The run game

Dansker

Through 2 weeks, we have yet to eclipse the 200 yard mark rushing the football. Yes, I am a "run the football guy" and it concerns me that we are not an effective running team. Our stats through two games are as follows:

vs. South Alabama - 44 rushes for 98 yards and 2.2 yards per carry

vs. Colorado - 46 rushes for 179 yards and 3.9 yards per carry

We seemed to do a little bit better from Week 1 to Week 2 but still left much to be desired. Is tonight the night we finally get over 200 yards and maybe a 4.5-5.0 ypc? Can Mills step it up and increase his production? More importantly, does the offensive line finally figure it out?

I think if Nebraska struggles tonight to run effectively, it could mean more struggling ahead. Northern Illinois isn't a pushover by any means, but at some point, I'd like to see Nebraska put more emphasis on being more physical and overpowering the opposing defensive line and get to the next level onto the linebackers. Can this team do it tonight against Northern Illinois and finally rise to the occasion?

EDIT - FWIW, we are 110th nationally in yards per carry at 3.1

18 minutes ago, FTW said:

Through 2 weeks, we have yet to eclipse the 200 yard mark rushing the football. Yes, I am a "run the football guy" and it concerns me that we are not an effective running team. Our stats through two games are as follows:

vs. South Alabama - 44 rushes for 98 yards and 2.2 yards per carry

vs. Colorado - 46 rushes for 179 yards and 3.9 yards per carry

We seemed to do a little bit better from Week 1 to Week 2 but still left much to be desired. Is tonight the night we finally get over 200 yards and maybe a 4.5-5.0 ypc? Can Mills step it up and increase his production? More importantly, does the offensive line finally figure it out?

I think if Nebraska struggles tonight to run effectively, it could mean more struggling ahead. Northern Illinois isn't a pushover by any means, but at some point, I'd like to see Nebraska put more emphasis on being more physical and overpowering the opposing defensive line and get to the next level onto the linebackers. Can this team do it tonight against Northern Illinois and finally rise to the occasion?

EDIT - FWIW, we are 110th nationally in yards per carry at 3.1

I too am "run the ball guy".  After two games and we are 110th nationally, that's beyond horrible.  And unacceptable IMHO. Was Frost really left that bad a situation? ( have repeatedly said he was left a sh!t show, but not 110th  bad)  Is the OL that bad?  If we are not capable of running the ball we can't bring force the D to bring safeties down to help our passing game. Through 2 games, DC's have shown how to stop this O.  Forcing the D to counter a stout run D opens up the passing game.  Right now we do not have a passing attack that is capable of setting up the run IMO.  

Today's game will be a great test and see if Frost has something to counter D's or if we are in for a long year.

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

I too am "run the ball guy".  After two games and we are 110th nationally, that's beyond horrible.  And unacceptable IMHO. Was Frost really left that bad a situation? ( have repeatedly said he was left a sh!t show, but not 110th  bad)  Is the OL that bad?  If we are not capable of running the ball we can't bring force the D to bring safeties down to help our passing game. Through 2 games, DC's have shown how to stop this O.  Forcing the D to counter a stout run D opens up the passing game.  Right now we do not have a passing attack that is capable of setting up the run IMO.  

Today's game will be a great test and see if Frost has something to counter D's or if we are in for a long year.

I think the problem was he left zero offensive line depth. After graduating three seniors last year that Bo recruited there is basically no depth. Jaimes and Farniok are decent, but the middle of our line is young and inexperienced and it's a recipe for run game struggles. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 5

51 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Hopefully the captain on the line plays far better than he has early.  Expected the guard-center-guard combo to struggle for a while as Wilson had the only experience at like four/five games out of the three.  Get those guys playing confidently and you’ll see Mills start to look like the hype

He started 9 games last year.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, lo country said:

Read an article that said our O currently sits at 88th in the nation.  We do not appear to have a prolific offense yet.....I am hoping something clicks.  Sooner than later.

Perhaps when we start going up against B1G defenses!

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, lo country said:

I don't know. The NIU run defense isn't Alabama good but I hope there's a little more creativity involved tonight because inside zones and trap runs are just not working. And those outside runs are predictable. At some point they've got to be able to line up and establish some dominance up front. It kills me to see teams like Wisconsin run the ball down teams throats today and in years past.

• Plus1 1