#1 Huskers vs #2 Stanford

Mavric

Stanford has a hell of a schedule this year.

Hambly will have this team absolutely ready for a run through the Pac-12 after a non-con schedule that includes, in back-to-back-to-back-to-back matches:

#3 Texas

#4 Penn State

#8 Minnesota

#2 Nebraska

The last three are on the road.

That's like a mid-season Big Ten schedule.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to #1 Huskers vs #2 Stanford

On the one hand, they're representing this as an act of atonement for the whiteboard incident at last year's National Championship match. Which is fine.

But at the same time they're saying they plan on doing this exact same kind of community service at other stops across the country. So, if they're doing this all over, it's not necessarily atonement for that incident, is it?

Just a random observation. It's definitely cool that they spend time with kids like this.

• Fire 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

On the one hand, they're representing this as an act of atonement for the whiteboard incident at last year's National Championship match. Which is fine.

But at the same time they're saying they plan on doing this exact same kind of community service at other stops across the country. So, if they're doing this all over, it's not necessarily atonement for that incident, is it?

Just a random observation. It's definitely cool that they spend time with kids like this.

Yeah I agree.  It could be more of an 'let's improve our image' move on their part more after that happened perhaps.  Just guessing though.

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

18 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I agree.  It could be more of an 'let's improve our image' move on their part more after that happened perhaps.  Just guessing though.

Or, the more the players and coaches spend time giving back to communities they play in, they understand the human side of life and are less likely to do the same thing again.

I don't think this is something to be criticized for.

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Mark me up as not real confident in this match.  The one thing working in our favor is that they have played that tough schedule before getting here.  BUT...that also could have prepared them better for a match like ours.

I guess that's why they play the games.  It should be a fun match to watch.

I expect to lose. I know the team has focused on this match all off season, but Stanford was powerful last year and they only lost one kid off their championship team. We had Foecke to rely on last year, and thus far nobody has remotely stepped up in her absence.

Also, while Knuckles is going to be really good, she isn't at Maloney's level yet, so that's another step down.

If we serve really tough, that slows their offense down a bit, and we have a shot. But we need Sweet to have the match of her career, and it would be really nice to have Capri Davis back.

I also think it doesn't work in our favor that they just lost to Minnesota. They're going to be focused, and the crowd won't affect them.

I'm just hoping for a good match, and plenty of learning experience for the young team.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I expect to lose. I know the team has focused on this match all off season, but Stanford was powerful last year and they only lost one kid off their championship team. We had Foecke to rely on last year, and thus far nobody has remotely stepped up in her absence.

Also, while Knuckles is going to be really good, she isn't at Maloney's level yet, so that's another step down.

If we serve really tough, that slows their offense down a bit, and we have a shot. But we need Sweet to have the match of her career, and it would be really nice to have Capri Davis back.

I also think it doesn't work in our favor that they just lost to Minnesota. They're going to be focused, and the crowd won't affect them.

I'm just hoping for a good match, and plenty of learning experience for the young team.

Yeah....I haven't watched them play much this year, but that pretty much sums up my feelings.

The nice thing is, if we do lose ( and that's not a definite), if the team keeps growing and building over the season, we can see them again at the end.  If we have to lose one, I'd much rather have it be this one to build from.