Reparations, Racism & Building a better Society

Reparations  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Slavery was not unique to the United States. As unethical as it was, it was a worldwide issue. Reparations are grabs for political gains by politicians, and a money grab by citizens looking for a payday. There is no justice to found for slavery. All involved are long gone. 

Well.....not exactly. I mean, yeah, slavery took place all over the world, including Africans enslaving neighboring tribes, a fact that often gets pulled up to distract from the current issue. So while reparations may not be the answer, there is still justice to be found for slavery,  and all involved are not gone. Systemic discrimination in wealth, property, equity, and broken family units continue in the Black community in a way they don't in other minorities without slave histories, and the people who will happily continue that marginalization have risen to the highest seats of power in America, including national news media that clutch their pearls about last summer's black lives matter protests while downplaying January's white supremacist coup attempt and, wait for it.....blaming it on leftwing instigators.  

I'm against Reparations because they allow too many people to claim Black people are demanding too much. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

good for you. But I’m sticking with the people who’ve painstakingly researched the problem.

Would you care to share that painstaking research that shows slavery caused broken family units in the 1900’s to current day so the rest of us can learn from it?

• Plus1 2

21 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well.....not exactly. I mean, yeah, slavery took place all over the world, including Africans enslaving neighboring tribes, a fact that often gets pulled up to distract from the current issue. So while reparations may not be the answer, there is still justice to be found for slavery,  and all involved are not gone. Systemic discrimination in wealth, property, equity, and broken family units continue in the Black community in a way they don't in other minorities without slave histories, and the people who will happily continue that marginalization have risen to the highest seats of power in America, including national news media that clutch their pearls about last summer's black lives matter protests while downplaying January's white supremacist coup attempt and, wait for it.....blaming it on leftwing instigators.  

Pretty much all that needs to be said on the matter. Well done. 

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Would you care to share that painstaking research that shows slavery caused broken family units in the 1900’s to current day so the rest of us can learn from it?

Will do.

Meanwhile, I'd like to hear your explanation for why Black families have a considerably higher rate of broken homes than Whites, Asians, or Hispanics. 

Be careful.

• Plus1 1

Hey it just occurred to me: does it make a difference if we can trace current injustice back to slavery, or is the fact that there's current injustice damning enough?

Anyway, it turns out the slavery link is not an uncommon theory, one of many factors to be considered.

Here's one of the more clear-headed and academic, Archy.

Dig in!

https://cepr.org/sites/default/files/sugar_16_04_2019.pdf

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Will do.

Meanwhile, I'd like to hear your explanation for why Black families have a considerably higher rate of broken homes than Whites, Asians, or Hispanics. 

Be careful.

The Biggest breakdowns began with the advent of the Great Society Welfare Programs.  African Americans had larger % of intact families while have also having larger poverty rates prior to the 1960’s.   Poverty rates have steadily declined while single parent households have steadily increased.  Same increase has happened to the white community only at a faster rate.  

Poverty plays a large role in creating/keeping single family households but it can’t explain the Black family breakdown rate.  

• Plus1 2

The single parent family issues in the black population compared to other ethnic groups is an extremely complex issue that can't be sewn up by blaming one or two things.

Just off the top of my head I can think of:

War on drugs

increased incarceration rate of blacks to other groups

Slavery

Poverty

I see the last two as being far down the list compared to the top two.

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The single parent family issues in the black population compared to other ethnic groups is an extremely complex issue that can't be sewn up by blaming one or two things.

Just off the top of my head I can think of:

War on drugs

increased incarceration rate of blacks to other groups

Slavery

Poverty

I see the last two as being far down the list compared to the top two.

Where does personal accountability fall on this list? 

• Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Where does personal accountability fall on this list? 

It's a big part of it.  Unfortunately, some people don't have good roll models that teaches them that.  So, the cycle just keeps going on and on with no way to break it.  If a kid grows up and almost all families are single parent (mom) in their communities, they grow up thinking that's just the way you are supposed to go through life. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's a big part of it.  Unfortunately, some people don't have good roll models that teaches them that.  So, the cycle just keeps going on and on with no way to break it.  If a kid grows up and almost all families are single parent (mom) in their communities, they grow up thinking that's just the way you are supposed to go through life. 

Yep. We agree on this 100% (except for the part about there being no way to break it). It's a vicious cycle in a lot of poor communities, not just black.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1