ESPN: Separating Fact From Fiction - Is Nebraska In Trouble?

Saunders

You know the story pretty well by now. Nebraska won four of six to finish 2018 and headed into the offseason with major hype and second-year leap potential under Scott Frost. The Huskers remained among the top 15 teams in terms of national title odds as the season approached, but whichever ratings system you prefer -- FPI, SP+, etc. -- it wasn't nearly as high on them as the conventional wisdom.

Thus far, it seems even the ratings were too high on them. The offense performed poorly in a 14-point win against South Alabama, then Nebraska leaped to an early lead at Colorado only to falter late and suffer a demoralizing overtime loss. Instead of a resounding 2-0, the Huskers are 1-1. With the schedule ahead, SP+ has dropped their odds of bowl eligibility to just 40 percent, and any hopes of a 2019 surge require an immediate step forward: Their three worst opponents (per SP+) show up on the schedule over the next four weeks.

The biggest issues right now: The run game has been terribly ineffective, and the defense is giving up too many big plays (and not just of the "96-yard flea-flicker" variety). That makes Northern Illinois an interesting opponent. The Huskies are 38th in marginal explosiveness on offense (a measure of mine that looks at the magnitude of a team's successful plays and adjusts for down, distance and field position), and their defense ranks 12th in stuff rate (run stops at or behind the line).

The Huskies probably aren't good enough to beat the Huskers without help, but they have plenty of leftover personnel (like linebacker Antonio Jones-Davis) from last year's dynamite defense and will test QB Adrian Martinez and the NU offense. If the Huskers struggle in this one, they might keep struggling for a while.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27601372/separating-fact-fiction-maryland-usc-trevor-lawrence-more

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

We need to show an attractive brand of football ASAP. The next few weeks are critical for recruiting. I want wins on the field and on the commit board. 

Duval tells the players something like "It's their job to become better players.  It's the coaches job to recruit players that are better then them."  The players have responded with "We'll see about that :devil".

Only in trouble in NE because hopes were raised too high by the HC and AD.

NE is not going to be in the final four in most of our lifetimes.

If Washington stays, which barring a conviction he will, then NE should be competitive in the West.

Injuries play a major role in teams in the BIG, particularly the West where depth of quality is thin.

Will winning the West in a couple of years be enough for most fans?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Skeptic said:

Only in trouble in NE because hopes were raised too high by the HC and AD.

NE is not going to be in the final four in most of our lifetimes.

If Washington stays, which barring a conviction he will, then NE should be competitive in the West.

Injuries play a major role in teams in the BIG, particularly the West where depth of quality is thin.

Will winning the West in a couple of years be enough for most fans?

"We really need to get to six (wins)," said Moos, who hired Frost. "We need to get in the postseason and get all those extra practices and get that recognition in college football."

"But I'm not worried about the number right now," he said. "I'm worried about getting better. And we are better."Frost said.

Yeah man they really raised those hopes up too high.....

• Plus1 9
24 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

Rebuilding takes time. This isn’t Madden. I just want a bowl game this year for the extra reps and tangible proof Frost is moving the needle the right way. I got my doubts if they can go bowling this year but I’m hoping. 

Going from 4-8 to 4-8 to a poor start that could turn out to be 4-8 again is not moving the needle in the right way at all.

The sound bites coming from the coaching staff are great, but they need to be followed with substantial improvement that fans and impartial observers can actually see.

7 minutes ago, Apsu said:

Going from 4-8 to 4-8 to a poor start that could turn out to be 4-8 again is not moving the needle in the right way at all.

The sound bites coming from the coaching staff are great, but they need to be followed with substantial improvement that fans and impartial observers can actually see.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I agree that would not be moving the needle, but we're 1-1. Any team in the country could still technically end up 4-8, let's get a little further into the year before deciding we're stagnant.

• Plus1 5