Who's OUR guy? Frost's already done this.

DefenderAO

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah. The Urban Meyer video was focusing on Maryland's back mainly. I don't know a ton about him but I'd take Mo's straight line speed anyday.

Didn't even watch the video but we have speed all over I'm not worried about who our playmaker is. We have multiple guys who can house it on any given play.

The only reason I scoff at the notion of "give them time, they need time to build a roster of playmakers" is because sure, players come in every year and can make a big impact.  But we also lose them every year.  So unless you stockpile two massive classes in a row with game changing talent, it's solely on the staff to develop them regardless of their star ratings.  It's solely on the coaches not to put us in a position to allow 34 points in a the 2nd half of a game we were winning 17-0 at the half.  Do what works to win games, not what WILL work eventually.  The fan base needs W's right now.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Redux said:

The only reason I scoff at the notion of "give them time, they need time to build a roster of playmakers" is because sure, players come in every year and can make a big impact.  But we also lose them every year.  So unless you stockpile to massive classes in a row with game changing talent, it's solely on the staff to develop them regardless of their star ratings.  It's solely on the coa8not to put us ina position to allow 34 points in a the 2nd half of a game we were winning 17-0 at the half.  Do what works to win games, not what WILL work eventually.  The fan base needs W's right now.

Losing classes recruited and coached by Riley and replacing them with Frost recruits probably isn't a bad thing. After a certain amount of time what you say is true but right now we aren't losing much at the end of this year and that is a problem. Great teams rely on upperclassmen especially along their lines.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

35 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

At this point, it might be beneficial to give Adrian a max of two reads in the route tree. If neither is open, then take off and run. 

I wish they would roll him out. Throw if it’s there and run if it’s not open. Throw the ball away if the defense is stringing it out. 

Give him slants, swing passes, and high % throws. 

27 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Losing classes recruited and coached by Riley and replacing them with Frost recruits probably isn't a bad thing. After a certain amount of time what you say is true but right now we aren't losing much at the end of this year and that is a problem. Great teams rely on upperclassmen especially along their lines.

I'm not buying that a majority of Riley's guys just suck, because that's what this implies.  Frost has had time with them now to improve their S&C and better their football IQ.  Just because they are from a Riley class doesn't excuse them to suck for their entire college tenure.  I see them trying, a hell of a lot more than they were.  The Colorado loss was on game management.

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

I'm not buying that a majority of Riley's guys just suck, because that's what this implies.  Frost has had time with them now to improve their S&C and better their football IQ.  Just because they are from a Riley class doesn't excuse them to suck for their entire college tenure.  I see them trying, a hell of a lot more than they were.  The Colorado loss was on game management.

Well the numbers say otherwise. When most of your participants are are Fr., RSFr. and So. That probably means you don't have upperclassmen to play. It's partially that they suck, but the other aspect of it is there aren't many left. Alot of those guys have transferred. I'm not saying Frost doesn't deserve a good size helping of blame for this loss. But at the same time the idea that he needs more time to build the roster isn't wrong.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Riley sucked.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well the numbers say otherwise. When most of your participants are are Fr., RSFr. and So. That probably means you don't have upperclassmen to play. It's partially that they suck, but the other aspect of it is there aren't many left. Alot of those guys have transferred. I'm not saying Frost doesn't deserve a good size helping of blame for this loss. But at the same time the idea that he needs more time to build the roster isn't wrong.

Why can't it be both, gentlemen? We mismanaged what we had/got conservative in the 3rd quarter, and we also just don't have the kids we need (especially on the O-Line) ready or waiting in the wings. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

Why can't it be both, gentlemen? We mismanaged what we had/got conservative in the 3rd quarter, and we also just don't have the kids we need (especially on the O-Line) ready or waiting in the wings. 

Or as the coaches phrased it, the lack of overall depth and talent leaves us with a small margin for error. That includes game management errors.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, STL Husker said:

It seems to me like completion percentage was pounded into his brain so hard that he is afraid to throw an incompletion.  It's almost like he has the yips when it comes to throwing a ball on time.  Even his touchdown to JD was after the play broke down and he was all by himself.  Combine that with happy feet and he doesn't have a chance.  He needs to get back to having "no fear of failure" and just let it rip.  I don't remember him having any timing  on time with WRs other than the one Wandale dropped and even then it was slow developing and wide open.  

I'm guessing a point of emphasis this year was turnovers and avoiding them.  I believe Adrian is being more careful with the ball this year.  Given 2AM's running ability It makes more sense to not risk an interception and scramble for a few yards.  Colorado baited Martinez before the game by saying he was a bad passer while planning to emphasize pass defense.  Good strategy since we have a weak run game.  CU was so bad that even dropping 8 we had receivers open in the first half.  Second half they did a better job covering but their strategy should still fail since we have a dual threat QB that can shred them with his legs if the pass isn't there.  I'd prefer he continue being careful with the ball and avoid interceptions.  The one interception he had was thrown badly.  He was trying to make a completion.  Late in a game most teams throw deep passes short.  If the WR can get a step on a defender the defender is desperate to break up the pass.  Not knowing where the ball is they position themselves to break up a well thrown ball.  This puts them in a position between the ball and the WR which is an automatic pass interference call as the WR is blocked from "catching" the ball.  The WR has the advantage because he knows the pass is going to be thrown short.  NW are masters of this.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Or as the coaches phrased it, the lack of overall depth and talent leaves us with a small margin for error. That includes game management errors.

This is what is getting on Nebraska fans' nerves, IMO--the fact that we have a distinct lack of depth from our previous coaching regime, while new coaches (e.g. Maryland) are able to walk in and take advantage of on-hand talent right away to extraordinary results. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

This is what is getting on Nebraska fans' nerves, IMO--the fact that we have a distinct lack of depth from our previous coaching regime, while new coaches (e.g. Maryland) are able to walk in and take advantage of on-hand talent right away to extraordinary results. 

It might be a little early to use Maryland as the example.  They beat #23 Texas last season.....and went on to finish 5-7.

What Frost did immediately at UCF is probably the best example of "extraordinary" to be found.  And at UCF there was some pretty good talent on the lines of scrimmage.  Frost brought in his guys at skill positions, which are easier to produce immediate results when other pieces are in place.