What did we learn? (The Illinois edition, sponsored by Stickum brand adhesive)

12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m not mad and I know the rule but I still think it’s a stupid rule. Gotta admit it’s a loophole situation that has consequences far too serious for the kicking team. I mean we did not technically kick the ball out of bounds. It’s just a fluky deal that gave them way better field position than I think a team deserves in that situation.

There absolutely should be an exception to the rule when the ball is laying dead in the field of play before anyone touches it (for instance, if a ball was established as in-bounds before an out-of-bounds player touches it, the ball is dead at that point the out-of-bounds player touches it).

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I learned that this team finally found a way to win game that it would not have found in about the last 15 years. There’s plenty to be concerned about (turnovers & penalties) but overcoming 4 turnovers, 11 penalties, not giving up and still finding a way to win....I don’t think the importance of that for this program can be overstated.

As a coach, one of the good things that can happen is when the team plays poorly, yet still wins. The coach can show the team that those mistakes can’t happen against better teams. Of course, the kids need to take those lessons to heart. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, hskrpwr13 said:

There absolutely should be an exception to the rule when the ball is lying dead in the field of play before anyone touches it (for instance, if a ball was established as in-bounds before an out-of-bounds player touches it, the ball is dead at that point the out-of-bounds player touches it).

But the ball isn’t established in bounds until the player touches it. I think people are mad because this rule went against Nebraska. As soon as the play happened, I knew what was going to happen. 

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

With 98 plays, there is going to be a few busts in line play. But I agree, the line played fairly well tonight. 

690 yards of offense and really no sacks and people are complaining about the line, hold onto the ball and the game is a blow out. 

3 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

There absolutely should be an exception to the rule when the ball is laying dead in the field of play before anyone touches it (for instance, if a ball was established as in-bounds before an out-of-bounds player touches it, the ball is dead at that point the out-of-bounds player touches it).

I am confused how that isn’t considered illegal touching.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

But the ball isn’t established in bounds until the player touches it. I think people are mad because this rule went against Nebraska. As soon as the play happened, I knew what was going to happen. 

Thats the flaw in the rule. Its one thing to catch a ball and land out of bounds. Its a different scenario when the ball is in bounds, on the ground, not moving. If it were a punt or a fumble the rule wouldn't apply. Its got nothing to do with it not working out in NU's favor.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Thats the flaw in the rule. Its one thing to catch a ball and land out of bounds. Its a different scenario when the ball is in bounds, on the ground, not moving. If it were a punt or a fumble the rule wouldn't apply. Its got nothing to do with it not working out in NU's favor.

If it were a fumble and the guy trying to recover the ball were out of bounds, the ball would be declared to go back to the team with the last possession.  But since this is a kick off the ball is declared to go back to the kick off and the kick off going out of bounds. 

1 hour ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I don’t know if it deserves an exception as much as I think they need to simply say that the only time the ball gets spotted at the 35 is when the kick actually goes out of bounds. My opinion is that basically we did nothing wrong. I say spot it like a normal touchback at the 25. That would still be good deal for the receiving team and not overly punitive for the kicking team. JMO

• Plus1 3
50 minutes ago, Whs from cb said:

Question:   When the ball ended up on the four yard line on the kick off and the player from Ill went out of bounds and touched the ball ,  why did the ball end up at the 35 yard line?

They said it counted as a kick out of bounds since the player was out of bounds when he touched it. Smart play by the return man buy a dumb loop hole

• Plus1 1
Just now, JJ Husker said:

I don’t know if it deserves an exception as much as I think they need to simply say that the only time the ball gets spotted at the 35 is when the kick actually goes out of bounds. My opinion is that basically we did nothing wrong. I say spot it like a normal touchback at the 20. That would still be good deal for the receiving team and not overly punitive for the kicking team. JMO

Nebraska kicked the ball near the sideline and the player which established possession was out of bounds. Thus, the kick is declared out of bounds. 

Just now, LumberJackSker said:

They said it counted as a kick out of bounds since the player was out of bounds when he touched it. Smart play by the return man buy a dumb loop hole

I’m still trying to figure out why this is a dumb loop hole. Whenever the ball is touched by a player out of bounds, the ball is considered out of bounds. It’s not a loop hole, it’s the rule with every play.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m still trying to figure out why this is a dumb loop hole. Whenever the ball is touched by a player out of bounds, the ball is considered out of bounds. It’s not a loop hole, it’s the rule with every play.

I dont like that they then get the ball at the 35. Doesn't really matter though might never see that kind of play on a kick off the rest of the season.