ESPN: Separating Fact From Fiction - Is Nebraska In Trouble?

Saunders

2 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

i know they dont.  they are going to continue to see a lot of fake or delayed blitzes and confusing fronts until they figure it out.

I think part of it is less on actual ability and more on communication so that at least is somewhat promising. Still need to figure it out

44 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I agree that would not be moving the needle, but we're 1-1. Any team in the country could still technically end up 4-8, let's get a little further into the year before deciding we're stagnant.

Judging by our poor performance, 4-8 is more likely.

If we can't put up at least 35 points on offense tomorrow night I'm going to be a little concerned. Not about our program, but just about why we can't use the play makers we have to average roughly 10 points per quarter.

I almost created a thread in the week leading up to the first game that said, "Are we closer to 10-2 or 7-5?" but I knew the overwhelming majority would say, "10-2."

31 minutes ago, runningblind said:

We're gonna run the option now?!?!?!

1361253703_http_2F2Fi.telegraph_co.uk2Fmultimedia2Farchive2F029352FDDMoon_2935942k.jpg.77d87204bccea7fd8b35ef781e7c0cac.jpg

I heard Frost burned the playbook in the lockerroom after the loss Saturday and instructed Mills to teach the team how to run wishbone triple option like he ran at GT from memory before the next game. Reports are we are looking much better and running the ball for 5 yards every single play. There are traps, counters and of course the beloved triple option. They hope everyone in Lincoln is pleasantly surprised. 

• Haha 3
  • Fire 1

If a question is asked “Are you in trouble?”, then yes, you are already in trouble. There must be enough apparent evidence for someone to justify an honest asking of that question in the first place. The question is, how bad of trouble? Minor or deep?

Are you in trouble? If the answer is yes, then questions arise as to what the problems are and what is their source and what to do about them. That creates another layer of trouble trying to find agreement and common ground on a useful response and plan of action.    

Husker Fans have over 20 years of built up frustration. That is big trouble.

Husker fans were so happy when Scott Frost came home. Many hoped for an instant return to Husker greatness. That wasn’t going to happen. This isn’t the same Nebraska when he was here before and college football is not the same as when the Huskers were winning national titles. And players are different now, much different from the generations of the 1970s and 1990s of Husker great times. This could be seen as “trouble” as deflated expectations do not add to the positive vibe around the program or put a bounce in anyone’s step.

Are the Huskers in trouble? Getting past the click-bait aspect and over-panic that some might indulge in, it’s a fair question when it’s obvious that something is lacking. A win or two will serve to pacify some of the negativity. But the next blow-out loss to a good opponent or more close wins or losses to non-Blue Bloods will just quickly bring right back all the questions.

OK, so there’s trouble. The response right now? Stay the course. Be patient. See what happens. Fans kick back and chill and refrain from over-reacting. Things will get more clear in the next few weeks for these young men and the program in general.

Few in Husker Nation would have chosen someone other than Scott Frost to come to Lincoln. It must not have been easy for him to leave a good situation in Florida and come back into a hurricane on the Plains. But he did it. This is not easy on him or his family which, for a football coach, is always married to the team as well. He deserves a full and unencumbered opportunity to succeed or fail here on his own terms. As do the players as well.

We don’t go looking for trouble. Trouble just finds us. And trouble does not ever provide us the answers of how to get out of them. We feel our way out of the cave at our own pace and no sooner.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

If a question is asked “Are you in trouble?”, then yes, you are already in trouble. There must be enough apparent evidence for someone to justify an honest asking of that question in the first place. The question is, how bad of trouble? Minor or deep?

Are you in trouble? If the answer is yes, then questions arise as to what the problems are and what is their source and what to do about them. That creates another layer of trouble trying to find agreement and common ground on a useful response and plan of action.    

Husker Fans have over 20 years of built up frustration. That is big trouble.

Husker fans were so happy when Scott Frost came home. Many hoped for an instant return to Husker greatness. That wasn’t going to happen. This isn’t the same Nebraska when he was here before and college football is not the same as when the Huskers were winning national titles. And players are different now, much different from the generations of the 1970s and 1990s of Husker great times. This could be seen as “trouble” as deflated expectations do not add to the positive vibe around the program or put a bounce in anyone’s step.

Are the Huskers in trouble? Getting past the click-bait aspect and over-panic that some might indulge in, it’s a fair question when it’s obvious that something is lacking. A win or two will serve to pacify some of the negativity. But the next blow-out loss to a good opponent or more close wins or losses to non-Blue Bloods will just quickly bring right back all the questions.

OK, so there’s trouble. The response right now? Stay the course. Be patient. See what happens. Fans kick back and chill and refrain from over-reacting. Things will get more clear in the next few weeks for these young men and the program in general.

Few in Husker Nation would have chosen someone other than Scott Frost to come to Lincoln. It must not have been easy for him to leave a good situation in Florida and come back into a hurricane on the Plains. But he did it. This is not easy on him or his family which, for a football coach, is always married to the team as well. He deserves a full and unencumbered opportunity to succeed or fail here on his own terms. As do the players as well.

We don’t go looking for trouble. Trouble just finds us. And trouble does not ever provide us the answers of how to get out of them. We feel our way out of the cave at our own pace and no sooner.

As the OL gets more experience, you won't have to write as much about how much trouble we're in.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

If I remember right, the last time a B1G team won a national title, that same team lost by 14 points in week 2 against a team that they "should have blown out".  All the same click bait articles were out about how much "trouble" they were in.  I have no idea how this team will finish but I find it comical that a portion of our fan base panics when things don't go according to script.  Chill out and let the man work people.   

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

We are in trouble.  No doubt in my mind.  Does that mean we can't fix it?  No

Offense scored 14 against USA-Martinez was baffled by delayed blitzes-

CU scored 34 in basically 11/2 quarters

We had to call a time out to START THE HALF

We can't establish any type of inside running game

We have yet to show a way to negate the defense "fooling Martinez AND the OL

We have no ability to "grind it out" if we had to.......

This game will tell a lot for sure.  NIU is a quality opponent who would like nothing better than put another L in our column.

I am sure they have watched film of both USA and CU.  NU looks nothing like we did at the end of last year.  

If it takes NU 6 games to gel like last year, we are 6-6.  A lot of new faces on O and D.  And no kicker...

I'm really hoping to see Frost and Co adjust in game.  Something I haven't seen yet.

I want to see players on fire like their scholarship depends on it.

Coaches coaching like their jobs depend on it.

I want to see a killer mentality from the entire team.

IMHO, if this was year 2 of any coach not names Frost, we'd agree across the board we are in a bind.

Frost inherited a sh!t show.  It will take time.  He should get it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

I predict a first half blowout punctuated with a second half close game and complacency that comes back to bite the team. This team needs to show it can play 4 quarters and prove the stigma wrong.

I predict a close game in the first half with NIU probably leading.  Second half we play about the same and eke out a victory.  Better than a loss but not reassuring.

I don't expect significant improvement throughout the season like last year when the offense, defense and special teams were new with a true freshman QB.  A loss tomorrow is possible in which case 4-5 wins max.  We could be in trouble.