How to win

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost has said exactly what the told the team.  

"One of two things is going to happen a)  We go out, let up and let Colorado back in the game...or...b) we go out, stay focused, score some points in the third and put the game away."

He seemed as surprised as we are which they chose.

I think what made it far worse was CU’s staff made some adjustments that Nebraska’s staff wasn’t ready for. (And to be fair, Frost has admitted this) You don’t call a flea flicker on your own 4 unless you’re pretty damn sure you know what’s coming on the other side and you have “no fear of failure”. 

6 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

I think what made it far worse was CU’s staff made some adjustments that Nebraska’s staff wasn’t ready for. (And to be fair, Frost has admitted this) You don’t call a flea flicker on your own 4 unless you’re pretty damn sure you know what’s coming on the other side and you have “no fear of failure”. 

At that point, CU shouldn't have had any fear of failure.  They were down 17-7 in the fourth quarter and backed against their endzone.  It wasn't looking pretty for them.  

I'm guessing they had two plays in.  If the defense is lined up a certain way, the QB runs the flea flicker.  If not, it's probably a run straight ahead.

• Plus1 2

I found it interesting how Frost talks about not having "fear of failure," but then gets conservative with two run plays in overtime because he was nervous about AM throwing an interception. That sounds like having "fear of failure..." 

I feel like if you are a team that has the drive to win, you don't get conservative with play calling. When we get conservative its showing the other team you are scared to lose. 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, billdozer15 said:

I am assuming some of that yes, but when you are looking right at your QB and know you are his #1 target given how the play is developing and the pass hits you dead in the hands and you drop it, i have to assume its a lack of focus.

Right. So there's a "lack of focus" in the context of eye-hand coordination.

But the original narrative was definitely not in that context. It was that the players "lacked focus."

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Huskerchief said:

I found it interesting how Frost talks about not having "fear of failure," but then gets conservative with two run plays in overtime because he was nervous about AM throwing an interception. That sounds like having "fear of failure..." 

I feel like if you are a team that has the drive to win, you don't get conservative with play calling. When we get conservative its showing the other team you are scared to lose. 

Good post. I've thought about this as well. Perhaps he contradicted himself into a corner with the whole "no fear of failure" and it permeated throughout his players? Shoot, I can remember when Bo used to throw a temper tantrum, the team would then fold and allow monstrous stats/points.

I do think the team takes on the personality of their coach. Still, I believe SF does need time to get things going. There are still a lot of guys playing that he didn't recruit here.

Yes, I agree, there is a mindset and it has to be there in most of the team and all of the coaches.  I'm not so sure it can be taught;  I don't know.  I think it is acquired through great coaching, training, and winning more and more and then it begins to come into play as a portion of the whole program.

I think you're right about it being lost now.  It was gradual.  But yes, it's gone.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Yes, I agree, there is a mindset and it has to be there in most of the team and all of the coaches.  I'm not so sure it can be taught;  I don't know.  I think it is acquired through great coaching, training, and winning more and more and then it begins to come into play as a portion of the whole program.

I think you're right about it being lost now.  It was gradual.  But yes, it's gone.

Didn’t you just describe it being taught through “coaching, training...etc”?

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Didn’t you just describe it being taught through “coaching, training...etc”?

Re-read the rest of that sentence, amigo (copy/pasted here for your convenience and reading pleasure :D):

I think it is acquired through great coaching, training, and winning more and more and then it begins to come into play as a portion of the whole program.