Genius posters rejoice CornNations shows CU's D adjustments

lo country

I stand corrected. I didn't think they ran ANY mesh plays, but they did run at least one. It's basically one of the top 3 go-to pass plays for nearly every spread coach, including Leach (a spread forefather, everyone steals from this man), Dabo, Brian Kelly, Urban, etc. Urban destroyed Michigan's man coverage with it last year, more than a few times. It's very hard to stay with the crossing receivers with the natural picks and poor defensive coverage angles.

I didn't see it much, if at all last year, so it's nice to see it at least once here. If run right (like all plays, I know), it presents several problems at once for most coverages. The beauty of it is the easy read and throw that the QB gets. Hopefully we do it more, because if we get blocking, AM should be able to make it go. 

In Scott's version, here, Wandale ended up wide open, and pretty quickly, but it seems AM was focused on Stoll. Of course, our RT didn't even think about picking up a corner blitz, so it was pretty screwed from the start. Several different versions have a back stay in to check for blitz, but will slip out in the flat if none comes, and it's an easy check-down. We sent Washington deep, so he was no help here in either aspect. 

Scott needs to be okay with grind-it-out drives, and mesh is a great play to do that. It might be a little dink-and-dunk, but every now and then, it can go for a lot. If nothing else, it's a very high percentage way to get 4+ yards.

29 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I stand corrected. I didn't think they ran ANY mesh plays, but they did run at least one. It's basically one of the top 3 go-to pass plays for nearly every spread coach, including Leach (a spread forefather, everyone steals from this man), Dabo, Brian Kelly, Urban, etc. Urban destroyed Michigan's man coverage with it last year, more than a few times. It's very hard to stay with the crossing receivers with the natural picks and poor defensive coverage angles.

I didn't see it much, if at all last year, so it's nice to see it at least once here. If run right (like all plays, I know), it presents several problems at once for most coverages. The beauty of it is the easy read and throw that the QB gets. Hopefully we do it more, because if we get blocking, AM should be able to make it go. 

In Scott's version, here, Wandale ended up wide open, and pretty quickly, but it seems AM was focused on Stoll. Of course, our RT didn't even think about picking up a corner blitz, so it was pretty screwed from the start. Several different versions have a back stay in to check for blitz, but will slip out in the flat if none comes, and it's an easy check-down. We sent Washington deep, so he was no help here in either aspect. 

Scott needs to be okay with grind-it-out drives, and mesh is a great play to do that. It might be a little dink-and-dunk, but every now and then, it can go for a lot. If nothing else, it's a very high percentage way to get 4+ yards.

Explosive plays are born out of the mundane 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Frankly, the thing that bothers me the most is Frost’s postgame comments that “Colorado didn’t really make adjustments, we just failed to execute”. He’s a horrible liar and I could tell he didn’t want to tip off future opponents to how Colorado derailed his high-powered offense. Well they can all watch film. This is an excellent article that spells it all out for everyone. (Sigh)

I don't blame Frost for not saying ya they adjusted and we didn't, woops. Yes other coaches can and will watch this film and try to use it. However Frost will watch this film too and identify ways for his offense to beat this style of defense. Football play calling is a game of adjustments and you don't get as good as Frost is at it without understanding how to adjust your scheme and play calling to account for defenses figuring out ways to slow you down.  

5 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Sooooo...why no adjust vs CU?

What makes you think we didn't? The first two clips are from the 3rd quarter, before we scored twice in the 4th quarter. The 3rd clip is before we scored our final TD.

Also, the main adjustments to the stunts and blitzes in these scenarios would have to be on the fly adjustments from the linemen. 

• Plus1 2

Our WR and interior OL play have been suspect. I counted at least 10  times Boe and Trent standing and watching the linebacker/defensive tackle make the play and ruin any offensive rhythm.

We are another 1-2 years out from sustained success early in the seasons. There is still a lot of football left this year but someone has dropped the ball with fundamentals and assignments.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

AM is going to have to start running more and make better decisions or 2AM will stand for second string.  The future as NU QB requires a desire to run for 5-10 yards and make very quick 4 level decisions.  This seems bold however I believe there are kids behind AM that understand that and will be capable next season.

That's one way to look at it.  One could also conclude that behind AM we are thin right now at QB period.  If you just start turning him loose obviously you're taking the risk of throwing your only experienced QB and the teams best player to the wolves and hoping that he doesn't get injured.  At least that would be my strategy right now.  Run him only when you really need to.  Then again I am overly cautious when it comes to those things.

At a lower level, but being a former QB there is nothing worse than a newbie center. I'm not saying Jurgens won't get better, because he does have the talent and potential, but right now, it's growing pains. His snaps got better but still weren't great Saturday. He doesn't have the experience to call out LBs - which is what hurt us in the 2nd half. Noa and Robinson weren't even on campus last year and are starting. Hixson is a walk on. Our o-line are average players. 

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

Frankly, the thing that bothers me the most is Frost’s postgame comments that “Colorado didn’t really make adjustments, we just failed to execute”. He’s a horrible liar and I could tell he didn’t want to tip off future opponents to how Colorado derailed his high-powered offense. Well they can all watch film. This is an excellent article that spells it all out for everyone. (Sigh)

It's one thing that bothers me about Frost; he hasn't discovered when to park his hubris. 

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

That's one way to look at it.  One could also conclude that behind AM we are thin right now at QB period.  If you just start turning him loose obviously you're taking the risk of throwing your only experienced QB and the teams best player to the wolves and hoping that he doesn't get injured.  At least that would be my strategy right now.  Run him only when you really need to.  Then again I am overly cautious when it comes to those things.

There is depth behind AMart: Vedral is in his 3rd year in the system and was good enough to back up Milton as a Freshman. McCaffery is a great athlete, and Bunch has game experience. 

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

At a lower level, but being a former QB there is nothing worse than a newbie center. I'm not saying Jurgens won't get better, because he does have the talent and potential, but right now, it's growing pains. His snaps got better but still weren't great Saturday. He doesn't have the experience to call out LBs - which is what hurt us in the 2nd half. Noa and Robinson weren't even on campus last year and are starting. Hixson is a walk on. Our o-line are average players. 

The interior of the O-line was my biggest fear coming into the year, and that fear hasn't been assuaged yet. 

9 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Farniok had problems, but let's not pretend he's the only one. The LT didn't pick up his corner blitz which arrived at the same time either, and if we really want to point fingers that's probably the wrong protection call from Jurgens/Martinez. I don't know exactly what they're supposed to do there, but even if Farniok magically blocks both of his guys Martinez is getting crushed from the blindside. Not as bad as a few plays at Michigan, but that's the entire line.

For the second bolded part, not gonna happen. I guess that depends on what you mean by "be okay with," but an intentional grind it out drive just isn't part of this offense - even in the 4 minute offense we tried to take a shot.

I'm also curious if anyone who knows more about line play knows what you do with that simulated pressure? You have to respect the possibility of all 7 guys coming - should we have been protecting outside-in so Martinez could go outside the pocket? Do the Guards need to bail out wide to pick up the blitz once their responsibilties drop? Or does Martinez just need to treat it like a draw? I'm sure there are other possibilities as well, I just have a hard time believing there wasn't some way to handle that.