The run game

Dansker

46 minutes ago, lo country said:

Read an article that said our O currently sits at 88th in the nation.  We do not appear to have a prolific offense yet.....I am hoping something clicks.  Sooner than later.

Last year it clicked but like you said, these guys need to get their chemistry going now heading into conference play. If they come away with an unimpressive win or by God, a defeat AT HOME, there's going to either be some serious apathy or panic with the direction of this program and some questions regarding staff members.

IMO, the only thing SF has going for him right now is that he is a homeboy and he's got the support of higher ups and a majority of the fan base because "he gets it." I'm the kind of fan that believes a coach needs a minimum of 4 years to get everything together with recruiting, S&C, player development. But all the hype this off season and people saying that the run game is making plays in practice, it's time to see it happen in a game, FFS!

5 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I think the problem was he left zero offensive line depth. After graduating three seniors last year that Bo recruited there is basically no depth. Jaimes and Farniok are decent, but the middle of our line is young and inexperienced and it's a recipe for run game struggles. 

The guys were getting in under this coaching staff will be great. Their size difference is crazy. Bryce Benhart is a monster. I was shocked standing on the sideline. Pads look little on that guy. 

• Plus1 1

We will probably see some Wandale at RB some today. I also want them to let Rahmir Johnson and Miles Jones give it a go. RJ is fast and can maybe give the O a spark. Rahmir and Miles Jones have the speed to at least give each of them a few carries and see if one of them can possibly break one. 

This game we need to spread the ball around and get in a rhythm. It is crucial to do this now because conference play is right around the corner. 

29 minutes ago, FTW said:

Last year it clicked but like you said, these guys need to get their chemistry going now heading into conference play. If they come away with an unimpressive win or by God, a defeat AT HOME, there's going to either be some serious apathy or panic with the direction of this program and some questions regarding staff members.

IMO, the only thing SF has going for him right now is that he is a homeboy and he's got the support of higher ups and a majority of the fan base because "he gets it." I'm the kind of fan that believes a coach needs a minimum of 4 years to get everything together with recruiting, S&C, player development. But all the hype this off season and people saying that the run game is making plays in practice, it's time to see it happen in a game, FFS!

That UCF O and D looking very good today against Stanford.  I think that we continue in this trajectory, got to look at the staff....Like you said, Frost is getting a pass because he is a Nebraska homeboy.  Anyone else comes in with this year two record (5-9) with the mistakes we have made would be eaten alive........

It's a double edge sword with time.  I look at so many programs in year 2 that have made a jump or are winning and are putting a positive product on the field.  If our S&C was as horrific as advertised, it will take years to get the depth on par with other programs.  Frost system is perhaps the most radical departure from the previous style of players since Cally came in for Solich. It's still continues the (really getting old) of square peg meet round hole with the guys on the roster vs the scheme we are playing.  Watching OSU vs Indiana today and even Indy has 2 starting WR's that are 6'3 and 6'4 and go almost 220.....We have no one on the roster like that.  No running game (I know the OL issues, but damn 113th?).

I'm concerned that Frost is so married to the speed part of his scheme, that he is really looking over the power part.....Can he adapt ie grind is ok?  Bring in a 2 back set?  Use one of our vaunted TE's as a HB.  Better yet, friggin use the TE's we heard so much about.....

31 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

We will probably see some Wandale at RB some today. I also want them to let Rahmir Johnson and Miles Jones give it a go. RJ is fast and can maybe give the O a spark. Rahmir and Miles Jones have the speed to at least give each of them a few carries and see if one of them can possibly break one. 

This game we need to spread the ball around and get in a rhythm. It is crucial to do this now because conference play is right around the corner. 

32 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

The guys were getting in under this coaching staff will be great. Their size difference is crazy. Bryce Benhart is a monster. I was shocked standing on the sideline. Pads look little on that guy. 

If these guys are the future, get them playing time now.  Because next year will be the same tired crap if things go south..."X" number of new starters at "X", need time to build chemistry etc......

The future is now.  Can those guys do less than what we are currently seeing?  Maybe Benhart coming in lights a fire under someones a$$.  Same with Rahmir and Miles.  

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

That UCF O and D looking very good today against Stanford.  I think that we continue in this trajectory, got to look at the staff....Like you said, Frost is getting a pass because he is a Nebraska homeboy.  Anyone else comes in with this year two record (5-9) with the mistakes we have made would be eaten alive........

It's a double edge sword with time.  I look at so many programs in year 2 that have made a jump or are winning and are putting a positive product on the field.  If our S&C was as horrific as advertised, it will take years to get the depth on par with other programs.  Frost system is perhaps the most radical departure from the previous style of players since Cally came in for Solich. It's still continues the (really getting old) of square peg meet round hole with the guys on the roster vs the scheme we are playing.  Watching OSU vs Indiana today and even Indy has 2 starting WR's that are 6'3 and 6'4 and go almost 220.....We have no one on the roster like that.  No running game (I know the OL issues, but damn 113th?).

I'm concerned that Frost is so married to the speed part of his scheme, that he is really looking over the power part.....Can he adapt ie grind is ok?  Bring in a 2 back set?  Use one of our vaunted TE's as a HB.  Better yet, friggin use the TE's we heard so much about.....

Who do you think recruited a lot of those kids now playing at UCF? Who recruited those kids on offense at Oregon? 

There is a major cultural issue and it didn’t come from this staff. Frost isn’t getting a pass from most of us because he is a home boy; it’s that most of us saw what the hell happened for the 3 years before he got here. Riley destroyed this team. It’s going to take time to recover from that.

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

If these guys are the future, get them playing time now.  Because next year will be the same tired crap if things go south..."X" number of new starters at "X", need time to build chemistry etc......

The future is now.  Can those guys do less than what we are currently seeing?  Maybe Benhart coming in lights a fire under someones a$$.  Same with Rahmir and Miles.  

I agree. They’re already making mistakes, so they should have a fire under their a$$. 

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Yea we need multiple guys getting carries. That way our RBs will be fresh in late October and November. I bet you will see one of those two(Jones, Johnson) get a couple carries today. Right now, we need production and sometimes throwing guys out and seeing what they can do could possibly allow a player to show he is ready to play. 

I am also interested to see what other receivers we get the ball to. Players need to start stepping up and going out there and making plays instead of worrying about playing time. 

There's definitely an underrated element of the "our offensive line sucks" narrative, though - Washington likes to try to break it outside (which is great), and Mills hasn't been cutting hard into running lanes. 

Our backs need to cut hard into the holes and run hard through traffic. I don't think we've seen a bunch of plays where we're getting stuff for losses on handoffs. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

Who do you think recruited a lot of those kids now playing at UCF? Who recruited those kids on offense at Oregon? 

There is a major cultural issue and it didn’t come from this staff. Frost isn’t getting a pass from most of us because he is a home boy; it’s that most of us saw what the hell happened for the 3 years before he got here. Riley destroyed this team. It’s going to take time to recover from that.

I agree. They’re already making mistakes, so they should have a fire under their a$$. 

I know Frost recruited a lot of those kids (but not their Fresh QB:D).  And he did what he did in 2 years there.  I was hoping to see some of that this year.  I figured 8-4, maybe 9-3 tops this year.  Didn't foresee the loss to CU or a struggle against USA.

I do think Frost being the chosen one helps. I do think the sh!t he inherited helps give him time.  And he deserves it.  But I think he and the team need to show some type of positive steps.  The D, 2 games in has impressed.  I'll throw out the last 11/2 Q against CU as completely worn out.  The O, oddly Frost's forte sux right now.

Honestly, I see NU on more of a Clemson type trajectory than Bama or OU....Took Dabo a season or 2 to get them continually in the 9+ win category and then 7 years for the MNC (I'm not counting him as HC in 2008).  I don't think any fan would be upset with that.  I wouldn't be upset if he could get us to Clemson level of consistency without the MNC.  

Saw some roster movement on the 2 deep.  Hope to see more next week if tonight is the same old stuff.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I'll preface that I did and still like the Frost hire.  If we can't figure out our O, I think we will have another season like last year....

Hope to see some in game adjustments by Frost.  

I'll second that.

I believe that all will be fine as long as we make a bowl game this season.

50 minutes ago, lo country said:

I know Frost recruited a lot of those kids (but not their Fresh QB:D).  And he did what he did in 2 years there.  I was hoping to see some of that this year.  I figured 8-4, maybe 9-3 tops this year.  Didn't foresee the loss to CU or a struggle against USA.

I do think Frost being the chosen one helps. I do think the sh!t he inherited helps give him time.  And he deserves it.  But I think he and the team need to show some type of positive steps.  The D, 2 games in has impressed.  I'll throw out the last 11/2 Q against CU as completely worn out.  The O, oddly Frost's forte sux right now.

Honestly, I see NU on more of a Clemson type trajectory than Bama or OU....Took Dabo a season or 2 to get them continually in the 9+ win category and then 7 years for the MNC (I'm not counting him as HC in 2008).  I don't think any fan would be upset with that.  I wouldn't be upset if he could get us to Clemson level of consistency without the MNC.  

Saw some roster movement on the 2 deep.  Hope to see more next week if tonight is the same old stuff.

I don't agree that our offense sucked against CU. In the third quarter ya they did, but the other three were good. Unfortunately that one quarter let CU back in and this team isn't good enough to overcome one bad quarter yet.

4 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Wasn’t Austin spouting that he is comfortable trotting 8-9 guys out on the line near the end of camp????

We’ve seen 6 and only cause Cam couldn’t snap worth a hoot in the opener

I know, it's weird. Hate to say it but if forced to guess, it's probably because the other guys aren't actually doing well in practice. But I get your point; they're just not being played.

You wonder where guys like Raridon are. I know Gaylord's out for the year, but jeez...

Unofficial stats 238 rushing yards with 7.2 ypc off of 33 attempts. Quite an improvement. Did see much better blocking down field for Mills, Washington, and Martinez to get to the 2nd level. I think 220+ yards a game on the ground is the magic number and ideal for Frost's type of offense. Martinez still seems a little indecisive on scrambles and makes the wrong reads sometimes. All in all much better job this time around!

• Plus1 1