Our Team's Mental Acuity and Resilience: Perhaps Look at improving the Sports Psychology staff?

2 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Apples to oranges comparison here as I didnt think a Natty coming into this year...but i hold onto the fact that OSU lost to VTech at home in their natty year and they "found themselves" after that. Hoping we have a similar step to a 9-3 season

Based on the first half we saw last weekend I'd say this team has the talent, scheme and ability to go 9-3 or maybe even still 10-2. However it's on the coaches and players to figure out what that takes mentally and make it happen.

Just wanted to resurrect this thread and update it post-2019 season.

Can't recall how many times I'd hear folks on the radio call this team "mentally fragile", and while we saw somewhat of a resurgence against Wisky and Iowa, that resurgence was punctuated by mental mistakes/miscues by both offensive and defensive players at crucial moments. 

I feel strongly that this is an area that Moos needs to address to help not just Nebraska Football, but all Nebraska sports, and we have a man that can do just this hanging out in Omaha that has already said he'd be willing to help the University out again, either directly or indirectly. 

As far as the "mental acuity" part, I saw two three  four instances of plays that might point to needing an improvement in this area:

1.  Lamar Jackson pulling up in anticipation of a tackle...that was missed and resulted in a touchdown

2.  A fumble on the sideline where several players pulled up and didn't go for the ball until they finally heard the entire sideline screaming at them to go get it.

3.  Continued fair catches inside the ten yard line.

4.  Downing the ball on a punt before it has time to roll farther down the field.

Back in the day, this was lumped under "hustle", and was a quality a player had, just like speed or strength or the like.  Some had it, some didn't.  Watching Frost yell at the special teams to run off the field as they slowly trudged towards the bench after another disappointing play might clue us that the coach sees this as well.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, BackInTheDay said:

As far as the "mental acuity" part, I saw two three  four instances of plays that might point to needing an improvement in this area:

1.  Lamar Jackson pulling up in anticipation of a tackle...that was missed and resulted in a touchdown

2.  A fumble on the sideline where several players pulled up and didn't go for the ball until they finally heard the entire sideline screaming at them to go get it.

3.  Continued fair catches inside the ten yard line.

4.  Downing the ball on a punt before it has time to roll farther down the field.

Back in the day, this was lumped under "hustle", and was a quality a player had, just like speed or strength or the like.  Some had it, some didn't.  Watching Frost yell at the special teams to run off the field as they slowly trudged towards the bench after another disappointing play might clue us that the coach sees this as well.

For #3, no one teaches heels on the 10 anymore. Too many good punters, too many chances to get downed inside the 5. I  believe it's the 7 now - would you rather catch it there, or let it go over your head and maybe get a touchback/maybe get it downed at the 2?

For #4, can't say I remember any of those. Quite a few where they weren't quick enough and it bounced backwards.

I do think our team needs to be mentally tougher, but I don't know about any of those examples other than the fumble - that's just football 101. Jump on the ball if it's loose, no matter what.

4 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Just wanted to resurrect this thread and update it post-2019 season.

Can't recall how many times I'd hear folks on the radio call this team "mentally fragile", and while we saw somewhat of a resurgence against Wisky and Iowa, that resurgence was punctuated by mental mistakes/miscues by both offensive and defensive players at crucial moments. 

I feel strongly that this is an area that Moos needs to address to help not just Nebraska Football, but all Nebraska sports, and we have a man that can do just this hanging out in Omaha that has already said he'd be willing to help the University out again, either directly or indirectly. 

Yes, the inexplicable reluctance to tap this resource is unfathomable...

2 minutes ago, Comish said:

Yes, the inexplicable reluctance to tap this resource is unfathomable...

Agreed. Then again, we don't know if this resource is asking for exorbitant fees due to his proven success or something else outlandish that the University has balked at. 

But it's pretty evident that this aspect of our sports program needs to be updated. 

18 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Agreed. Then again, we don't know if this resource is asking for exorbitant fees due to his proven success or something else outlandish that the University has balked at. 

But it's pretty evident that this aspect of our sports program needs to be updated. 

Considering his stellar record and unparalleled reputation, I would be very surprised if money was an issue. I think he's just a guy who genuinely cares about the program.

and maybe get a touchback/maybe get it downed at the 2?

LOL, Spielman DID fair catch one on the 2! 

Also, letting the ball go inside the ten rather than fair catch eliminates the chance of a muffed catch or fumble.  The only thing worse than 1st and 10 Nebraska on their own 8 yard line is 1st and goal opponent on Nebraska's 8 yard line because we tried to save three yards.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, BackInTheDay said:

LOL, Spielman DID fair catch one on the 2! 

Also, letting the ball go inside the ten rather than fair catch eliminates the chance of a muffed catch or fumble.  The only thing worse than 1st and 10 Nebraska on their own 8 yard line is 1st and goal opponent on Nebraska's 8 yard line because we tried to save three yards.

Ha, yeah I forgot about that one. Just pointing out some of the inside the 10 fair catches are coaching decisions, not mental errors. But the one at the 2 was bad, you're right.

• Plus1 1

The mental aspect of sports can be just as important as the physical, and perhaps even more important in a lot of cases.

My problem is - I don't know if an 'expanded sports psychology' department is the answer at the moment. Maybe it is. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but are we speculating whether this is the difference between winning five games vs. 10? It doesn't feel like this is the answer for me.

I guess part of the problem is that Frost has been really damn good at saying the right things so far. We've heard some speeches to the team, we know what he says to us the fans. It has always felt like he gets 'it.' So, perhaps my brain is just having a tough time figuring out why it hasn't clicked for the team. The other problem is that I see a team that just doesn't have a lot of dudes right now - physical, over-powering dudes. It's tough to say whether that's a recruiting issue, an individual talent issue, a development issue, a mental issue, or some combination of everything.

12 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I think we're recruiting fragile guys.

I feel like it's kind of tough to say that about the newer guys at this point.

I may be mistaken, but despite the massive roster turnover, a majority (or at least a significant portion) of our starters and team leaders the last two seasons were Riley guys. Now, to be clear, I don't think it's much of an excuse. They should be and need to be better. But, we haven't seen a lot of those younger guys really make a significant impact yet. And then ones we have seen (Robinson, Cam Taylor, AM) appear to have a ton of potential still. Even AM.

I think we need to see more of Frost's guys in action and in leadership positions before we start making sweeping generalizations.