What did we Learn? (The NIU Huskies Edition)

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

I don't know if it was just from being late in the game and they gave up, but Vedral looked outstanding. I want to see more of him in the game when it counts.

Martinez and Frost look like they could use a vacation....are the post-games stressful for them?

We commented a lot in the game thread that the o line may not be ready for prime time. When we can run in the middle it opens up everything. I don't see the sideways/ run around the end game scaring the big boys if they don't have to worry about the middle.

Minus the obvious fumble, Mills looked great...some confidence and a little luck with timing of blocks and he should do great as long as Frost doesn't telegraph every play with personnel. I think runners need to get in a groove and not be run in and out to where the calls are obvious.

Johnson looked good too, but like I said with Vedral, let's see him early in the game when the defense cares.

I'm sure Frost knows something about this style of running,...I'd like to see the QB under center and a fullback (TE?) in the backfield on short yardage situations.

I thought Frost looked tired in his post gamer presser, but isn't he an early bird?  Thought I remember him saying he's a morning person so 11 pm post game pressers may be in the middle of the night for him.  

I learned a significant portion of you guys are on crack or something. There is room for improvement for Martinez, but that was an excellent game. Was tentative running like twice and missed a few throws, that's it. Are we just ignoring those errors from last year? Or in other quarterbacks? Nobody goes 25-25 passing, and a few of his incompletions he at least gave the receivers a chance. Go rewatch the games last year and tell me this is significantly worse. It is possible to have a great game with a few bad plays. 

I'm not that concerned with the line as long as Jaimes is healthy. Being disruptive is NIU's thing, if you get yards on them it's the way we did - big plays offsetting some TFLs. Blame the coaches too if you want, apparently they were in a defense we didn't prepare for we were in 11 personnel, which is usually a lot of the time. This is as disruptive a defense we will play this year. We will play better ones, but we're improving and I think disruptive Ds are the ones with the most potential to shut down a Frost O. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

Minimizing turnovers and penalties goes a long way toward turning a close game into a blowout.  There were too many drives stopped last year because of them.  Some of Martinez's hesitancy while throwing could be due to an emphasis on eliminating interceptions this year.  Martinez doesn't seem to hesitate when he has a clear running lane. 

45 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Minimizing turnovers and penalties goes a long way toward turning a close game into a blowout.  There were too many drives stopped last year because of them.  Some of Martinez's hesitancy while throwing could be due to an emphasis on eliminating interceptions this year.  Martinez doesn't seem to hesitate when he has a clear running lane. 

Definitely thing this could play a big part. If he has a little voice in the back of his head saying don't turn it over that might make he hesitate just enough to cause the issues we've seen. Hope he can silence that and just play. 

24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm sorry but while Vedral looked fine, he did not come in on his one drive and look soooooo much better. Some peoples obsession with the back up QB is blinding. 

Amen!

Honestly, this has a lot to do with the old "Home town boy makes good" theory.  

There are many Husker fans that want all 22 starters to be from small towns in Nebraska.  Low ranked, diamond in the rough types.  Shoot, fans still look back at the teams in the 90's and romanticize that most of the players were from Nebraska or that most were walk-ons.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1