Reparations, Racism & Building a better Society

Reparations  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You parents aren't American? If you are American from birth you have enjoyed advantages whether you want to acknowledge it or not. We can pay for education but your assertion of an individual paying for another individuals college is a troll job at best. Try looking at the bigger picture and stop taking this issue so personally.

No, my parents are not American by birth.  

I looked that the bigger picture and I just said that they should get money.  My grandma got reparations from the German government because of what the Nazi's did to her...I blame the Nazi's that did it to her...not their great grandparents. 

And it is not a troll job, you just don't like it because of what it really is...actually helping people...not just logging into to site and typing about it.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, my parents are not American by birth.  

I looked that the bigger picture and I just said that they should get money.  

And it is not a troll job, you just don't like it because of what it really is...actually helping people...not just logging into to site and typing about it.

I said at best. One person paying for anothers education is nice but does little to fix the actual problem. You don't know what I do when I'm not typing on this site so to assume I'm just talking is just that, an assumption. You have a funny way of saying they should get money. Cursing about how your ancestors aren't to blame, I'm not sure you do see the bigger picture. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I said at best. One person paying for anothers education is nice but does little to fix the actual problem. You don't know what I do when I'm not typing on this site so to assume I'm just talking is just that, an assumption. You have a funny way of saying they should get money. Cursing about how your ancestors aren't to blame, I'm not sure you do see the bigger picture. 

Funny how?  Like a clown?

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Funny how?  Like a clown?

Just read your edit. The nazis didn't pay your grandma, Germany did, as they should have and that is my point. Nazis would have never paid reperations to the Jewish people, but Germans knew that they needed to try and right the wrongs of their country.  Its not about who is to blame.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Just read your edit. The nazis didn't pay your grandma, Germany did, as they should have and that is my point. Nazis would have never paid reperations to the Jewish people, but Germans knew that they needed to try and right the wrongs of their country. 

I am not Jewish, neither was my grandmother.

Didn't you just say something about assumptions?

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I am not Jewish, neither was my grandmother.

Didn't you just say something about assumptions?

Sorry about that but the point still stands. Nazis wouldn't have paid your grandma reparations. Luckily the German people took responsibility for the Nazis that wronged your grandmother.

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Sorry about that but the point still stands. Nazis wouldn't have paid your grandma reparations. Luckily the German people took responsibility for the Nazis that wronged your grandmother.

Like I said...I am all for paying them. 

But not all of our ancestors are the ones that were a$$h@!es.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Like I said...I am all for paying them. 

But not all of our ancestors are the ones that were a$$h@!es.

Thats fair you don't have to feel guilty for your direct ancestors, but no one is asking you to. Ultimately the fact that oppression exists benefits white people of all ancestral backround. Some more than others, but it is an uneven playing field today, and it has only been more in favor of white people the further you go back in history. I think its important we frame the reperations issue in this way rather than focusing specifically on who oppressed who. Lets just work on helping the oppressed. I'm not saying this at you really, just my thoughts in general.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Thats fair you don't have to feel guilty for your direct ancestors, but no one is asking you to. Ultimately the fact that oppression exists benefits white people of all ancestral backround. Some more than others, but it is an uneven playing field today, and it has only been more in favor of white people the further you go back in history. I think its important we frame the reperations issue in this way rather than focusing specifically on who oppressed who. Lets just work on helping the oppressed. I'm not saying this at you really, just my thoughts in general.

This is a good post!

• Thanks 1

I've been reading this thru the weekend but haven't been in front of a keyboard. Damn you @TGHusker for posting this late on a Friday afternoon! The questions in the OP are tough, but important, with no easy answers. 

A major barrier to coming to a good solution here is the resistance of so many Americans to acknowledge the ugliness within our country's history, i.e. how awful non-whites have been treated in this country. There are so many interwoven concepts in our history that include some component of racism, ethnocentrism, and exploitation: 

- how our country was founded and settled,

- how our economy flourished,

- westward expansion and Manifest Destiny,

- the criminalization of certain drugs versus others,

- the wars and foreign conflicts the U.S. has gotten involved in versus the one we have ignored, 

- the painfully slow evolution of civil rights,

- how we choose to remember and honor certain historical events

This country is wonderful, but we have a lot of baggage and have never actually realized promise of the Declaration of Independence or embraced some of the things we pretend to idealize. 

Not only is it difficult for so many Americans to acknowledge the warts of our past, and the continuing impact it has on others, but we have also come to learn over the past 4 years how much outright racism still exists in this country. A subject like Reparations is a non-starter (in terms of actual action) until those issues are confronted. But of course the conversation is part of that process.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Landlord said:

Okay so if we do reparations, do all black people get money? Or do only some of them? And what about people who aren't white or black?

I think African Americans and Native Americans are most deserving of reperations. Other minorities proabably have claim to some compensation as well. I don't know how it would work all I know is something should be done.

18 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I agree with this. I'd add a few more things like undoing the generational damage done during the Great Recession through home repossession, leveling the healthcare playing field (I prefer M4A), and desegregating our home buying/neighborhoods. One of the biggest continuing ways we continue to uphold racial injustice is how we allocate money to schools based on property taxes, which creates unequal schools and districts because of the disparity in who can afford the houses.

good points.  While red-lining is unethical, immoral and I believe illegal now, it was practiced by much in the mortgage industry -which kept poor neighborhoods poor. Property tax funding of schools likewise has the same affect.  Poor schools remain poor and rich schools are building huge football stadiums. Some colleges would love to have the football facilities of some of the schools in South Tulsa and suburbia Tulsa.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I've been reading this thru the weekend but haven't been in front of a keyboard. Damn you @TGHusker for posting this late on a Friday afternoon! The questions in the OP are tough, but important, with no easy answers. 

A major barrier to coming to a good solution here is the resistance of so many Americans to acknowledge the ugliness within our country's history, i.e. how awful non-whites have been treated in this country. There are so many interwoven concepts in our history that include some component of racism, ethnocentrism, and exploitation: 

- how our country was founded and settled,

- how our economy flourished,

- westward expansion and Manifest Destiny,

- the criminalization of certain drugs versus others,

- the wars and foreign conflicts the U.S. has gotten involved in versus the one we have ignored, 

- the painfully slow evolution of civil rights,

- how we choose to remember and honor certain historical events

This country is wonderful, but we have a lot of baggage and have never actually realized promise of the Declaration of Independence or embraced some of the things we pretend to idealize. 

Not only is it difficult for so many Americans to acknowledge the warts of our past, and the continuing impact it has on others, but we have also come to learn over the past 4 years how much outright racism still exists in this country. A subject like Reparations is a non-starter (in terms of actual action) until those issues are confronted. But of course the conversation is part of that process.

Hey, I gave you time to think about it  - so you can answer intelligently today!!  Just think what your knee jerk reaction would have been:o

• Plus1 1