What did we learn? (The Illinois edition, sponsored by Stickum brand adhesive)

1 hour ago, Decked said:

It’s truly amazing to me how we amassed such yardage while having four turnovers, mediocre OL play in the first half & Adrian still not back to full force (although he has his moments as we saw). 

Imagine if one or two or these were corrected. Dear lord. We could have hung 800-900 on them. 

I agree. I'm hoping this was a wakeup call for the offense to get their s#!t together. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I learned there are a lot of people on the Game thread who rarely post on other threads, and most of them hate Nebraska football. 

Those threads are sad, amazing, and entertaining all at the same time.  Fun if you're a reasonable fan/person.  So many WILD swings and overreactions in games like this.

I learned that there are varying opinions on the performance that AM had. Actually, I see and hear fans say through all the games, something is off with him. I too see indecision’s and he for some reason doesn’t look as quick in running. Looking at his stats,  they do not necessarily reflect what is being stated.

One fan was convinced that AM has something happening behind the scenes personally, or he is gambling and working the point spread. I said I would have a hard time believing that, but it was offered up, how do you explain his sudden running speed and decision making starting in the 3rd qt, carrying into the 4th.

Same player, two separate levels of play. I said they call that youth, but then the comment after 4 games,  the players should be comfortable enough playing at a high level, and the effort should be consistent. 

AM, did a solid job IMO once he settled in, but had moments of lapse. I saw the BTN interviews and they heaped praise on him. To me, his performance was somewhere in the middle, not as bad as some were saying, but not excellent as some of the press is throwing out there. 

We won and got the monkey off our teams back in regard to road loss streak. Next week, we find out how we compare to a team who is getting a fair amount of. National respect with ties to the playoffs. 

Learned a forward pass can be a fumble.

Sloppy game.

Liked watching Wandale and Maurice make difference with their playmaking abilities.

Trust the process.  We are Frost forever so just try to build upon things.  Frost said something after the game we could easily be 2-2 or 4-0 and how different the reactions would be to those.  We are 3-1 and that seems right for what I have observed.  

I hope we pull out all the stops for OSU.   

• Fire 1
14 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Is it really your intention to argue that we've been particularly good at finding ways to win games in our recent past?

No. It's my intention to argue that it's not true that we haven't won a decent number of games like this over the last 15 years. The ones I listed weren't even all of them where we started out terrible, had our backs against the wall, turned the ball over a ton, and still found a way to win. I'm not arguing anything other than your claim about this team compared to the last 15 years isn't true.

Robinson is insane. Did Illinois players insult him or his family? He was running like a crazy person, not going down easily, and initiating contact with Illinois players. He's maybe 180 lbs., and honestly I would be surprised if he weighed that much. I agree with the person that said he looked like Abdullah running the ball. Quick, shifty, and extremely physical. 

Washington is special too. Hopefully his injury (injuries) isn't (aren't) serious. He had a few cuts that were absolutely insane. 

The offense looks better when they move with tempo. I think when they move fast, they think less, and rely more on muscle memory (i.e., they apply what they have repped in practice). The offense is very fun to watch when they are in rhythm. 

How about the direct snaps to the RB? 

Defense had some miscues, specifically a MLB, but they look like they get a little better each week. They definitely need to work on their angles more. Lots of players taking just really bad angles to the ball carrier. 

It feels pretty good to be on the winning side of a game like this. 

The kicking situation is really unfortunate. Not much more I can say about it. 

Hopefully we can build on this game and give Ohio St a scare next week. 

Things i learned: 

1) a switch flipped in Adrian in the second half and he absolutely balled out. 

2) Mills - every time he shows flashes of being a really good back, he fumbles... if he continues to have ball security issues, he has to sit

3) Hopefully coach Chins figures out the right way to defend the overload formation that Illinois killed us on by running weak side

4) Irregardless of everything that went wrong - turnovers, penalties, bad calls by the refs, etc... this team found a way to win. We've got to play better against the good teams on the schedule, but games like this over the past few years have consistently resulted in us finding any way to lose the game. It's great that they figured out how to win one. 

We have to figure something out with our kicking game. We had a terrible combination all night of not being able to kick it deep into the end zone on kickoffs combined then with bad coverage and it seemed like they were constantly getting to start drives around the 30-35. 

So then even if they got a 3 & out but moved the ball let's say close to the 40...their awesome punter blasts it over JD's head and was landing it deep all night. 

We've made some really good strides on special teams but we need Pickering, bad!

4 hours ago, TAKODA said:

I learned that there are varying opinions on the performance that AM had. Actually, I see and hear fans say through all the games, something is off with him. I too see indecision’s and he for some reason doesn’t look as quick in running. Looking at his stats,  they do not necessarily reflect what is being stated.

One fan was convinced that AM has something happening behind the scenes personally, or he is gambling and working the point spread. I said I would have a hard time believing that, but it was offered up, how do you explain his sudden running speed and decision making starting in the 3rd qt, carrying into the 4th.

Same player, two separate levels of play. I said they call that youth, but then the comment after 4 games,  the players should be comfortable enough playing at a high level, and the effort should be consistent. 

AM, did a solid job IMO once he settled in, but had moments of lapse. I saw the BTN interviews and they heaped praise on him. To me, his performance was somewhere in the middle, not as bad as some were saying, but not excellent as some of the press is throwing out there. 

We won and got the monkey off our teams back in regard to road loss streak. Next week, we find out how we compare to a team who is getting a fair amount of. National respect with ties to the playoffs. 

I think you explain Martinez's difference as a young kid working through the mental side of the game. In the second half there was no more time to think or wait. He just had to rely on his ability and go and we saw what that meant. Physically all of his ability is still there. He's just working through the mental side of his position and it'll come. Lots of players deal with that. 

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

No. It's my intention to argue that it's not true that we haven't won a decent number of games like this over the last 15 years. The ones I listed weren't even all of them where we started out terrible, had our backs against the wall, turned the ball over a ton, and still found a way to win. I'm not arguing anything other than your claim about this team compared to the last 15 years isn't true.

Smart decision to cherry pick my response and ignore the part where I pretty much conceded the original 15 year period I stated was maybe not as accurate as the last four years. Where do I send the internet win points to?

And for future reference when dealing with me, please realize that I don’t really give two sh#ts about things that happened under Callahan, Pelini or Riley and I probably don’t know what I’m talking about within those time periods because I was distraught with the state of affairs and about half tuned out. I may be old and the memory fading but the 80’s and 90’s are much more in my wheelhouse than any of the crap that transpired under those 3 coaches. Sorry that those years coincide with your big Husker fan years.

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Smart decision to cherry pick my response and ignore the part where I pretty much conceded the original 15 year period I stated was maybe not as accurate as the last four years. Where do I send the internet win points to?

And for future reference when dealing with me, please realize that I don’t really give two sh#ts about things that happened under Callahan, Pelini or Riley and I probably don’t know what I’m talking about within those time periods because I was distraught with the state of affairs and about half tuned out. I may be old and the memory fading but the 80’s and 90’s are much more in my wheelhouse than any of the crap that transpired under those 3 coaches. Sorry that those years coincide with your big Husker fan years.

Hey I'm a young guy, be thankful you're older and weren't a kid with fleeting memories of the times when we were actually good :P

20 hours ago, Landlord said:

Not sure I understand what you're talking about. How is this notably different than...

2009 Missouri when we were down 12-0 in the fourth with a completely anemic offense?

2011 Ohio State when we were down by 21 points halfway through the third quarter?

2012 Wisconsin when we were down by 17 points halfway through the third quarter?

2013 Northwestern when Tommy threw three picks, including one with only 2:25 left in the game, and we won on a Hail Mary?

2014 Iowa when we were down by 17 points halfway through the third quarter?

If a receiver goes out of bounds and catches the ball, or even touches the ball, it's an incomplete pass due to the ball/receiver being out of bounds. The kick returner didn't go out of bounds and then come back in bounds. 

2011 Ohio State was a gimme.  Joe Bauserman was one of the worst Big Ten backup QBs Nebraska has faced since entering the Big Ten.