What did we Learn? (The NIU Huskies Edition)

58 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think his issues are all in his head. He needs to stop thinking so much and just let it flow.

I think moving with greater tempo would help with this. I'm not sure why the first string has been moving so slow, but then when the second string came in, the tempo was very fast. Run the play, line up, snap the ball, repeat

1 hour ago, Igetbored216 said:

What does this have to do with my question? Are you saying the second string was playing with more tempo because they were only in the game for a little bit? 

You can't get a good feel for how good a backup is when the game is already over. Fresh bodies will always look good on paper going into that situation.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I get the criticism of Martinez. There are times when he doesn't appear to be the same quarterback as he was last year. Everyone in the stands around us were saying this Saturday night.

But then you have a drive like this, the last drive of the first half, and he's decisive, goes through his progressions (especially on the pass to Robinson) and throws strike after strike.

I think his issues are all in his head. He needs to stop thinking so much and just let it flow.

I definitely agree it's in his head. I think it could be added complexities of reads Frost is asking for and him trying to avoid turnovers. In the scenario above a turnover isn't a huge detriment because of the time so he's focused on moving fast and finding receivers. He just seems to over think things on occasion and that is what people are seeing. However, he has done that less and less each week.

As Wan'Dale gets better and better at learning to find space and get open, I think it's hard to overstate just how much he's going to do for this offense. 

If JD doesn't declare for the draft, next year is going to be so hard for opponents to plan for. Wan'Dale can line up almost anywhere on the field on any given play.

I think we're going to see the double back set with him and Mo against Wisconsin. I know people have crapped on the idea that we've held back on the playbook, but we saw that film from fall camp videos of that set and I think it's coming...and I think it's going to be awesome.   :)

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not even for that.  This seems to be a mantra Husker fans have had for the last number of years.  If the starting QB has a bad series, sit him the next series.  I would love to have you give me examples of a major program this weekend that did that with their stud starting QB.....when the team is winning the game and the offense is scoring points.

You have to leave him in and let him work through it.  And....you don't know if the problem was actually pay calling or someone else doing something wrong on the field.  

Now, if he would completely fall apart and the offense is totally inept for multiple series and it's clear he's not coming out of the funk.....fine.  But, we haven't come anywhere close to that yet.

They should probably be sitting him some....

:sarcasm

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think we're going to see the double back set with him and Mo against Wisconsin. I know people have crapped on the idea that we've held back on the playbook, but we saw that film from fall camp videos of that set and I think it's coming...and I think it's going to be awesome.   :)

I'm pretty sure we saw this at least once in the NIU game.  I specifically remember the set and then Robinson motioned out of the backfield to the right.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not even for that.  This seems to be a mantra Husker fans have had for the last number of years.  If the starting QB has a bad series, sit him the next series.  I would love to have you give me examples of a major program this weekend that did that with their stud starting QB.....when the team is winning the game and the offense is scoring points.

You have to leave him in and let him work through it.  And....you don't know if the problem was actually pay calling or someone else doing something wrong on the field.  

Now, if he would completely fall apart and the offense is totally inept for multiple series and it's clear he's not coming out of the funk.....fine.  But, we haven't come anywhere close to that yet.

How many of those qb's have looked like they've regressed from last season?  It was mostly just a couple drives that stalled bc play calling was iffy or Martinez missed his receivers.  Running that qb draw twice on 3&11 in the first half :facepalm:

Like I said, in hindsight it was the right call not to sit him but I think there was some reasonable justification at one point.

1 hour ago, FTW said:

You can't get a good feel for how good a backup is when the game is already over. Fresh bodies will always look good on paper going into that situation.

Again, please reread what I originally posted. My post had nothing to do with "how good" they were. I was questioning why the second team's tempo was so much faster than the first team. 

The second team would line up quickly, run the play, and repeat. All with great speed. 

The first team would line up at an average pace, look over to the sidelines, make adjustments, run the play, and repeat. 

I feel like the first team, specifically Martinez, would benefit going faster.

4 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

Again, please reread what I originally posted. My post had nothing to do with "how good" they were. I was questioning why the second team's tempo was so much faster than the first team. 

I'm pretty sure for a lot of the second half, the first team offense was allowing time off the clock with no real reason to be an up tempo rhythm.  

Maybe when the second string came in, Frost wanted to see what they could do in an up tempo situation if needed.  

My point is, there's a lot that goes on other than just what we think we are seeing on the field.  I'm pretty sure the first team is capable of going up tempo if needed just like you saw the second team doing.

2 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

The second team would line up quickly, run the play, and repeat. All with great speed. 

The first team would line up at an average pace, look over to the sidelines, make adjustments, run the play, and repeat. 

I feel like the first team, specifically Martinez, would benefit going faster.

Would imagine the score/situation had a lot to do with the 2nd team's tempo.  No point in looking over for adjustments, just get in there and let 'em rip.

I would imagine the first team's pace also has to take into account the defense as well.  You don't want the defense out there for a hundred plays, especially against NIU early in the year in the heat/humidity.