Best places to go in Champaign Illinois

edro

1 hour ago, edro said:

I'm headed to the game in Champaign Illinois, where are some of the best places to hang out at in that city? Where are the husker fans going to be?

Best places?- Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis. 

J/k. Going to college towns for away games is the best part of football. Keep us posted on the bar scene in Champaign and how many Husker friendlies  are out and about 

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Teach and a few of our other friends went to Champaign 4 years ago.  They hit up KAMS, which I understand may be the most disgusting college bar in the U.S., so that may the place to check out.

I was there for that drizzly day, Rileyesque clusterf#&%.  It was the first Husker game I took my son to.  We gave up two TDs in the 4th quarter to lose by a point.  Gave up a 50 yard pass with less than a minute to go.  And then the Illini scored with just a few seconds on the clock.   What a terrible game.  /shakes head.    

Oh yeah, I can't remember where we ate.  I've done my best to block that day out of my memory.  So I got nothing for this thread.  

2 hours ago, edro said:

I'm headed to the game in Champaign Illinois, where are some of the best places to hang out at in that city? Where are the husker fans going to be?

Sorry for the silly response up there. I know you're genuinely asking, but a lot of folks here won't know what to do - we're asking the same questions.

I did some digging for you and these are the suggestions from folks who went to UIUC (University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana). Your interest may vary depending on your age. Don't know if you're more into art or college bars.

Black Dog - this seems to be universally regarded as pretty good smokehouse food

Zorbas - Mediterranean food with an arty twist

Triptych Brewing - a microbrew pub

Jarling's Custard Cup - dessert

Krannert Art Museum - if art is your thing

That's all I got for now. Not sure what you're into, really.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, NUance said:

I was there for that drizzly day, Rileyesque clusterf#&%.  It was the first Husker game I took my son to.  We gave up two TDs in the 4th quarter to lose by a point.  Gave up a 50 yard pass with less than a minute to go.  And then the Illini scored with just a few seconds on the clock.   What a terrible game.  /shakes head.    

Oh yeah, I can't remember where we ate.  I've done my best to block that day out of my memory.  So I got nothing for this thread.  

And you met me haha. Yeah that was a rough one.

University Avenue has tons of food places, bars and random shops to tide your interest for a while and is within walking distance of the stadium. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, NUance said:

I am well aware at what happened during that game.  Riley had Armstrong throw the ball over the place in the 2nd half when NU had the lead and it was cold, rainy, and windy.  I understand Armstrong passed on the 3rd down bootleg, and the play call was a bootleg run, but why even tempt fate in that situation.  A plunge into the middle would have killed 40 more seconds off the clock, and Illinois wouldn't have had time to drive the length of the field for the TD.

I stayed home in Denver that weekend, as I was seeing Chris Cornell in concert that Friday night.  From the terrible bars my friends went to and the terrible weather and game result, I was so glad I stayed home that weekend.

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

And you met me haha. Yeah that was a rough one.

University Avenue has tons of food places, bars and random shops to tide your interest for a while and is within walking distance of the stadium. 

Oh I remember.  You were about 6 inches taller than I thought you'd be.  And you were wearing less denim than I expected.  lulz

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm writing this as I'm driving to champagne right now. I'm looking for a good sports bar or pre game bar or even a Friday night bar. Good place to have a beer and hang out with other husker fans I'm a middle aged husker fan, attended UNL in the 90s.  Looking for the Barry's/Haymarket type vibe areas, if those exist.

7 minutes ago, edro said:

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm writing this as I'm driving to champagne right now. I'm looking for a good sports bar or pre game bar or even a Friday night bar. Good place to have a beer and hang out with other husker fans I'm a middle aged husker fan, attended UNL in the 90s.  Looking for the Barry's/Haymarket type vibe areas, if those exist.

I haven’t been to Champaign, but I don’t think they are as into the football games as NU fans or other places in the conference. I have heard it ranks near the bottom in terms of Gameday atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, NUance said:

Weather was awful.    I had no trouble getting out of Champaign quickly.