ESPN's top 150 College Football Teams of All Time

The Nebraska teams on that list:

#1 - 1971

#4 - 1995

#15 - 1994

#24 - 1997

#36 - 1983

#50 - 1970

Weirdly, no 1982 Nebraska in the top 150. Seems like an oversight to me.

Oklahoma's top-ranked team is Bud Wilkinson's 1956 team at #9. 1971 Oklahoma, whose only loss was by four points to Nebraska in The Game of the Century, rolls in at #31. If your only defeat was was by four points to the #1 team on this list, maybe you should be higher than 31st?

Miami has eight teams on this list despite not being really relevant until the early 1980s.

Alabama has a whopping 17 teams on this list - more than 10%. Crazy.

Our rival Iowa has zero. :D

Our rival Colorado has one - the infamous fifth-down team from 1990. That team is ranked 122nd on this list.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

always good to see 1971 and 1995 up there on EVERY list...no matter who does the polling

i personally think 1995 can be argued as #1 of all times

I saw the 2004 USC Trojans at #2 and thought instantly about the 95 team being ranked lower.  Not taking anything away from the 2004 USC squad but nope.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, jaws said:

I don't understand the rhyme or reason for some of these, but, whatever. My school made it in at #145, i'll take that.  

It's a list of teams that were clearly dominant for a season.  The Bucknuts had good teams but they may have only beat Michigan during the regular season and a good bowl team to take home the NC while statistically not standing out.  This is one reason I always want conference mates to do well, including Iowa *ducking*.

They just can't leave it alone (see quote below).  This should have nothing to do wt the 95 team ranking but  I can't help but think that is the only reason ESPN did not place them # 1 or at least #2.  No team dominated like the 95 team.  I think the 71 team is also deserving of # 1 or #2. 

As Knapp notes above, not to have the 82 team on the list is a big oversight.  Probably the best non-champion, one loss team. They were more balanced than the 83 team which is on the list. 

There would be no on-field controversy for the Huskers, but there was plenty off the field. Osborne took a lot of heat for not throwing tailback Lawrence Phillips off the team after Phillips was arrested for assaulting a Huskers women's basketball player in the apartment of teammate Scott Frost. Osborne suspended Phillips for six games and brought him back late in the season.

18 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

It's a list of teams that were clearly dominant for a season.  The Bucknuts had good teams but they may have only beat Michigan during the regular season and a good bowl team to take home the NC while statistically not standing out.  This is one reason I always want conference mates to do well, including Iowa *ducking*.

I wasn't talking about OSU, but since you mentioned it, I think their 2014 team was better than the 2002 team even though the 2002 was rated higher in this list. 

10 minutes ago, jaws said:

I wasn't talking about OSU, but since you mentioned it, I think their 2014 team was better than the 2002 team even though the 2002 was rated higher in this list. 

I always thought you posted as an OSU fan.  I just looked at the list to see who was #145.  LOL, the Purple Raiders are probably not getting enough love.

27 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I always thought you posted as an OSU fan.  I just looked at the list to see who was #145.  LOL, the Purple Raiders are probably not getting enough love.

No problem. I am a fan of OSU and alumnus/fan of Mount. 

I was more or less looking at the overall list and wondering how someone can actually rank something like this. I would have put the '95 Husker team at the top but this is all very subjective. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Isn't this something that usually comes out about June 12th?  Who gives a rip who the best team was in the past when we are just starting a new season?

You're not wrong, but after Saturday's fiasco, ranking our teams from the glory days is a warmer and safer place to be, as opposed to the present reality.