Interesting defensive stat we are top 5 nationally

lo country

Reading an article on how we match up with Illinois came across this statistic through 3 games for the D:

238: Number of plays the Blackshirts have defended through three games (79.3 per game), more than all but four Division I teams out of 130.

That is a crazy amount of plays.  Easy to see that fatigue truly played apart in that game against CU.  Interesting to see what Frost and Co do moving forward.  Read that Frost had mentioned trying to help the D out, but getting points was more important.  If we don't score is when it becomes an issue.

• Plus1 1

The offense needs to go fast to do what it does. Altering to try and control clock will cause problems as we've seen to some degree this year already I think.

This is where depth will help tremendously,  so it's critical to be in situations where guys can rotate in on defense to get experience.   3/4/5 guys playing at every position will keep fresh legs and I think it will be enticing for recruits moving forward.   Lots of playing time to go around as this offense should score a lot, but almost always lose the T.O.P. battle. 

• Plus1 1

Here is the quote from Frost about TOP:

A caller to the show asked Frost if there's a specific point where he worries the defense has been out there too long because the offense is going at such a pace.

"Really, I think the problem lies when the offense is out on the field and don't score. If we're not on the field very long, we're not giving the defense time to rest and we don't come away with any points, then it becomes an issue," Frost said. "If we're on the field and score fast, you wouldn't trade that for any other result.

"We got to be smart about it. I think it hurt us at the end of one game this year – leaving our defense out that long. We got to be a more efficient offense. Pick our spots with tempo. But we still need to call what we need to call on offense to give ourselves the best chance to score. Because at the end of the game, the score means more than time of possession."

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-coach-Scott-Frost-on-Adrian-Martinez-before-Big-Ten-game-against-Illinois-135822637/

• Plus1 1

We knew this offense could severely stress our defense with TOP and the number of plays to defend. It’s basically a feast or famine situation and there’s been a bit too much famine thus far. We seemed to make some pretty good strides in the NIU game and I think this situation is well on the way to being corrected. I really believe that Frost was too conservative in the first two games, as he acknowledged, and that was hampering the offense and more specifically 2AM. We are all aware how that UCF offense operated and also Oregon. Going forward I’m not too worried about Frost reverting to safe and conservative as it hasn’t been his style so that should greatly help out the D and this particular stat.