How to win

1 minute ago, Apsu said:

How to win... As Scott Frost said, we need to rely on big plays on offense from our speed players. With our poor offensive line play, we will not sustain many long drives.

Relying/depending on big plays to win is not a reliable way to do it.....And poor OL or not, no counters for a D that's confusing them and the QB is a recipe for disaster.

As to mindset.  It can't be taught.....You can teach mechanics, you can teach fundamentals, scheme, game plan etc, but at the end of the day you can't teach that killer instinct.  "Everyone wants to be a lion, until it's time to do lion sh!t"......You find lions and teach the rest.  That's the way to flip the culture/mindset/killer instinct etc....Just my .02.....

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Not really...I would expect a former player, that played under garbage tutelage to say this

And that garbage tutelage has the best record of the last 5 years. He is also one of the best receivers in school history so I think he has a good read of the situation. He has no panic and we shouldn't panic either. All of our goals are still in front of us for the year. 

We still need to learn how to win better. It would help if we could just put teams away so we don't have a close game. Hopefully, this team will turn the corner after an OT lost like we did last year.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, SFW said:

Frosts offense needs a power run element so we can close out games and burn clock.  

He so far has shown no desire to adopt that philosophy.

Surprising 

Why do you think he has no desire to have a power run game? I think he does but just curious your reasons? 

• Plus1 1
On 9/10/2019 at 2:47 PM, Huskerchief said:

I found it interesting how Frost talks about not having "fear of failure," but then gets conservative with two run plays in overtime because he was nervous about AM throwing an interception. That sounds like having "fear of failure..." 

I feel like if you are a team that has the drive to win, you don't get conservative with play calling. When we get conservative its showing the other team you are scared to lose. 

Mentioned the same thing in one of the threads last week.  Frost is a good, maybe great, coach but you have to think that the pressure of bringing his alma matter back to glory may be getting to him a little.  Maybe he preaches and teachers no fear of failure, but he is a human after all.  It's ok to have no fear of failure but the real growth is how you respond to it. 

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Why do you think he has no desire to have a power run game? I think he does but just curious your reasons? 

When has he ever shown a power run game as a coach?  Just curious?

Answer:  Never

His last 3 games a UCF were almost lost by teams coming from behind, because he couldn’t not burn clock and grind out long drives.  

Same with his five blown halftime leads at NU.  

He needs to to learn the game of keep away!

2 minutes ago, SFW said:

When has he ever shown a power run game as a coach?  Just curious?

Answer:  Never

His last 3 games a UCF were almost lost by teams coming from behind, because he couldn’t not burn clock and grind out long drives.  

Same with his five blown halftime leads at NU.  

He needs to to learn the game of keep away!

I don't disagree that he hasn't shown it yet but he hasn't had a full team of players that were his. Except for his two classes Nebraska is full of players recruited for a pass first pro style offense. 

Frost has talked again and again about wanting Husker Power with Oregon speed. I think he wants a power run game but that doesn't come overnight. It's easy to get speed, but not strength. 

If you look at the lineman he's recruiting he wants big powerful guys. One of the current RB commits is a state lifting champion. 

I think he wants a power run option to go along With his speed game. He just doesn't have the horses yet. 

1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

And that garbage tutelage has the best record of the last 5 years. He is also one of the best receivers in school history so I think he has a good read of the situation. He has no panic and we shouldn't panic either. All of our goals are still in front of us for the year. 

We still need to learn how to win better. It would help if we could just put teams away so we don't have a close game. Hopefully, this team will turn the corner after an OT lost like we did last year.

Hmmm...thinking you took my comment in the wrong way

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I don't disagree that he hasn't shown it yet but he hasn't had a full team of players that were his. Except for his two classes Nebraska is full of players recruited for a pass first pro style offense. 

Frost has talked again and again about wanting Husker Power with Oregon speed. I think he wants a power run game but that doesn't come overnight. It's easy to get speed, but not strength. 

If you look at the lineman he's recruiting he wants big powerful guys. One of the current RB commits is a state lifting champion. 

I think he wants a power run option to go along With his speed game. He just doesn't have the horses yet. 

I agree we don’t have to horses to complete with OSU, Wisconsin, and the like.  We do have the horses to beat, play power run against the rest of our schedule.  

He had greater talent at UCF where he combined husker power with Oregon speed and had no desire to incorporate a power run game.

To Frost

Husker Power = Strength and Conditioning 

Oregon Speed = Fast Paced Tempo

So you think when he gets the horses he will change?

1 minute ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

QB needs pocket awareness and to get rid of the ball faster or run.  We can't afford multiple turnovers a game.

One drive against Stanford, UCF true fresh QB was dropping dimes, very quick decision making and ran well....That O, looks very impressive on that first drive. D had a 3 and out.  Intersting to see if they can keep it up.  

1 hour ago, SFW said:

I agree we don’t have to horses to complete with OSU, Wisconsin, and the like.  We do have the horses to beat, play power run against the rest of our schedule.  

He had greater talent at UCF where he combined husker power with Oregon speed and had no desire to incorporate a power run game.

To Frost

Husker Power = Strength and Conditioning 

Oregon Speed = Fast Paced Tempo

So you think when he gets the horses he will change?

I don't think he's ever going to change to a ground and pound offense even to bleed off time. I do think he recognizes the need for a power run element to his offense for cold games and to counter the strength of the B1Gs defensives. Will it be like 90s Nebraska? No, but it'll be more power than we have now. 

11 hours ago, lo country said:

Relying/depending on big plays to win is not a reliable way to do it.....And poor OL or not, no counters for a D that's confusing them and the QB is a recipe for disaster.

As to mindset.  It can't be taught.....You can teach mechanics, you can teach fundamentals, scheme, game plan etc, but at the end of the day you can't teach that killer instinct.  "Everyone wants to be a lion, until it's time to do lion sh!t"......You find lions and teach the rest.  That's the way to flip the culture/mindset/killer instinct etc....Just my .02.....

Out of curiosity, which CFB teams now-a-days do you really think rely on this philosophy?