A couple of plays I am confused about?

First asking about the Martinez pass that was ruled a fumble after the safety dropped it. They reviewed the play and gave it to Illni at the 14. Was that play not blown dead prior to Illii picking it up? Could not hear the whistles on TV of course. Announcers mentioned a whistle but never confirmed anything. An inadvertent whistle should had us replay the down, well at least that would have been the ruling years back.

Next question: the kickoff of ours that was inbounds and died at the 3. Their player went around sprawled the sideline and recovered with most of his body out of bounds. Okay, I guess you can give yourself up if you field it inside the 10. So why would they get the ball at the 35 and not the 25. This ruling seemed about as horrible as anything I have seen in years. New rule?

Lastly something that was missed was JD catching a pass and running up the sideline when the safety clearly hit him helmet to helmet on the sideline. Why was targeting not called?? Can Frost asked that they take a look? Can the booth official call down to head official and state they want to review this hit?

Been a few years since i was a referee so I know rules change a lot but trying to get up to speed with these.

thanks

• Thanks 2

The Illinois player touching the ball while he was out of bounds on the kickoff was just a smart play.  I was at a party so couldn't hear what they were saying about it on tv.  I was upset at the time but didn't know the rule.  Sometimes the other team makes smart plays and that was one of them.

I still don't know what happened on the Martinez pass/fumble.  Was there a whistle or not?  If there wasn't why didn't they give Illinois a TD since their player picked it up and ran into the endzone.  If there was, why wasn't it a dead ball?  Again, I couldn't hear what the announcers were saying.

The JD catch and run was clearly head to head.  I don't know if a coach can ask for a review and automatically be granted one or if the officials chose whether to honor the request.  Maybe the conference will look at it this week and determine if the player needs to sit for half next week?  

Rewatched the game this morning. On the incomplete pass ruled fumble after replay and recovered by Illinois at the 14, it was a total blown call by the replay official. It was a fumble, but there was a clear whistle that blew the play dead about 5 seconds before Illinois recovered the ball at the 14. Overturning the incomplete pass was probably correct, but giving the ball to Illinois at the 14 was completely wrong. All players stopped pursuing the ball after the whistle blew except those two Illinois players. It should have remained Nebraska's ball at the spot of the fumble. This blown call directly led to 7 points for Illinois.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, JJkinz said:

Rewatched the game this morning. On the incomplete pass ruled fumble after replay and recovered by Illinois at the 14, it was a total blown call by the replay official. It was a fumble, but there was a clear whistle that blew the play dead about 5 seconds before Illinois recovered the ball at the 14. Overturning the incomplete pass was probably correct, but giving the ball to Illinois at the 14 was completely wrong. All players stopped pursuing the ball after the whistle blew except those two Illinois players. It should have remained Nebraska's ball at the spot of the fumble. This blown call directly led to 7 points for Illinois.

The funny thing is that when I watched the play, I thought how head's up those players were for not quitting on the ball. They will be shown in films as to what to do when the ball hits the ground. I am surprised they didn't just give them a TD... though they did score in one or two plays... and the QB just waltzed in between two defenders. 

Just now, billdozer15 said:

I was confused by the playcall near the end of the game where we needed 5 inches and didnt QB sneak it...only to lead to a missed FG and needing to lean on our defense. I was shocked, stunned and dismayed.

QB sneak was probably the proper call, and Frost admitted that much after the game. I don’t think Frost got “cute” as some people have thought. He still went with a power run give to Mills (with a d-lineman) as his lead blocker. Illinois just blew up Nu’s left side of the line and made the tackle for loss. 

1 hour ago, JJkinz said:

there was a clear whistle that blew the play dead about 5 seconds before Illinois recovered the ball

I was wondering if the videos in the replay booth have audio or not, since the refs apparently ignored their own whistle.

4 hours ago, rdwoodpecker said:

First asking about the Martinez pass that was ruled a fumble after the safety dropped it. They reviewed the play and gave it to Illni at the 14. Was that play not blown dead prior to Illii picking it up? Could not hear the whistles on TV of course. Announcers mentioned a whistle but never confirmed anything. An inadvertent whistle should had us replay the down, well at least that would have been the ruling years back.

Next question: the kickoff of ours that was inbounds and died at the 3. Their player went around sprawled the sideline and recovered with most of his body out of bounds. Okay, I guess you can give yourself up if you field it inside the 10. So why would they get the ball at the 35 and not the 25. This ruling seemed about as horrible as anything I have seen in years. New rule?

Lastly something that was missed was JD catching a pass and running up the sideline when the safety clearly hit him helmet to helmet on the sideline. Why was targeting not called?? Can Frost asked that they take a look? Can the booth official call down to head official and state they want to review this hit?

Been a few years since i was a referee so I know rules change a lot but trying to get up to speed with these.

thanks

On the “fumble” a couple of Nebraska media members in the press box tweeted that the sideline official ran onto the field waving hands in the air, which means dead ball.  I’m assuming he was also blowing his whistle.  Strange call.  

Never heard art of the out of bounds rule on the kickoff.  I was thinking why isn’t there an illegal touching on kickoffs.  He went out of bounds on his own will and then touched the ball.

I bet Illinois is confused about the block in the back that was reversed against us.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I don’t think Martinez fumbled. He had enough control to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage, the defender certainly didn’t punch it out there. In the olden days that’s an incomplete pass.

I feel like a bunch of nuts got hold of the rule book.

And the OPs comment about the spotting of the ball is right as well...how did they come to that decision?

Already went over with ColoHusk how I think the inbounds kickoff being ruled out is plumb stupid. Needs changed.

What I’m wondering, .... is the minimum age to be a referee 60?

Whats with all these old gray men on the field?

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1