also probably just a blip of a mental error by Cam also because it looked like he went for disrupting the reception at the last second when in reality he wasn't close enough to the play to do so, whereas if he stays on his feet and stays with the guy he makes the tackle at mid-field...and maybe they don't get into the end zone on that drive.

Unlucky.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I made a bunch of posts yesterday in one of the threads where somebody had posted the 40 minute version of the game. I set the video to the specific time of specific plays (can't remember which thread it was now).

On the re-watch, I didn't see any kind of lack of effort. Martinez had a couple of missed passes on our second possession - how in the hell is that any kind of example of "not knowing how to win?" Same goes for the pass that went through Wan'Dale's hands. You think that kid isn't laser focused and playing with intensity to go out there and do whatever he can to win the game?

A couple series later, our receivers make a tremendous effort to block on the edge and Washington makes an incredible display of individual athleticism to scorch CU for a long touchdown. 

I think it was just a small run of bad luck on two or three series in the opening of the third quarter. If the team had no idea how to come out with intensity, being focused on winning, would we have been 17-0 at half? Probably not; we probably would have been down 17-0.

Wandale had two passes in the game that were right in his hands that he dropped. Both you could tell he just wasn't focused. Freshman mistakes but if you're out there you better be ready and focused every time.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He didn't fill a gap.  He doesn't even move towards the play.  He stayed home and the WR sold the run play perfectly.  The instant the DB saw him take off, he took off and they were basically at the same level.  

It's a tough play that the offense executed perfectly.  

Actually, the best chance of the play not working is if the LB (who thought he was going to be blocked) would have at least made contact with the WR...or better yet...taken him out.

Yeah you're right, he didn't come up as far as I thought. I do think Dismuke would have gotten an illegal contact penalty had he hit the receiver, but given the outcome of the play I'd take that. If he just ignores the receiver, he either gets the sack or the receiver gets a block in the back if he's actually trying to block him. Covering the guy solves everything, but without a slight hesitation by the blitzer I think it's a Safety.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I made a bunch of posts yesterday in one of the threads where somebody had posted the 40 minute version of the game. I set the video to the specific time of specific plays (can't remember which thread it was now).

On the re-watch, I didn't see any kind of lack of effort. Martinez had a couple of missed passes on our second possession - how in the hell is that any kind of example of "not knowing how to win?" Same goes for the pass that went through Wan'Dale's hands. You think that kid isn't laser focused and playing with intensity to go out there and do whatever he can to win the game?

A couple series later, our receivers make a tremendous effort to block on the edge and Washington makes an incredible display of individual athleticism to scorch CU for a long touchdown. 

I think it was just a small run of bad luck on two or three series in the opening of the third quarter. If the team had no idea how to come out with intensity, being focused on winning, would we have been 17-0 at half? Probably not; we probably would have been down 17-0.

Isn't that what it's about? Consistency in execution? I don't think we have elite talent like Clemson or Bama (yet) but we're plenty talented enough to be able to absolutely demolish CU, yet it didn't happen even though we had them on the ropes. That's 99% mentality. That's "knowing how to win"

31 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He could have stayed back, but the route was really good too. Looks like he's coming in to block the other Safety, so Taylor-Britt creeps up to fill the gap. By the time the receiver cuts back up field it's too late - but I think it was Taylor-Britt or Bootle who mentioned knowing the situation, teams like to take shots and you've gotta stay home. Super tough play, but when you're lined up 8 yards off the ball "he was just faster" doesn't fly. Taylor-Britt recovered well, and it's a good lesson in situational football.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Wandale had two passes in the game that were right in his hands that he dropped. Both you could tell he just wasn't focused.

I guess I didn't feel like I was in a position to make that judgment from behind my TV set, but I suppose you could be totally right.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I guess I didn't feel like I was in a position to make that judgment from behind my TV set, but I suppose you could be totally right.

I am assuming some of that yes, but when you are looking right at your QB and know you are his #1 target given how the play is developing and the pass hits you dead in the hands and you drop it, i have to assume its a lack of focus.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Under Scott Frost, Nebraska is 1-6 in games decided by 5 points or less.  That is the stat of a team that doesn't know how to win.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree and it's plainly evident in Farniok's comments that they let up in the 3rd quarter.  You absolutely can not let up until you're sitting on the bench and the back ups are in because you're up so far.  

Where the hell is the killer instinct that makes you want to go out and totally demoralize the other team so bad they want to go home and call mommy?

THAT is learning how to win consistently.  

Farniok's comment makes me wonder what was said by the coaches at the break about NOT letting up.  

2 minutes ago, Sker fer life said:

Farniok's comment makes me wonder what was said by the coaches at the break about NOT letting up.  

Frost has said exactly what the told the team.  

"One of two things is going to happen a)  We go out, let up and let Colorado back in the game...or...b) we go out, stay focused, score some points in the third and put the game away."

He seemed as surprised as we are which they chose.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost has said exactly what the told the team.  

"One of two things is going to happen a)  We go out, let up and let Colorado back in the game...or...b) we go out, stay focused, score some points in the third and put the game away."

He seemed as surprised as we are which they chose.

Psychology 101, you shouldn't even put that thought in their mind.