ESPN: Separating Fact From Fiction - Is Nebraska In Trouble?

Saunders

Trouble is...

We were.....are....a 4-8 team.   

Anything better this year is a miracle 

The national media built us up to knock us down.

We fools, lapped it up like....Kool aid....drunken fools.

It’s gonna take years to right the ship.

Not a year!

"Is Nebraska in trouble?"  Well, we got rid of the 10, 9, and 8 wins per season coaches.  Got a "real nice guy" named Riley who gave is 6 then 4.  Now "it's different," Husker nation says, because we have (trumpets, drum roll) SCOTT FROST, and he understands, he KNOWS (remember "Bo Knows?"). 

Anyway, the old friends in our area of the stadium, section 19 a few dozen rows up, are a great mix of rabid fans yelling at each play, analysts who freaking know the history of every damned starter on the team O and D, and some like me whose hopes have been gradually dashed and turned into what feels like an insight:  Nebraska's heydays are over, and were here at a time when college football was different than it is now.  We're not Ohio State or Michigan with huge population bases and (most importantly) with a magnet that draws proven head coaches with championship resumes.  No matter the money we can gather, Nebraska is not a desirable place for those elite ones.  So we do our best with the Callahans, Pelinis, Rileys... and ... well, I love Scott's history here, too and I hope he develops into one of those elite.  Nuff said.

1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

We really need to split with Wisconsin, Ohio State, Purdue, and Iowa. 

Watching Matt Campbell on Gameday just now reminds you a lot of Frost. Gotta trust the process and it will all work out. But that goes for the coaches, too. 

The right mentality would be that we need to win them all. Anything else, and you're setting yourself up for failure. I think Ohio State is beatable. I think it will be similar to 2011, and we'll claw our way to a victory. The other teams are also beatable. I think it is time for Memorial Stadium to be a place where it is difficult for opposing teams to beat us at home again.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

"Is Nebraska in trouble?"  Well, we got rid of the 10, 9, and 8 wins per season coaches.  Got a "real nice guy" named Riley who gave is 6 then 4.  Now "it's different," Husker nation says, because we have (trumpets, drum roll) SCOTT FROST, and he understands, he KNOWS (remember "Bo Knows?"). 

Anyway, the old friends in our area of the stadium, section 19 a few dozen rows up, are a great mix of rabid fans yelling at each play, analysts who freaking know the history of every damned starter on the team O and D, and some like me whose hopes have been gradually dashed and turned into what feels like an insight:  Nebraska's heydays are over, and were here at a time when college football was different than it is now.  We're not Ohio State or Michigan with huge population bases and (most importantly) with a magnet that draws proven head coaches with championship resumes.  No matter the money we can gather, Nebraska is not a desirable place for those elite ones.  So we do our best with the Callahans, Pelinis, Rileys... and ... well, I love Scott's history here, too and I hope he develops into one of those elite.  Nuff said.

That “magnet” is money. And Nebraska has plenty. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, CapoValley said:

That “magnet” is money. And Nebraska has plenty. 

Then where are the elite, proven coaches?    It's not about only money.  We don't have the "magnet" of an Alabama or a Michigan because Nebraska's style of championship football is long gone.   They won't come here to revive Nebraska football culture.. why would they? 

Hopefully Frost succeeds.