All access with Northern Illinois football

knapplc

Go behind the scenes with new coach Thomas Hammock

The scrappy Huskies have won four Mid-American Conference championships in the last eight years and played in 10 bowl games in the last 11 seasons. Their motto is “The hard way,” and their goals are printed on a poster in a lounge near Hammock’s office: “Earn a degree. Give back. Win the MAC.”

And that’s not all. This week they’re game-planning to make a national statement, to beat Nebraska on Saturday night and silence a stadium of 89,000-plus.

“We have a great opportunity,” Hammock says.

Two years ago — Sept. 16, 2017, to be precise — Frazier was in a suite at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Neb. As the remaining minutes melted into seconds, he heard a chant he could not believe: “N-I-U! N-I-U!”

The Huskies were closing in on a 21-17 victory over Nebraska, completing a stretch of four victories in five games against Big Ten competition.

Frazier’s feeling at that moment?

“Overwhelming,” he replies.

I swear by Christ and all that is holy, if we lose to these guys you can just burn this season down to the ground.

• Fire 1