What did we learn? (The Illinois edition, sponsored by Stickum brand adhesive)

I learned we won ugly.  Very ugly.  But it was a win.

We are still a work in progress from the talent to the staff.

A lot of good to great pieces in place.  Just have to come together.

Hard for any team to get double digit penalties, give up for TO's, have no kicker, start pretty much every play almost in your own endzone and win.....We have some dudes to build around:

JD

Wand'dale

JoJo

Cam

Mo

And some others

Martinez finally looked like Martinez on that 2 point conversion

Illinois can hit.  They are a sound football team.

Hope injuries are not bad to Mo and Mills

Goals are intact, but with mistakes, miscues and struggling, I'll take  a bowl game at this point.  

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You said he might be better than Abdullah as a freshman. You are captain obvious of course he is better he had almost more yards in a game than Ameer had his whole freshman season. And Ameer isn't close to the reciever Wan'Dale is, no shade to Ameer.

I... I literally didn’t say that. I said he reminded me of a young Ameer. That’s literally it. 

9 hours ago, ebohnart said:

I learned that Robinson looks like Abdullah did as a freshman. 

Here’s the quote, actually. 

13 minutes ago, ebohnart said:

I... I literally didn’t say that. I said he reminded me of a young Ameer. That’s literally it. 

Here’s the quote, actually. 

Thats not what you said and since you quoted yourself you should know that. Maybe if you want to say the way Wan'dale runs reminds me of a young Ameer, say 'the way Wan'Dale runs reminds me of a young Ameer' instead of something different and people won't misunderstand your post. 

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I want to learn what is the Washington injury and is he playing next week 

NU radio guys were saying he went off to be evaluated for a concussion.  Which makes sense because he never came back to the sideline in the 2nd half.

But he also seemed to have a quad/hammy/knee issue as well before leaving for the locker room.

B1G network last night on “Final Drive” said they believe Wan’Dale is every bit as good as Rondale Moore. Those of us that have been watching know that, but it’s exciting for those that haven’t paid attention in the press to start calling it out. Ohio State struggled last year with Moore, so here’s to hoping that Washington and Robinson make some major plays against them this year too.

Maybe I’m crazy but...

1. Noa doesn’t seem to be running routes effectively. Stan got open a lot more than Noa. Every time a ball is thrown Noa’s way, he’s covered.

2. Mills is perplexing, and probably the most frustrating running back I’ve watched since Thunder Collins. 

3. The Area 51 dingbat festival actually worked! There was an Adrian Martinez siting!

37 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

B1G network last night on “Final Drive” said they believe Wan’Dale is every bit as good as Rondale Moore. Those of us that have been watching know that, but it’s exciting for those that haven’t paid attention in the press to start calling it out. Ohio State struggled last year with Moore, so here’s to hoping that Washington and Robinson make some major plays against them this year too.

Maybe I’m crazy but...

1. Noa doesn’t seem to be running routes effectively. Stan got open a lot more than Noa. Every time a ball is thrown Noa’s way, he’s covered.

2. Mills is perplexing, and probably the most frustrating running back I’ve watched since Thunder Collins. 

3. The Area 51 dingbat festival actually worked! There was an Adrian Martinez siting!

Noa was a slot receiver for Cal.  He's being asked to play an outside receiver for NU.  It's a completely different skill set.  It's rare to have a guy like Spielman who can make that transition easily.  Noa doesn't have the speed or the strength that Stan had.  Stan and Spielman are almost built like RB's, and have the strength to make catches downfield.  Noa's drop of a perfectly placed pass by Adrian was frustrating and was a huge play at the time.

I am not sure what Mills' deal is.  I didn't like the outside zone runs called for him in the first quarter (after Mo got dinged up).  The fumbling is a huge issue.

• Plus1 1

I learned how much opposing teams enjoy having Nebraska come to town.

1.  It was the largest crowd at Illinois since 2011. 

2.  The local food vendors at the stadium told me they have never seen it so busy.

3. Nebraska fans enjoy their beer. Anytime I saw someone walking around with multiple bottles in their hands, it was a Husker fan. 

• Plus1 2

I learned that my heart can't take first quarters like the one last night.

I re-watched the game and didn't have a panic attack after knowing the outcome prior to re-watching. 

I am a head case when it comes to the huskers

This team has heart and I am proud of them for pulling this one out.

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Noa was a slot receiver for Cal.  He's being asked to play an outside receiver for NU.  It's a completely different skill set.  It's rare to have a guy like Spielman who can make that transition easily.  Noa doesn't have the speed or the strength that Stan had.  Stan and Spielman are almost built like RB's, and have the strength to make catches downfield.  Noa's drop of a perfectly placed pass by Adrian was frustrating and was a huge play at the time.

I am not sure what Mills' deal is.  I didn't like the outside zone runs called for him in the first quarter (after Mo got dinged up).  The fumbling is a huge issue.

It’s hard to say Noa dropped that pass when he somehow made no contact with the ball. And I have been a Mills skeptic since game one. He has no idea how to protect the ball while running and he seems to think he can run through and body since he likes to run right into the D-line or I could just be that his vision is terrible and thinks the hole is bigger than it is.