Who should Never Trump Conservatives vote for/support?

Non- Trump Conservative - Who do we vote for in General Election  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I understand where the straight-line vote Dem thought process is coming from, but I fundamentally disagree with it. I'm never going to vote straight party line just because of party, and I try to research the candidates without taking their party affiliation into account. I'm going to vote for whomever I think is best for our country/state/city/school district, and no candidate will ever have a guarantee until the day that I cast my vote.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

I think you implied this but I wanted to clarify, " They don’t have to be independent and they don’t have to be conservative."  Does that totally rule out you voting for a Dem?  What is your rationale for closing that chapter?

And I don't think Buttegeig is totally out.  Still in the top 4-5 in most polls.  He's on my short list so Ive kept an eye on him.

Here's a question for you, and potentially for others or to add to the poll ... is there a VP candidate that the Dem nominee  can pick that would make the decision to vote for the democratic ticket an easier one for you?

VP candidates mean almost nothing to me. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I understand where the straight-line vote Dem thought process is coming from, but I fundamentally disagree with it. I'm never going to vote straight party line just because of party, and I try to research the candidates without taking their party affiliation into account. I'm going to vote for whomever I think is best for our country/state/city/school district, and no candidate will ever have a guarantee until the day that I cast my vote.

Nothing wrong with that, and anyone who tries to shame you for thinking this way can eat s#!t. There's no room in an actual republic for people to put other citizens on blast for refusing to be a slave to the bad choices that the masters of the broken game are placating us with.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Voting Blue down the line out of spite doesn't really sound like voting to me

For those that are doing it I don't think it's out of spite as much as out of a conviction that even the most incompetent Dems are preferable and better than what anyone associated with GOP practices can bring to the table.

I don't share that conviction necessarily but I can see why people would think it.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Redux said:

Voting Blue down the line out of spite doesn't really sound like voting to me

It's not out of spite.  It's because we've let our party slide to where it is, and it needs a kick in the a$$ to make a correction.

I'm already embarrassed to even ask for a Republican ballot in Omaha.  

edit:  I can clarify my embarrassment. I don't agree with all the talking points of Dem candidates but at least they are able to attempt to support them with numbers and research.  Republican candidates seem to only focus on "social media points".  Not saying it won't work for most voters, but it is an insult to me.  If Ben Sasse really thinks my vote depends on him selling Runzas, screw him!  I couldn't care less what he does on Saturdays unless it involves him using his Senate seat to stand up to government corruption.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Are there more Never Trump Conservatives today than there were in 2016?

You'd want to think so, but something tells me the number of people voting enthusiastically for Trump and holding their nose and voting for Trump hasn't changed much.

Conservatives who consider Trump a clown and an embarrassment would still marvel at the supply side economics, sweeping deregulation, social services cuts, and America first nationalism allowed to thrive under this administration. 

We probably shouldn't forget that this has been the Conservative endgame for years, and many of these policies are just as unseemly as Trump's personality. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I finally voted and put "other".  So, I guess I have to explain.

I absolutely will not vote for Trump.  So, someone else has to come forward that deserves my vote.  I am not willing to totally commit to voting for the Democrat candidate even though that probably has the highest chance of getting my vote.

I'm leaving it open.  I would absolutely love someone to honestly challenge Trump in the primaries and beat him.  That's a very small chance of happening.  

While I voted for the Dem candidate manly to emphasize the popular vote in the election - I too am hoping Kasich or other of some political weight gets into the primary process.  If news turns really bad on the economy, the whistle blower thing or on the impeachment side, then perhaps Kasich or another might jump in.  I wouldn't be surprise if Romney did- if it was apparent that Trump was going down via scandal or economy.

Like I said in my original post - as we get into fall of next year - we'll do a revote (hopefully I'll remember to add the question!).  A lot of water will pass under the bridge in that time frame. 

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, RedDenver said:

For a # of years, I had voted straight party.  2018 it was pretty much 50/50 for me.  Help to have that freedom of not being beholden to one party.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Here's a question for you, and potentially for others or to add to the poll ... is there a VP candidate that the Dem nominee  can pick that would make the decision to vote for the democratic ticket an easier one for you?

You asked, You received.  VP poll question now ready.

I voted yes - Mayor Pete, Talsi, - but more so - there are several Dem governors that are more conservative.  I think if a Senator is a nominee (most likely) it would be advisable for them to have a governor as VP.   Governors have to work both sides to be successful - unless you are a governor of a fully red or fully blue state. 

Regarding VP, I'm trying to remember...was it 2004 that there was a rumor that Kerry was going to tab McCain for his running mate? I thought at the time (and still do) that would have been a great ticket.

Recalling the heavy divisiveness of 2004 (nothing like today, but still, the fallout from the Iraq war and Bush's middling poll numbers), would a Kerry/McCain ticket have moved the needle among conservatives? How many centrists/independents would that have brought over?

And furthermore, do any of those relationships and personalities still exist in politics today - members of opposing parties willing to actually work together?

31 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Regarding VP, I'm trying to remember...was it 2004 that there was a rumor that Kerry was going to tab McCain for his running mate? I thought at the time (and still do) that would have been a great ticket.

Recalling the heavy divisiveness of 2004 (nothing like today, but still, the fallout from the Iraq war and Bush's middling poll numbers), would a Kerry/McCain ticket have moved the needle among conservatives? How many centrists/independents would that have brought over?

And furthermore, do any of those relationships and personalities still exist in politics today - members of opposing parties willing to actually work together?

It was McCain/Liberman for sure (then Steve Schmidt went and pushed Palin).  McCain went to his deathbed regretting he didn't do it.

Good read for those interested in the idea, "Team of Rivals" by Joyce Kearns Goodwin.

42 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

You asked, You received.  VP poll question now ready.

I voted yes - Mayor Pete, Talsi, - but more so - there are several Dem governors that are more conservative.  I think if a Senator is a nominee (most likely) it would be advisable for them to have a governor as VP.   Governors have to work both sides to be successful - unless you are a governor of a fully red or fully blue state. 

I like the idea of Warren picking Steve Bullock.  D winner in a super red state.  Gov.  Would appeal to some GOP Never Trumpers (I think  - you all could confirm that)

27 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I like the idea of Warren picking Steve Bullock.  D winner in a super red state.  Gov.  Would appeal to some GOP Never Trumpers (I think  - you all could confirm that)

Yes, he was one of the guys I was thinking of. Also Hickleickrdoperlooper (however you spell his crazy name - I think of Clem Kadiddlehopper from Red Skelton days) ok it is Hickenlooper .   

40 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

It was McCain/Liberman for sure (then Steve Schmidt went and pushed Palin).  McCain went to his deathbed regretting he didn't do it.

Good read for those interested in the idea, "Team of Rivals" by Joyce Kearns Goodwin.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Lieberman and that potential combination. 

I googled the Kerry/McCain thing - apparently it was talked about/vetted/polled but never gained a lot of traction. They said it would be an "unbeatable" ticket.

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-05-27-kerry-mccain-poll_x.htm

McCain ultimately told Kerry no and supported Bush that year.