*** Official Illinois Game Thread ***

suh_fan93

Just now, krc1995 said:

This isn’t a me issue. This is Frost being upset that the media wrote something critical of him after last week. 

I guess Frost could get thicker skin, but he called a good game tonight. There were so many plays wide open against that cover 2 zone. Frost didn’t call for the Mills fumble play when he’s back at his 2 yard line.  Given the top 2 RB’s were injured, I thought Frost called a very good game. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I guess Frost could get thicker skin, but he called a good game tonight. There were so many plays wide open against that cover 2 zone. Frost didn’t call for the Mills fumble play when he’s back at his 2 yard line.  Given the top 2 RB’s were injured, I thought Frost called a very good game. 

Tonight was fine. I would preferred some TE slants, but a win is a win

but he was referencing articles written last week after the NIU win. Apparently the media wrote articles that were critical of his play calling without asking questions to him about why he called the plays he did. 

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Tonight was fine. I would preferred some TE slants, but a win is a win

but he was referencing articles written last week after the NIU win. Apparently the media wrote articles that were critical of his play calling without asking questions to him about why he called the plays he did. 

I listened to the press conference. Tonight wasn’t a time to be questioning the play calling. 

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, 559Husker said:

Ohio St is going to run riot on this D.

I don’t really understand this. If we don’t turn the ball over on our side of the field 4 times this game isn’t even close. The defense wasn’t the problem or the reason the game was close, it was ball security & penalties that kept the game close.

With that said, our D allowed less than 300 total yards, their QB’s combined to complete 9/24 passes for a total of 78 yards. Their starting QB had a QB rating of 13.3. 

They did run for 221 yards on us, but 66 yards of that was on one play where an over anxious defender got sucked in, he stayed home for the most part thereafter. Take away that one big chunk play and Illinois ran 61 plays for 233 yards which translates to like 3.8 YPP.... not great, especially considering over 98 plays Nebraska ran they averaged 6.8 YPP.

Look I’m not saying we are going to wipe the floor with Ohio State, but it’s got the makings to be a much more competitive game than most think. I’m betting it’ll be a one score affair. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

To beat Ohio State, the Huskers will need a 4 or 5 advantage in the turnovers and about 80 yards in penalty yards edge as well.   We will need all of our injured players healthy and plenty of good luck on a number of plays.  The officiating will need to be 'helpful' as well.

This rarely happens for us.   

Nearly all the predictions have had us losing to Ohio State and frankly, I think most observers would say, the Buckeyes look better than expected and Huskers have disappointed, so the chances of winning Saturday are much lower than before the season began.

Probably a 3 or 4 TD loss.   We will all want to be prepared to be happy to keep the game reasonably close. 

11 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

To beat Ohio State, the Huskers will need a 4 or 5 advantage in the turnovers and about 80 yards in penalty yards edge as well.   We will need all of our injured players healthy and plenty of good luck on a number of plays.  The officiating will need to be 'helpful' as well.

Nearly all the predictions have had us losing to Ohio State and frankly, I think most observers would say, the Buckeyes look better than expected and Huskers have disappointed, so the chances of winning Saturday are much lower than before the season began.

Probably a 3 or 4 TD loss.   We will all want to be prepared to be happy to keep the game reasonably close. 

Highly likely and very disappointing at the same time year 1 lose to Ohio state by 5 at their house, year 2 may get blown out at home. 

9 hours ago, FTW said:

I think the final product today is what we'd like to see every week obviously it's going to be tough to do week in and week out. But we ran a lot of power runs in this game and a lot of plays. Don't know what SF said after the first half but whatever it was, the team and AM really stepped up. Wan'Dale had a coming out party finally.

I did like what we did.  Kept pounding the ball and more designed QB runs. Was good to see.  If we can get Mills and Mo healthy and keep Wan'dale healthy we look really good at RB moving forward.  

• Fire 1

I’m certainly not saying we will win next week, but to come out of the gates gloom and doom and speaking about a blowout after a win on the road that snapped a huge road game losing streak seems myopic. What nearly cost us this game were the turnovers, and if you take away the 21 points off those, this would have been a blowout for Nebraska. The turnover issue is a fixable issue, and while I’m not saying Huskers will wipe the floor with OSU if we hold onto the ball, I don’t think saying we are destined to lose and lose badly is fair, either. 

A couple things to think about... this is our 3rd night game in a row, and will be the first for OSU, so that might help things. They also have a true freshman quarterback who will be making his first start away from home in a hostile environment, under the lights. We were in far worse shape last year, and we kept it within 5. Ohio State looks phenomenal, as always. Nebraska looks like a neurotic mess that can’t seem to get out of their own heads and just play football, but they’re also showing a ton of progress and promise, and there’s a chance we can win if we stop trying to beat ourselves. 

Have some faith, y’all. 

• Fire 2
13 minutes ago, NebraskaBison said:

On the play where Illinois' offensive line didn't move, our defender did one of those "spear" tackles where they don't wrap up and hope the force of the hit knocks them down. Is this taught? 

That was Domann. I think maybe he figured he could force a fumble, I don't know for sure though

7 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

84, the bolded, is a true attorneys perspective, but conflicts with the very thing we as fans expect from our players. Expect to win, learn from a loss, be better tomorrow!

i don’ have anything to add to the balance of your comment.