What did we Learn? (The NIU Huskies Edition)

What I learned, 

There is a channel called Fox Business News.

My in-laws have it.. 

Nebraska kept a team out of the end zone for the 1st time in years.  

I wasn't too upset for them giving up the safety, it could have been a lot worse.  I mean it's not something that cost them the game or anything. 

I have much more confidence in Nebraska's chances against OSU, after this game and a win against a tough NIU team. 

against Illinois, Nebraska has more time to practice, and get better and better. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cornhuskers4ever said:

Nebraska kept a team out of the end zone for the 1st time in years.  

It seems like a long time, but we did it five games ago when we held Michigan State to two field goals.

We almost did it twice last year, but Bethune-Cookman scored on the last play from scrimmage.

• Plus1 3

I just think Martinez needs to get more accurate on his passes. He had some throws way off or in the dirt. We could make up those basically loss of plays against NIU- but when its 2 and 10 against Ohio State that is a problem. I am not bagging on the kid- I am of the opinion he needs to clean that up. 

He also needs to see the field better. Open receivers and he throws over their head out of bounds to JD.

I get the criticism of Martinez. There are times when he doesn't appear to be the same quarterback as he was last year. Everyone in the stands around us were saying this Saturday night.

But then you have a drive like this, the last drive of the first half, and he's decisive, goes through his progressions (especially on the pass to Robinson) and throws strike after strike.

I think his issues are all in his head. He needs to stop thinking so much and just let it flow.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 2
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I get the criticism of Martinez. There are times when he doesn't appear to be the same quarterback as he was last year. Everyone in the stands around us were saying this Saturday night.

But then you have a drive like this, the last drive of the first half, and he's decisive, goes through his progressions (especially on the pass to Robinson) and throws strike after strike. 

Adrian made two grown-man throws on that drive: the second completion to Wandale, and the TD to Noa. Those two alone should both remind people of his potential, and give people hope that he gets back on the road to reaching it soon. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I just think Martinez needs to get more accurate on his passes. He had some throws way off or in the dirt. We could make up those basically loss of plays against NIU- but when its 2 and 10 against Ohio State that is a problem. I am not bagging on the kid- I am of the opinion he needs to clean that up. 

He also needs to see the field better. Open receivers and he throws over their head out of bounds to JD.

I think a lot of it too is the difference in play calling. On that drive Frosts calls are very aggressive and put a lot of pressure on the defense. It also appears that the reads for Martinez are simpler and allows him to be confident in what he sees. I think Coach Frost should have his foot on the pedal more often like he did in this drive

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

has anyone else considered that AM bulking up...to the tune of 20-25 pounds...has contributed to these inaccuracies? My buddy and I were talking about it at golf yesterday :dunno

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

has anyone else considered that AM bulking up...to the tune of 20-25 pounds...has contributed to these inaccuracies? My buddy and I were talking about it at golf yesterday :dunno

Yea I've had this conversation with a few people.  Think he may have lost a bit of his agility running the ball as well

• Plus1 1

I personally don't have a major issue with his passing right now.  He's around 60% completion percentage, 4 TDs and 2 INTs.  There is always room for improvement.  Sure, I wish he was more up around 70%....but....oh well.

I actually think everyone would be talking a different toon if he was running better.  This is where sometimes it baffles me and, I would have thought it would have been even better after he bulked up.  There are times when he takes off and it looks like the old 2AM.  Then, he'll have a run where it should look like it's easy to get by a guy and he acts indecisive as to where he wants to run and runs right into the tackle.  

BUT....the talks bout sitting him and playing Vedral is just plain idiotic.  It baffles my mind sometimes how the "back up QB" can get in some people's heads.

Now, I am encouraged by Vedral's ability in the case of 2AM getting hurt.  I don't think we are as thin at QB as what some people think.  But....Martinez is our starting QB and there's a reason for that.

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I have been wondering if the added mass has been a detriment to his run game. Posters keep saying that he appears indecisive in his runs out of the pocket, but maybe the added weight has decreased his lateral quickness. His straight line speed is still pretty good though.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I personally don't have a major issue with his passing right now.  He's around 60% completion percentage, 4 TDs and 2 INTs.  There is always room for improvement.  Sure, I wish he was more up around 70%....but....oh well.

I actually think everyone would be talking a different toon if he was running better.  This is where sometimes it baffles me and, I would have thought it would have been even better after he bulked up.  There are times when he takes off and it looks like the old 2AM.  Then, he'll have a run where it should look like it's easy to get by a guy and he acts indecisive as to where he wants to run and runs right into the tackle.  

BUT....the talks bout sitting him and playing Vedral is just plain idiotic.  It baffles my mind sometimes how the "back up QB" can get in some people's heads.

Now, I am encouraged by Vedral's ability in the case of 2AM getting hurt.  I don't think we are as thin at QB as what some people think.  But....Martinez is our starting QB and there's a reason for that.

I don't think anyone is saying to permanently bench him.  But there's been moments where a series or 2 seemed like it wouldn't be the worst thing at the time...in hindsight it was best to leave him in

8 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I don't think anyone is saying to permanently bench him.  But there's been moments where a series or 2 seemed like it wouldn't be the worst thing at the time...in hindsight it was best to leave him in

I'm not even for that.  This seems to be a mantra Husker fans have had for the last number of years.  If the starting QB has a bad series, sit him the next series.  I would love to have you give me examples of a major program this weekend that did that with their stud starting QB.....when the team is winning the game and the offense is scoring points.

You have to leave him in and let him work through it.  And....you don't know if the problem was actually pay calling or someone else doing something wrong on the field.  

Now, if he would completely fall apart and the offense is totally inept for multiple series and it's clear he's not coming out of the funk.....fine.  But, we haven't come anywhere close to that yet.

• Plus1 1