What did we learn? (The Illinois edition, sponsored by Stickum brand adhesive)

12 hours ago, jassman24 said:

It’s hard to say Noa dropped that pass when he somehow made no contact with the ball. And I have been a Mills skeptic since game one. He has no idea how to protect the ball while running and he seems to think he can run through and body since he likes to run right into the D-line or I could just be that his vision is terrible and thinks the hole is bigger than it is. 

He jumped in the air some and he knew he was going to get jacked like JD Speilman had he caught it so I think it was a bit mental.  I hope the high snaps and high throws go away sooner than later.

• Thanks 1

What I learned...

A win is a good thing and there were a lot of great individual efforts...BUT...this team is still so inconsistent I have no idea what's going to happen next.  

The O line would look great one play and get buried on the next...the D line would stuff the run on one play and get gashed on the next.  Martinez looks like crap for the first half and then lights it up in the second.  Total inconsistency.

Personally, I think the offense may have turned a corner and could have some good games ahead of them.  The defense still needs work.  The coverage is far from spectacular.  Speed is lacking on the outside and pressure from the D line is really unimpressive.  

The most important thing I learned, however, is that I would like to play Louisiana-Monroe every weekend and that Purdy is waaaay ahead of Martinez in Heismann votes.

• Plus1 2

To save a click...

Safety

Marquel Dismuke, Nebraska

Nebraska got another victory on the heels of strong coverage, limiting Illinois to just a 49.5 passer rating as a team. Dismuke played an integral part in the win as he didn’t allow a single reception on four targets as the primary defender and came away with three pass breakups. He made seven solo tackles, five defensive stops and didn’t miss a single tackle.

Lamar Jackson made their second-team CB, too.