Which saw is the correct saw?

Alright, so first thing first. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to being handy. I've managed to figure out a few things over time, but realistically it's not a strength. 

I just bought a house and I'm putting together closet organizers. The one my wife and I bought came with a shelf that we have to cut down to size. The original board is 48x14 (https://closetmaid.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/closetmaid-us/closetstorage/woodclosetorganizers/selectivestopshelf#mc_tab_1) I need to get it down to about 21x14. I unfortunately suck at fine motor skills, so I don't know if my hacksaw is going to work for the job. Does anyone have a good/cheap thought on how I could make this work?

Thanks. 

• Plus1 1

You can probably do it by hand with the hacksaw, but doing it cleanly in a straight line would be the real trick. Not sure what kind of wood it is, but you would have to be careful with splintering it and would probably want to sand the edges when you are done.

If you have access to a table saw or circular saw, that would do it faster and better. If nothing else, you can probably take it to Home Depot and have them cut it for you. They usually charge a very small amount per cut for lumber.

best-miter-saw.jpg

^^This is what I would use.  It's my favorite tool and I use it on nearly every wood project I've made for the past twelve years (mine's an older model than the one shown).  But I'm guessing you don't want to shell out $450 to get one of these bad boys.  

So here's what you can use instead from Lowe's for $8:  

885911576376.jpg

• Haha 2

Just by posting about this topic...you have already done more prep than I ever have for a handyman job!

Have you tried yelling it?  Have you tried yelling at it and then sort of yelling at your wife and asking her why you guys got this particular model?  Ohhhh, have you tried going silent and then when she asks you something you take a deep breath and give her a condescending answer?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1