Genius posters rejoice CornNations shows CU's D adjustments

lo country

Great break down by the guys at Corn Nation and how CU adjusted at the half and NU's O didn't.  A lot was predicated on, as posters noted, delayed and disguised blitzes. Also new and inexperienced OL making the wrong calls/reads based upon the "look" of CU's defenders.  Also mentions a NU lineman who "lunges" in pass pro (and did last year) that DC's have picked up on. Good read and suggestions IMHO.  Unsure how long it will take to shore up, but explains a lot of the offensive miscues.

https://www.cornnation.com/2019/9/11/20859894/nebraska-football-colorado-loss-plays-key

• Plus1 4

5 minutes ago, lincoln84 said:

What I don’t understand is why our coaches didn’t adjust for that in real time? Surely this was obvious to the staff during the game?  It seems like every first year coach can easily scheme against us. Not just SF, but for the past decade.

Those are several adjustments, and Colorado didn't roll them all out at once. And for stunts in particular, while I'm sure we have some plays that would specifically take advantage of the movement, for passes its really on the lineman to handle them. Can't really call a stunt specific pass protection. 

• Plus1 7

2 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

What concerns me is the 2nd half will now become the bible for stopping Frost's offense and I'm sure every DC will study it in depth. If the staff can't figure out what they are doing and a way to counter it this going to be a very long season.

Agree 100%.  It reminds me of when SDSU almost beat us with T Martinez at QB.  Seems like it showed a way to take him out of the game....

16 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

What concerns me is the 2nd half will now become the bible for stopping Frost's offense and I'm sure every DC will study it in depth. If the staff can't figure out what they are doing and a way to counter it this going to be a very long season.

It's a little easier to come up with adjustments week to week than it is in game. Obviously the in game adjustments need to be better, but we'll have adjustments and extra focus on things like stunts. I don't think any of the things in the article are unsolvable for Frost's offense - I think it's a leap to suggest the staff doesn't know what Colorado was doing or doesn't have answers. Some different things that need extra prep for sure, but stunts and simulated pressure should be solved by the line gelling. Which, to be fair, could be a problem. 

• Plus1 2

Frankly, the thing that bothers me the most is Frost’s postgame comments that “Colorado didn’t really make adjustments, we just failed to execute”. He’s a horrible liar and I could tell he didn’t want to tip off future opponents to how Colorado derailed his high-powered offense. Well they can all watch film. This is an excellent article that spells it all out for everyone. (Sigh)

• Plus1 1

The top teams and top coaches at all levels. College and pro. Are great in game adjusters. 

Thats probably the biggest reason the patriots have been great for 20 years. They  adjust every drive. Hell sometimes mid drive. 

Frost can for sure get better at that. He has a proven track record as a great playcaller- to do that you have to adjust your calls all game to counter the D. Not sure why he is in a funk. Maybe it’s martinez? Maybe our oline sucks and options are limited? 

• Fire 1
20 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Frankly, the thing that bothers me the most is Frost’s postgame comments that “Colorado didn’t really make adjustments, we just failed to execute”. He’s a horrible liar and I could tell he didn’t want to tip off future opponents to how Colorado derailed his high-powered offense. Well they can all watch film. This is an excellent article that spells it all out for everyone. (Sigh)

Cheese and rice! He's not a liar. I'm sure they work on stunts and blitzes all the time. Ultimately it's on the linemen and QB to communicate and adjust on the fly. Execution.

Maybe they need to drill harder and more to get the repetition down. We'll improve as the season goes on.

• Plus1 1

AM is going to have to start running more and make better decisions or 2AM will stand for second string.  The future as NU QB requires a desire to run for 5-10 yards and make very quick 4 level decisions.  This seems bold however I believe there are kids behind AM that understand that and will be capable next season.

21 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I don't think they would need to be tipped if in a press conference, other teams are better at finding this stuff than writers. It is an excellent article because I'm not good at identifying schematic things, but no D1 staff would need an article or a press conference to see it.

I think it's time for the oline to prove they belong out there though. They know how to block stunts, high school lineman know how to block stunts. Well executed stunts are tough, that's why people run them. But either get it figured out, or see if the next man up can. 

• Plus1 2