From Facebook

I see a lot of posts saying where they were.  Me, I was in between classes walking through the High School.  On my way someone who clearly didn't grasp the gravity of the situation told me "Terrorist's just attacked the World Trade Center" and kind of chuckled.

I didn't really understand what they meant, in my head I pictured a bunch of SWAT looking guys like you'd see in a Die Hard movie, raiding business office floors.   Then I got to my class and naturally it was the only thing we really did the rest the day, watch the news coverage of the scene in New York.

Events like these are unfortunately unavoidable, bad things happen.  But as a nation, we all came together that day.  Nobody was excluded, there wasn't man or woman or black or white.  Everyone was "American".

18 years later this country is more divided than ever.  Race, gender and even justification to rights of non citizens are hot button issues.  Today we remember those fallen.  I wish we could also remember the unity we all shared that day.  From disaster breeds real feelings.  Unfortunately that unity isn't permanent.  Beliefs and prejudices take back over.  Here's to hoping that people can again remember what it was like to stand shoulder to shoulder instead of from an imaginary podium looking down on those they disagree with or feel superior to.  Here's to those lost, to those who responded and to those who served.  Thank you.

#NeverForget

• Plus1 3

14 minutes ago, Redux said:

Sorry I guess I thought yesterday was about remembering those lost and those that responded, not the racism that was already there before 9/11.  But if that's really all you want to take away from it.

It's a long fall from that saddle...

Not every American citizen had the luxury of sharing that "unity" that day. Let's not forget that either.

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, ZRod said:

It's a long fall from that saddle...

Not every American citizen had the luxury of sharing that "unity" that day. Let's not forget that either.

So when someone says "Black Lives Matter", you chime in with "All Lives Matter" right?  Because that's the logic you're using right now.

9 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Just stop.

You opted to "be that guy", take your own advice.  On the anniversary of a tragedy your big takeaway from a post trying to find a positive of unity was to try and split it.  Don't we have enough divide?  Of course people of darker skin tone had a tough time after 9/11, and not just from established racism.  Terrorism became all too real for the entire country.  Fear breeds hate.  You're not offering an alternative perspective here, you're shoehorning a relative issue onto a moment of remembrance.  But at least you waited until 9/12.

2 hours ago, Redux said:

Sorry I guess I thought yesterday was about remembering those lost and those that responded, 

That is absolutely valid. Yesterday was another moment to remember and honor, but also an opportunity to learn.

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

This is one of the important takeaways from that day, and recognizing some of the ugliness that rose out of that day does not need to be divisive. It should inspire us as Americans to do better and be better. When we think about 9/11 and then look around today, we should think about how the world changed in that moment and how things have otherwise changed since then, and how we should work to make positive change. 

1 hour ago, Redux said:

You opted to "be that guy", take your own advice.  On the anniversary of a tragedy your big takeaway from a post trying to find a positive of unity was to try and split it. 

I am often "that guy" as well, so I hope its okay that I jump in. I don't think ZRod was trying to "split" the "positive of unity." He was shining light on reality, and the reality is that there were and continue to be political and social consequences from 9/11. Unity borne out of fear and despair is not true unity. If we want to talk about unity and actually achieve it, what do we need to do? How have we fallen short? It is a very worthy topic of conversation, and we can honor the sacrifices of that day by having that conversation.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Of course people of darker skin tone had a tough time after 9/11, and not just from established racism.  Terrorism became all too real for the entire country.  

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? There are a lot of interwoven subjects here, I'm not sure which direction to go.