Reparations, Racism & Building a better Society

Reparations  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Would you care to share that painstaking research that shows slavery caused broken family units in the 1900’s to current day so the rest of us can learn from it?

There's a good book on this topic called White Rage by Carol Anderson that I recommend reading if you're interested in some history and perspective on the topic.

To be brief, "slavery" itself i.e. the act of enslaving another human being is not necessarily the 1:1 cause of broken family units. It's the fallout, politics and policies resulting from slavery and the discrimination of Black Americans that have been a huge issue. For example, when former slaves and their families migrated out of the south and to places like Detroit in the late 18th century and early 19th century, they weren't given opportunities to live and work in the same places as white people. Most of them were shunted into low-income housing areas and they were not afforded equal opportunities to jobs, wages, schooling, etc. It should come as no surprise that these low-income neighborhoods became rife with poverty, violence and crime. And they were magnets for drugs. To this day, many of those same Detroit neighborhoods that Black people migrated to all those years ago are still a) predominantly black and b) rife with crime and poverty.

Another inversely sad story worth looking into is that of Dr. Ossian Sweet.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Enhance said:

There's a good book on this topic called White Rage by Carol Anderson that I recommend reading if you're interested in some history and perspective on the topic.

To be brief, "slavery" itself i.e. the act of enslaving another human being is not necessarily the 1:1 cause of broken family units. It's the fallout, politics and policies resulting from slavery and the discrimination of Black Americans that have been a huge issue. For example, when former slaves and their families migrated out of the south and to places like Detroit in the late 18th century and early 19th century, they weren't given opportunities to live and work in the same places as white people. Most of them were shunted into low-income housing areas and they were not afforded equal opportunities to jobs, wages, schooling, etc. It should come as no surprise that these low-income neighborhoods became rife with poverty, violence and crime. And they were magnets for drugs. To this day, many of those same Detroit neighborhoods that Black people migrated to all those years ago are still a) predominantly black and b) rife with crime and poverty.

Another inversely sad story worth looking into is that of Dr. Ossian Sweet.

Institutionalized poverty.    And then when a Black community becomes successful as they did with the Black Wall Street in Tulsa, it gets burnt down in the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921 - 100 years ago.   Tulsa only in the past years has come to grips with this and even today, north Tulsa is the place of greatest poverty due primarily by what happened 100 years ago.   

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The Biggest breakdowns began with the advent of the Great Society Welfare Programs.  African Americans had larger % of intact families while have also having larger poverty rates prior to the 1960’s.   Poverty rates have steadily declined while single parent households have steadily increased.  Same increase has happened to the white community only at a faster rate.  

Poverty plays a large role in creating/keeping single family households but it can’t explain the Black family breakdown rate.  

Man, if there were only some connection to keeping a race in a constant state of poverty, and a cultural history of families being torn apart. 

• Plus1 4

10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Institutionalized poverty.    And then when a Black community becomes successful as they did with the Black Wall Street in Tulsa, it gets burnt down in the Tulsa Race Massacre of 1921 - 100 years ago.   Tulsa only in the past years has come to grips with this and even today, north Tulsa is the place of greatest poverty due primarily by what happened 100 years ago.   

Precisely. And I think we can find examples of it in a lot of major cities.

Take Omaha. A lot of Black families that migrated into the city were largely only able to find housing and affordable housing opportunities in what is now North Omaha. A huge portion of that community also worked at the meatpacking plants. The area was already experiencing crime issues prior to the meatpacking closures (because of income levels and a lack of equitable opportunities), but those eventual closures sent huge portions of that community into a poverty and crime spiral. To this day, North Omaha is still a) predominantly black and b) poverty/crime ridden.

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

No. I think that some cultures are better at personal accountability than others. 

And every time anyone talks about Black people facing any kind of adverse circumstances at all you talk about Black culture so why are acting like you think the 2 are different?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

And every time anyone talks about Black people facing any kind of adverse circumstances at all you talk about Black culture so why are acting like you think the 2 are different?

Because they are different. Better  personal decisions would undoubtedly help the situation for those engulfed in a bad culture. Whether that's blacks in the inner cities, or whites in poverty stricken Appalachia. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Man, if there were only some connection to keeping a race in a constant state of poverty, and a cultural history of families being torn apart. 

What race has stayed in a constant state of poverty?  Your sound bites play well to the aggrieved audience and those limousine liberals but they are not rooted in reality, which you probably know too.   

would you like to see the poverty rates by race since the 50’s?  

Would you also like to see the rates of single parent households by race since the 50’s.?

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

What race has stayed in a constant state of poverty?  Your sound bites play well to the aggrieved audience and those limousine liberals but they are not rooted in reality, which you probably know too.   

would you like to see the poverty rates by race since the 50’s?  

Would you also like to see the rates of single parent households by race since the 50’s.?

Hey, I used to be like you.  I considered 150 year old grievances to be unrealistic and opportunistic. I wasn't about to take the blame for something my ancestors did, and they weren't even MY ancestors. I believed it still came down to personal choices and personal accountability, and if you looked around modern America, you'd find every opportunity you needed to move up and create your own future, regardless of race or gender.

But as I got older I realized how much I had wrong. I had avoided a lot of inconvenient truths because they made me uncomfortable. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2020/09/poverty-rates-for-blacks-and-hispanics-reached-historic-lows-in-2019.html

"The historically low poverty rates for Blacks and Hispanics in 2019 reflect gains for race and Hispanic origin groups that have traditionally been disadvantaged compared to other groups over time.

However, even with these gains, Blacks and Hispanics continue to be over-represented in the population in poverty relative to their representation in the overall population.

The figure below shows the ratio of people in poverty by race or Hispanic origin group to each group’s share of the total population. 

If the poverty population is perfectly proportional to the total population, we would expect the ratio to be 1.0. If a group is over-represented in poverty, the ratio will be greater than 1.0. If the ratio is less than 1.0, the group is under-represented in poverty."

1600178929575.jpg

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No time to read? Start by telling me how this angry Black woman is wrong:

She sure is angry, and yes her anger is quite misplaced. 

The looters segment was just asinine.  

“The black community” as she states it didn’t build a damn thing for anyone in my family, my parents family or my grandparents family like she claims so she wrong about that.  

No one in my family had a 400 year head start in building wealth.  I didn’t inherent a penny when my dad died and won’t when my mom passes.  Great grandparents were dirt poor iowa farmers with my dad as first to go to college. So she wrong about that too.  

Tulsa and Rosewood are a damn shame, should never happen again, were before my parents  time, should be a reminder of what happened in those areas past but shouldn’t be a crutch as to why someone can’t be successful today.  Bank flat out stole my parents successful furniture business in the ‘80’s during the oil and farm crash causing them hundreds of thousands of debt and me to grow up poor.  That didn’t cause me or my siblings to say “f#&% it” and give up on trying to do better.  

Minority poverty rates have been dropping like a rock ever since the 60’s.  It’s a shame she stays in the grievance lane instead of focusing her energy on moving forward 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1