Matt Farniok

billdozer15

I am starting this topic to see if my views are shared or maybe I'm way off base. To me Matt seems in way over his head and I can't believe we don't have someone that is a better option. I'm by no means an offensive line guru, but his poor play sticks out like a sore thumb. For 2 years I've consistently seen him whiffing blocks, getting turned around,  just not blocking anyone, or laying on the ground. Last week he had a Jake Cotton'esk moment where he completely missed an assignment that led to Martinez getting blown up, which resulted in Martinez fumbling and to add insult to injury Matt Farniok comes flying in stumbling and landed on top of Martinez at the plays end. If it wasn't so frustrating, it would have been pure comedy.

Please tell me if anyone else sees this, the coaches see this and do we have somebody else to put in there?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, billdozer15 said:

I am starting this topic to see if my views are shared or maybe I'm way off base. To me Matt seems in way over his head and I can't believe we don't have someone that is a better option. I'm by no means an offensive line guru, but his poor play sticks out like a sore thumb. For 2 years I've consistently seen him whiffing blocks, getting turned around,  just not blocking anyone, or laying on the ground. Last week he had a Jake Cotton'esk moment where he completely missed an assignment that led to Martinez getting blown up, which resulted in Martinez fumbling and to add insult to injury Matt Farniok comes flying in stumbling and landed on top of Martinez at the plays end. If it wasn't so frustrating, it would have been pure comedy.

Please tell me if anyone else sees this, the coaches see this and do we have somebody else to put in there?

I know I said this awhile back (and maybe in his recruiting profile) he dude is a guard. He shouldn't be playing tackle in the Big 10. I watched live many times and thought the same thing in HS. I think he would be a great guard. Right now he is a below average tackle. 

24 minutes ago, SODAKSKERSFAN20 said:

I know I said this awhile back (and maybe in his recruiting profile) he dude is a guard. He shouldn't be playing tackle in the Big 10. I watched live many times and thought the same thing in HS. I think he would be a great guard. Right now he is a below average tackle. 

Hoping by years end he slides inside and Benhart inserts at RT. Benhart may take his lumps but it will probably make the offense work better if he can hold his own out there and Farniok is working on the inside

• Plus1 2

It seems obvious that we are fielding the best offensive line we can. Riley didn't leave a lot of raw talent or body types that could just be plugged in.

You have to recruit the guy based on frame and then you have to fill him out in the gym and the dinner table. That takes time. Something that none of us really want to hear right now.

• Plus1 3

47 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Hoping by years end he slides inside and Benhart inserts at RT. Benhart may take his lumps but it will probably make the offense work better if he can hold his own out there and Farniok is working on the inside

Honest question, would Benhart take anymore lumps than Jurgens playing center? At least Benhart has played OL through HS.   It would enable  Matt to move inside where some say he would do better as a guard.    

• Plus1 1
Just now, lo country said:

Honest question, would Benhart take anymore lumps than Jurgens playing center? At least Benhart has played OL through HS.   It would enable  Matt to move inside where some say he would do better as a guard.    

Jurgens has a year of S&C and doesn't have to try and block Chase Young and AJ Epenesa. I would say there are more lumps to be had at the Tackle position.

Also where are we at on the board autocorrecting Remington? I think people talk about Rimington more than shotguns.

52 minutes ago, Undone said:

It seems obvious that we are fielding the best offensive line we can. Riley didn't leave a lot of raw talent or body types that could just be plugged in.

You have to recruit the guy based on frame and then you have to fill him out in the gym and the dinner table. That takes time. Something that none of us really want to hear right now.

Plus a lot of these guys lost time to the optional weight program.  Weight programs are like your 401k, what you invest at the beginning creates exponential growth.  And missing the beginning means it's that much harder to catch up on.

• Plus1 1