Who's OUR guy? Frost's already done this.

DefenderAO

6 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

This is what is getting on Nebraska fans' nerves, IMO--the fact that we have a distinct lack of depth from our previous coaching regime, while new coaches (e.g. Maryland) are able to walk in and take advantage of on-hand talent right away to extraordinary results. 

Right, that is a little weird. I think some has to do with the absolute disaster that Frost took over for, but it's hard to argue Maryland was less of a dumpster fire. In their case I do think it helps that they were already building towards a similar scheme instead of switching from pro-style to spread. But it almost seems like Frost is making it too complicated - he wants his offense to have an answer for everything, and I think it will in time. But particularly in college football, sometimes you've just got to let the players make plays.

Also FWIW while I think Maryland is better than I expected, but they're not going to keep running over (or past?) people quite like this. They play Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State before we get them - I don't think they'll be flying this high in late November.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Also FWIW while I think Maryland is better than I expected, but they're not going to keep running over (or past?) people quite like this. They play Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State before we get them - I don't think they'll be flying this high in late November.

This is a key point in all of this.  For both teams, we have a very small sample size.  Let's see where each are at at the end of the year.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Right, that is a little weird. I think some has to do with the absolute disaster that Frost took over for, but it's hard to argue Maryland was less of a dumpster fire. In their case I do think it helps that they were already building towards a similar scheme instead of switching from pro-style to spread. But it almost seems like Frost is making it too complicated - he wants his offense to have an answer for everything, and I think it will in time. But particularly in college football, sometimes you've just got to let the players make plays.

Maryland 2016: Started 4-0 and finished the season 6-7 

Maryland 2017: Beat ranked Texas game one 51-41 and finished the season 4-8 

Maryland 2018: Beat ranked Texas again and finished the season 5-7

Lets wait and see how the season plays out 

30 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

This is what is getting on Nebraska fans' nerves, IMO--the fact that we have a distinct lack of depth from our previous coaching regime, while new coaches (e.g. Maryland) are able to walk in and take advantage of on-hand talent right away to extraordinary results. 

Another thing I can't get a great read on is the culture/SandC things. I have always assumed there was a base level of competitive spirit and a base level of dedication to lifting/improving in all college programs. Maybe there is, maybe there isn't, I will probably never know for certain. Because of that, it is hard for me to say if what we are seeing is a lifting/losing culture that was far worse than most NCAA programs and therefore more difficult to dig out of as opposed to a basic NCAA program like a CU or Maryland. I mean, if it was really fritos and ice cream and show up willy nilly for game day here, that is so so so bad.  If that is all an exaggeration and we were at least basic functional in those regards, makes it seem more like its another excuse. In the end it doesn't matter too much, WE can't change the timeline for improvement, we have to just trust that Frost and Co can change that. 

49 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Why can't it be both, gentlemen? We mismanaged what we had/got conservative in the 3rd quarter, and we also just don't have the kids we need (especially on the O-Line) ready or waiting in the wings. 

Of course it's both, it absolutely is.  Frost obviously needs to get his players here, players that don't need a complete reboot.

But tap dancing bear on skates......he is 5-9 in 14 games.  That's not all "Riley's guys suck".  I heard the hype pre season, Frost has them so far along blah blah blah.  But now we can't play 4 quarters of offense so we dig back in the bag and reuse the "It's Riley's fault" excuse.

I'm all in on Frost, could not be happier he is here.  But yikes.....

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I'm guessing a point of emphasis this year was turnovers and avoiding them.  I believe Adrian is being more careful with the ball this year.  Given 2AM's running ability It makes more sense to not risk an interception and scramble for a few yards.  Colorado baited Martinez before the game by saying he was a bad passer while planning to emphasize pass defense.  Good strategy since we have a weak run game.  CU was so bad that even dropping 8 we had receivers open in the first half.  Second half they did a better job covering but their strategy should still fail since we have a dual threat QB that can shred them with his legs if the pass isn't there.  I'd prefer he continue being careful with the ball and avoid interceptions.  The one interception he had was thrown badly.  He was trying to make a completion.  Late in a game most teams throw deep passes short.  If the WR can get a step on a defender the defender is desperate to break up the pass.  Not knowing where the ball is they position themselves to break up a well thrown ball.  This puts them in a position between the ball and the WR which is an automatic pass interference call as the WR is blocked from "catching" the ball.  The WR has the advantage because he knows the pass is going to be thrown short.  NW are masters of this.

Great write-up. And just as an aside, imagine all of the complaining on here if Martinez had either had 2-3 interceptions or 2-3 fumbles. He got ripped after game 1 for throwing downfield into traffic too much...then he goes conservative and gets ripped for that.   :)

It's really easy to just say, "Just find the balance right in the middle." Well...yes, obviously.

It is what it is. To me, it's mainly on Frost to see those queues in-game and then adjust the play calling to the easier high percentage throws. I've looked at our second possession of the third quarter and that's to me where we started to lose the game. There really wasn't anything wrong with the play calling; on the first series we got a first down. On the second series, the first play was a five yard run. And then on 2nd & 3rd downs we basically just didn't execute.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Redux said:

Of course it's both, it absolutely is.  Frost obviously needs to get his players here, players that don't need a complete reboot.

But tap dancing bear on skates......he is 5-9 in 14 games.  That's not all "Riley's guys suck".  I heard the hype pre season, Frost has them so far along blah blah blah.  But now we can't play 4 quarters of offense so we dig back in the bag and reuse the "It's Riley's fault" excuse.

I'm all in on Frost, could not be happier he is here.  But yikes.....

Sometimes fault doesn't matter.

But don't let short term memory forget that not so long ago, a Riley led Husker team couldn't even get Ohio State to punt, and got DESTROYED by Iowa and Penn State.

Destroyed.

With the exception of the Michigan game, Frost has the team competitive.

Riley sucked.

• Plus1 6

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This is a point that I think will become larger by the end of this season. When was the last time we didn't get blown out at least once during the season? 

Surprisingly we didn't in 2015, unless you count the 55-45 loss to Purdue which would be fair. The other losses were by 5 points or less. But yeah, feels like every year we've had at least one complete meltdown. And if you do count Purdue that year (it was pretty bad), it's gotta be 2010.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Sometimes fault doesn't matter.

But don't let short term memory forget that not so long ago, a Riley led Husker team couldn't even get Ohio State to punt, and got DESTROYED by Iowa and Penn State.

Destroyed.

With the exception of the Michigan game, Frost has the team competitive.

Riley sucked.

Someday you won't be able to say "Riley sucked" when the subject is the current head coach not delivering what you yourself expected.

Let's make that day today. 

• Thanks 1

The way people make Riley out to be in an effort to excuse Frost is hilarious. You'd think there's a 500 foot tumor that was living underneath North Stadium for three years with how unbelievably powerful and destructive he apparently was. 

Meanwhile Bill Callahan was either so bad at being bad, or Bo was so good, that he was able to instill a winning culture with high expectations/results significantly faster with all of those mentally weak, culturally poisoned players.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

The way people make Riley out to be in an effort to excuse Frost is hilarious. You'd think there's a 500 foot tumor that was living underneath North Stadium for three years with how unbelievably powerful and destructive he apparently was. 

Meanwhile Bill Callahan was either so bad at being bad, or Bo was so good, that he was able to instill a winning culture with high expectations/results significantly faster.

Riley and Callahan we're both destructive.

They can each in part thank their respective hiring ADs for setting them up for failure.