Reparations, Racism & Building a better Society

Reparations  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Blacks have lower drug use overall than Whites

https://www.drugpolicyfacts.org/chapter/prevalence

21. Prevalence of Drug Use in the US by Race/Ethnicity

" In 2013, among persons aged 12 or older, the rate of current illicit drug use was 3.1 percent among Asians, 8.8 percent among Hispanics, 9.5 percent among whites, 10.5 percent among blacks, 12.3 percent among American Indians or Alaska Natives, 14.0 percent among Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders, and 17.4 percent among persons reporting two or more races.

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.drugpolicyfacts.org/chapter/prevalence

21. Prevalence of Drug Use in the US by Race/Ethnicity

" In 2013, among persons aged 12 or older, the rate of current illicit drug use was 3.1 percent among Asians, 8.8 percent among Hispanics, 9.5 percent among whites, 10.5 percent among blacks, 12.3 percent among American Indians or Alaska Natives, 14.0 percent among Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders, and 17.4 percent among persons reporting two or more races.

2013 is ancient data when you consider the opioid epidemic and when it became an epidemic, and opioids have higher usage rates among Whites than Blacks. The #s you're posting are no longer accurate. They also are likely not statistically significantly different, but I bet they are now. The arrest rates were significantly higher for Blacks, though. I've posted it here before, but I believe the marijuana possession arrest rate for Blacks is 4x as high for Blacks than White while the usage rate for marijuana is similar.

Interestingly enough, part of the reason Blacks have had lower use/death from opioids is they are less likely to get drugs prescribed to them by doctors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/25/upshot/opioid-epidemic-blacks.html

17 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Talking about individual accountability when it comes to this stuff is off topic as far as I’m concerned because there is data point after data point showing that Blacks, even with the same characteristics, income, criminal background, etc. are more likely to face negative circumstances. It isn’t even hard or complicated to find this information or to gather the data. Just look up what happens when mystery shopping is used if you want an example. If you’re Black it’s harder to get a loan even with the same income and credit score.

A Black colleague of  mine was wearing a sports coat, carrying a briefcase on his way to a business meeting in Los Angeles, when he was confronted by police at gunpoint and ordered to lie facedown on the sidewalk. He complied, although he kept getting plenty of verbal abuse while bystanders watched. Turns out there had been a burglary in the general area involving a Black man. My friend was shaken but not surprised. Something similar had happened to almost every Black friend he knew.

It's happened to zero white guys I know. 

I tend to avoid strictly anecdotal evidence, but c'mon man.....

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

A Black colleague of  mine was wearing a sports coat, carrying a briefcase on his way to a business meeting in Los Angeles, when he was confronted by police at gunpoint and ordered to lie facedown on the sidewalk. He complied, although he kept getting plenty of verbal abuse while bystanders watched. Turns out there had been a burglary in the general area involving a Black man. My friend was shaken but not surprised. Something similar had happened to almost every Black friend he knew.

Yep. This stuff isn’t too complicated unless you pull the wool over your eyes because you don’t want to see it. 

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sad story.  I talked to a couple of my black friends at work when the George Floyd murder occurred and they both said that their parents told them how they needed to react if ever confronted by the police as some day the above story could very likely happen to them.  I don't know of a single case where white parents have told their kids how to react if in a car or else where if they were stopped by the police without cause.   The good old boy racist would say 'Well they all Look the Same" and justify the police action.  But we all know that - no they don't all look the same in the same way all whites don't look the same.  And we also know that there is a  undercurrent of racism in our society still that makes certain people guilty before they are pronounced innocent.   I heard someone on NPR talk about "the unfinished reconstruction' era.  Pres Grant tried to rectify the damage of slavery but Congressional politics brought an end to his efforts.  The civil rights amendments (14 & 15) were not enough to correct the ills of slavery.    100 years of racism and a whole class of citizens needing to 'look over their shoulder' followed the civil war.  The Eisenhower era and the1964 civil rights acts were finally steps  in the right direction - but too much remains to be done. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

Georgia Republicans know what they're doing.  But no, no racism intended.  What the hell is wrong with weekend voting?  Better yet, make any election day a holiday.

Is weekday voting only allowed for white, Asian, Indian, and Hispanic voters?  

• Plus1 1

Voting should day should be a national holiday or a 3 day weekend event - Friday- Sun to give the most accessibility to all people regardless of race or political party.  If that hurts one political party than that party has moved to the wrong side of history after starting out on the correct side wt Lincoln.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Is weekday voting only allowed for white, Asian, Indian, and Hispanic voters?  

Is weekend voting only allowed for African Americans?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  Well actually, I am.  I just don't see why we can't find ways to include more people in the process.  I mean, even Trump continues to brag about the millions of new voters that cast a ballot for him.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

That.  So no real answer as to why voting on weekends is problematic?  

Still trying to figure out what I am supposed to be careful about?  

I don’t have a problem with weekend voting.  I also already shown support for a Election Day holiday.

My question is how does the elimination of weekend voting become racist against the Black population but not any other group of people?  Doesn’t everyone have an equal opportunity to early vote on weekdays or weekends?  

I understand the souls to the pols thing.  But is after church the only time in a 30-45 day window that someone can vote for African Americans?  A large portion of Hispanics are faith based too.  Muslims?  Christians?  Jews? These other groups seem to find ways to vote outside of after Church on weekends. Everyone is playing by the same sets of rules.  Just make sure everyone knows what the are ahead of time.  

• Plus1 2
46 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Is weekend voting only allowed for African Americans?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.  Well actually, I am.  I just don't see why we can't find ways to include more people in the process.  I mean, even Trump continues to brag about the millions of new voters that cast a ballot for him.  

1). Not to my knowledge.  If so, that would illegal.  

2). I’m not against weekend voting, I’m fine with it as I am fine with a voting holiday.   I am against people thinking the deck is stacked against certain groups when everyone has to follow the same set of rules that are not cumbersome in today’s day and age.  Unlike the unreasonable laws in the many years past.  Now you understand the point I am making 

• Plus1 2